The Student Room Group

Studying maths and further maths and applying for law

I am currently in Year 12 and am studying maths,further maths, history and economics. If I were to drop history, would maths and further maths be considered as a weak combination for a law degree? I know some universities are happy to accept it- such as LSE, but I have seen in forums/heard that Cambridge and some others do not consider them as two subjects in an offer. Does anyone know any university in particular which does that?
Much help is appreciated:biggrin:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hi, I think some unis would be ok with the subjects you offer, but others might not.
I suggest that you don’t drop history as some unis are picky about the ‘Maths and further maths’ as a combo.
Would you consider dropping further maths ? Or doing 4 A levels ?
Double check anyway on the uni website if you have a rough idea of where uno you want to go
Original post by noel323
I am currently in Year 12 and am studying maths,further maths, history and economics. If I were to drop history, would maths and further maths be considered as a weak combination for a law degree? I know some universities are happy to accept it- such as LSE, but I have seen in forums/heard that Cambridge and some others do not consider them as two subjects in an offer. Does anyone know any university in particular which does that?
Much help is appreciated:biggrin:

Hello noel323,

It does depend on the University. Some places only consider further maths as a fourth A-Level as its more of an extension, but Maths and Economics are definitely fine. However, some places may be fine with it, I’d recommend emailing Cambridge / whatever universities you’re interested in just to be sure.

Maths, Economics and History would be a really strong combination, if you’d consider that? Essay based subjects (Eng Lit / History) Are generally considered the best prep for a Law degree.

x
Reply 4
@Ruser22 @FloralHybird thank you! I might just drop further maths or carry on with all four instead since I wouldn't want to risk anything:biggrin:
Reply 5
Yes, I was just worried about the further maths a level bit as one of the essential three subjects in a typical offer. Just wondering, are you studying law at a uni now? How are you finding it?

Quick Reply

Latest