Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone could help.

I've been doing my Computer Science A-level for just over a year now at my Sixth Form. I'm really enjoying it and it has become my favourite subject. I didn't do the subject at GCSE but I was wondering where could I do a Computer Science GCSE because I've had a really long conversation with both my Computer Science teachers today who have said that doing a Computer Science GCSE would be beneficial for me and help me grasp the A-level content a bit better.

They said that if I wanted to I could drop from the A-level and go and sit in with the main school Year 10 GCSE Computer Science students and then do the Computer Science A-level at College.

The reason we had this conversation is because I really want to be a Computer Science teacher. Both teachers said that now because the Exams are harder I need to know the basics of Computer Science and therfore building my knowledge up from GCSE is better and far more beneficial.

Do you guys think this is do-able - bearing in mind I have 2 other A-levels to think about and revise for with exams in May and June or could I find an online Computer Science GCSE course and still do the A-level but go at my own pace with the online GCSE when I have free time? Where could I do an online GCSE Computer Science course?

ReputationRep:
    Why can you not do them simultaneously?

People do extra A-Levels...

I mean just have both books open whenever you tackle a new subject. Read the GCSE one first. You dont need a formal qualification in something to understand and apply it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DWSWLM)
    Why can you not do them simultaneously?

People do extra A-Levels...

I mean just have both books open whenever you tackle a new subject. Read the GCSE one first. You dont need a formal qualification in something to understand and apply it.
    Ok. Thank you.

So I don't need the GCSE Computer Science to become a Computer Science teacher?

ReputationRep:
    https://www.cambridgegcsecomputing.org

I doubt you would be able to study Computer Science online as it would be hard to do the coursework! Why not take a look at this website and also some Computing/Computer Science Past papers and do those, also buy some GCSE textbooks! I doubt you'd need a GCSE in it if you got a good grade at A Level!

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be possible to take online as you'd need to undertake the NEA which would have to be done under supervision. Despite what your teachers have said I can't see any value in taking a GCSE in Computer Science now. Yes you ought to learn the content(if it hasn't come up in A level) but taking the GCSE would be waste of time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.