Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I currently work for fashion retailer A, as a Christmas temp and started about a week or two ago. I came from a contract job at retailer Z because the management was awful.

So I had an interview for fashion retailer B a couple days ago. I haven't been told the salary yet, however it is permanent contract and also part time. I've been told this stores usual salary is 4p less than what I currently earn at retailer A online, but I'll see. However, my current job at retailer A is a good 40p less than Z, but I don't mind as the job I did at Z was the worst. The brand I work for now is so much better and worth the pennies different. However, I'm slowly earning less which makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm still earning a very generous salary for a sales assistant however.

As I've only just started as a temp at my current job, I really love it there, it's probably my dream retailer to work at. But come after Christmas period my temp contract is over, and even though I'm doing my best and I've had no management issues, there is always a chance I could be let go of. I work at a very large store.

B want me to work straight away as they know my notice period and that I'm on a temp right now with retailer A. I like the brand of B, but the lower pay, and lack of ease to move up in the company are what I question and worry about. Retailer A is very easy to move up in the company, but if I don't get the contract after the temp job, I don't have a job at either. Then it's job hunting, which I'd rather not be back on...

Any advice? I was considering asking my current manager if it's possible to be contracted. That would be in about a week, so this is very early on only 2-3 weeks into my temp. Which is way too early, but what else can I do... I want a stable contract, but I'm also trying to stay at my current retailer A because of it's prospers and brand preference.

ReputationRep:
    You could ask if there's any chance of being kept on after Christmas. Most companies do have some vacancies. However, if they say no, then I would take the job with B, because that guarantees you have a job. It's bringing in money which is better than being unemployed. Plus, there's nothing to say you can't reapply for another permanent job at A if one opens up in the future.

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    You could ask if there's any chance of being kept on after Christmas. Most companies do have some vacancies. However, if they say no, then I would take the job with B, because that guarantees you have a job. It's bringing in money which is better than being unemployed. Plus, there's nothing to say you can't reapply for another permanent job at A if one opens up in the future.
    Thanks for the reply that’s what I was thinking, but it’s just if they say no and I decide to reapply for the same company for a permanent position in the near future, they may think well this person was never kept on post his Christmas temp and there’s probably a reason for that so let’s not hire him. There seems to be a whole if you leave the store it’s hard to go back to a store of the same brand ethos in fashion retail, at least from what I’ve experiened so far and most people I know have experienced.

But a job is a job, and you’re right in that right now stability and a secure job is a lot more important to me than the risk.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So you haven't got a decision to make until/unless B makes you an offer. If they do, then go to A and explain that though they are your preferred company, you really need to be on a permanent contract. Is there any chance A would be able to take you on. Faced with a direct decision like that, the management at A will know they have to make a straight decision, put you on a permanent contract or lose you to B.

(Original post by threeportdrift)
    So you haven't got a decision to make until/unless B makes you an offer. If they do, then go to A and explain that though they are your preferred company, you really need to be on a permanent contract. Is there any chance A would be able to take you on. Faced with a direct decision like that, the management at A will know they have to make a straight decision, put you on a permanent contract or lose you to B.
    They have made me an offer, and invited me to come to induction next week. I just don't find out my salary until I get my contract on induction, which has, annoyingly, been the case for both my previous job and current temp contract. But I guess it's because they don't want public disclosure of their salaries which makes sense.

I just feel because it's quite early on in the temp, they likely will let me go. Compared to all the other temps however, and even some of the permanent team I have a lot more experience so I'm unsure why I was even given a temp contract, I presume they just didn't have vacancies. The reason I'm really adamant to stay at my current temp company, is because I want to become an editorial designer at the head office of this brand, and in general I really enjoy the team I'm in and how everything works at my current store is really to my preference. It is a very well known brand, a brand so many people struggle to get jobs at and one of the best fashion high street brands.

The job I have been offered permanent on however is also a very well known brand, but it's a high end boutique brand, a lot more expensive clientele. I would be happy representing them too, but the style of my current store is so my style, I feel a lot more in my element.

But I guess right now it is much more important for a stable part time job, jobs are hard to come by so I need to cherish the opportunity. So I think asking is probably what I'm going to do. Hopefully my eagerness to grow in the company and plan to stay with the store for a good 3-5 years will be incentive enough for A to give me a permanent contract if possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the reply that’s what I was thinking, but it’s just if they say no and I decide to reapply for the same company for a permanent position in the near future, they may think well this person was never kept on post his Christmas temp and there’s probably a reason for that so let’s not hire him. There seems to be a whole if you leave the store it’s hard to go back to a store of the same brand ethos in fashion retail, at least from what I’ve experiened so far and most people I know have experienced.

But a job is a job, and you’re right in that right now stability and a secure job is a lot more important to me than the risk.
    Only if you leave on bad terms with that company.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.