Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People say im a nice person, but i have no real friends. Can anyone else relate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im at sixth form and i finish in September.
    Im quite shy.
    I sometimes have conversations with class mates. but this only in class time, we dont hang around at breaks, or lunch , or outside of college.
    Ive been trying to make more of an effort.

Every free period i have , and every lunchtime just do work and thats it.

Im annoyed at my self. Maybe im introverted. Maybe i have some social anxiety. You can put a label on anything though.

Maybe i need to get a grip and try to be confident, but its easier said than done.

it impacts on me because i wont go to clubs , and everyone goes out and has the time of their lives , and im missing out.

Anyone else had the same experiences/can relate??

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am exactly the same...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    How do you cope ?

ReputationRep:
    same kinda, i have a friendship group of 4, only one i consider a true friend and actually go out with ... outside that group i have another. feels like i only have 2 friends in the whole world lmao. luckily, i'm okay with it although some times i feel like i'm nice enough to have more than two real friends.

in college you need to make sure you live your best. who seems friendly? who have you noticed you could possibly gel with? at this point before lesson ends and its break/lunch, ask someone if they're going out to get lunch or going to the common room and say alright same, i'll tag along. make sure you come off likeable and be yourself, dont try too hard b/c it might be weird. even as an introvert you need to put in the effort.

ReputationRep:
    same- but then I found LSD

share a stamp

ReputationRep:
    Same here. Eventually I just decided to focus on myself and think strictly about work.
    Fortunately recently I met some people to hang out with.
    However I still have the same ‘focus on work more than friends’ mentality.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You just haven't met the right like-minded people yet

ReputationRep:
    Me too, lol. I have no friends but am a really kindhearted and nice guy, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Same here
    I'm pretty quiet and introverted
    I would actually kind of call myself a push over and that's how I've been living the last few years
    I have many friends I can talk to due to the sport teams and clubs I was in in high school
    but I don't think I can act true to anyone besides my family
    Never dated anyone either
    I guess you can say I'm pretty content with how I'm living since I'm more as a family gal than a hang out gal
    But it'd be nice if I had a friend that I can relate to and be myself around
    Don't worry you're not the only one

ReputationRep:
    I’ve felt like that a lot in school and also in college. Mostly when I was at college because I had to travel 20 miles and knew nobody. What you should do in my opinion is try to find ways of being more relaxed in ANY situations you find uncomfortable. I know how hard it can be to introduce yourself to new people etc. Talk to EVERYONE whenever possible. E.g. talk to your neighbour and ask them how they are, the person next to you at a bus stop, or just go window shopping and ask the staff in stores some questions about products. I know this sounds silly but it really helped me so I can’t see why it won’t help anyone else such as yourself. Just make an effort on a regular basis to use your mouth and communicate in a friendly manner with other people. And if you feel nervous about going to clubs when you do find people to go out with on a Friday night, just remember that you’ll have the best time if you let yourself go and relax and just enjoy the company of who you are with at the time. I personally never felt comfortable in a club because I can’t really dance lol. But nowadays I have just learnt to say to myself “**** it” and not care. Now I enjoy myself nearly every time I go out. So basically in a nutshell, just practice talking to people more. Start small with situations you’re more comfortable with and start gradually making it harder so you always push yourself or you won’t grow as a person.

DONT WORRY YOU GOT THIS! 😎

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.