Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

hi guys,
    ive got xmas exams coming up and i need some new techniques for revision. anyone got any suggestions?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

People come up with all manner of crazy revision techniques, from simply making posters and writing out notes, to writing songs to remember terms or rules. Personally I do whatever keeps me motivated ( I revise in a manner I’m most likely to enjoy ) as I find this most efficient. What subjects and to what level are you trying to revise?
    Here are some websites that might give you a bit of general inspiration:

Mm, I do a variety of revision techniques for different subjects!

- I don't know the name for it but, for example take a key word from one of your subjects. Take the term 'growth' in my subject this refers to an increase in measurable quantity, such as height and weight. So I drew pictures to help me to remember; I drew a ruler, an arrow going up and weights.
    - Mind dump (I don't personally find this helpful, but you might!), you just write down everything you can remember from a specific subject area, then see what you missed.
    - Mind maps, or any other format, to condense the information down. For example for one subtopic I can have 5 pages of notes that I need to know, but I am able to reword the information in a similar way to 2 pages, as well as highlighting the key words.
    - Quizlet! This has really helped me, e.g https://quizlet.com/Bethg5 - This is mine. For me it helps in two ways; you have to get your work out and go through it, reading everything - see how you want to word the information and then you can do mini games using the information. You can include pictures and label the diagram if you want.
    - Past papers! always helpful to see how the questions will be worded, a question looking for the same answer could be worded differently! check with your teacher. For example, I take sociology and got these questions "Outline the nature of religion", "Explain the definitions of religion," I didn't know this at the time but these questions are both after the same answer.
    - Flashcards. Question on one side and the answer on the other. Or sometimes I'd give someone my text book and ask them to ask me random questions.

those all sound great, thanks
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful revision links

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.