The Student Room Group

Zimbabwe

Scroll to see replies

Because the army is taking out Mugabe. Robert Mugabe is a bad man and I have no idea how to feel about this.

A junta is terrible. But... Robert Mugabe. But a military takeover. But Robert Mugabe.

On the whole, since Robert Mugabe was so old I think it's a bad thing as he would have passed on soon. But... Robert Mugabe is a terrible person.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Because the army is taking out Mugabe.

Well, no. The army is taking out the likely prospect of Grace Mugabe succeeding her husband, and she has fled to Namibia, apparently. She and her allies have been removing competitors who, unfortunately for her, well in with the army.

It remains to be seen whether any of them will actually be any different from Mugabe himself, who placed them all.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Because the army is taking out Mugabe. Robert Mugabe is a bad man and I have no idea how to feel about this.

A junta is terrible. But... Robert Mugabe. But a military takeover. But Robert Mugabe.

On the whole, since Robert Mugabe was so old I think it's a bad thing as he would have passed on soon. But... Robert Mugabe is a terrible person.

The army are instigating it, but wait and see whether they carry on. They seem very much on the side of the recently-removed VP, so would likely be trying to install him as the President.
Original post by Ladbants
Cool, shame it declined so badly

Yep it’s due to his policies so it may change if he’s no longer around
Original post by Drewski
Well. Was...think that title has been rather stolen in the last year and a bit.

It's a much competed-for title. :rolleyes:
Original post by the bear
Rhodesia was a flourishing country .... now it has been trashed by the useless "Freedom Fighters" of Mr Mugabe.

One of the worst aspects was the dismal way the South African post-apartheid government insisted on preserving Mugabe rule despite all the overwhelming evidence of his ghastly policies - not least because Mandela wanted to stick by his old pal. Basically, Mandela cared more for that relationship than for the welfare of the great majority of the Zimbabwean people.

Compare and contrast with Kenya, which intelligently worked with the white farmers and post-colonial people to create one of the success stories of Africa, whilst carefully and progressively passing control to black people trained and educated in the tasks over decades rather than the abrupt takeovers of the plantings that Mugabe offered (or surrendered under pressure) to his troops.
Lol people are dying bro
Funny how you care all about America but when it comes to places like Iraq , Somalia , you get so pissed off. Fcking disgraceful piece of dirt :angry:
Original post by Emerald777O
Funny how you care all about America but when it comes to places like Iraq , Somalia , you get so pissed off. Fcking disgraceful piece of dirt :angry:

U wot m8?
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Africa is going to be the most important continent in the world at the end of the century.

By what metric?
Reply 30
Zimbabwe is an important country symbolically in Africa. Africa is going to be the most important continent in the world at the end of the century.

There is a reason the WHO chose Robert Mugabe as its goodwill ambassador.

Europeans are still stuck in the 20th century, still believing the world revolves around the West, ignoring their decline.

Might I ask how you came to this highly dubious conclusion?

4 billion in Africa -> overpopulation of (say) 3 billion -> that, but 30x worse

Africa is three times larger than China which currently supports 1.4 billion people. Sensible African countries will not allow their populations to triple.
Antarctica is also larger than China, you think that can also support 1.4 billion people?

Sensible African countries? Most are fantastically corrupt places. Most of sub-Saharan Africa let their countries' populations quadruple between 1950 and 2010, the population explosion outpacing the growth in electricity according to Bill Gates. The UN predicts 4 billion people by the end of the century, and I'm inclined to believe them.

Well we don't want such irresponsible idiots in Europe then, do we?
Original post by Drewski
Well. Was...think that title has been rather stolen in the last year and a bit.

HGAHAHAHHHAAHA took me 30 seconds to understand that
Reply 34
Goddamn TSR and its *****y code for making me rewrite this

1 billion in Africa -> overpopulation of (say) 100 million -> half of the refugee crisis that overturned European politics, and put Trump in charge of the most powerful nation on Earth
4 billion in Africa -> overpopulation of (say) 3 billion -> that, but 30x worse

I was more referring to your claim that Africa will become the world most important continent aha
Reply 35
Africa's population will grow relative to its food supply, Zimbabwe used to be a very important country for the production of food. Africa lacks knowledge, it lacks leadership, it lacks law. And no, the West isn't perfect, it has a lot of issues, but not as many as Africa.
Where else would they go?

I don't know, but it makes no sense for the population of one continent to head to another which is only a third the size.
Europe's population would be collapsing without immigration.

Slight discomfort does not come into it without social cohesion, which clearly would not happen.
I was talking to a white Zimbabwean in South Africa recently in the bar of my hotel. He still lives there, one of the few remaining whites, because he loves the country, and has a great relationship with his black neighbours who hate the regime. His family go back years there.

He used to run a factory, and when Mugabe lost the plot and went all black empowerment he was fired. But the crony who was put in to replace him was clueless and the place went to pot. So they begged him to come back. They couldn’t publicly admit it, it was all done on a consultancy basis, but he got exactly the same money and just went in and ran the place again. You couldn’t make it up.

He said if you are driving on the road and Mugabe is going anywhere on the same highway, even ten miles away, the police pull you over to let him pass. Guess those days are past...

Just thought I would share. :biggrin:
Reply 39

Well, it won't be the most powerful for maybe another century or five. But it will perhaps be the most important continent this century for deciding the next millenia.

Could you please explain yourself as i'm not entirely sure i know what you mean?

Quick Reply

Latest