Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Need to do a PESTLE analysis for a business of my choice, I chose Tesco.

Currently on the Political factor and I just wanted to check if I'm going the right way or if I've missed the point of a PESTLE analysis completely?

This is what I've got for Political factors -

'Politics can affect the business of Tesco in many ways. For example, Brexit, which has hit many companies and will continue to do so, has also affected Tesco’s stock. Unilever, one of Tesco’s bigger suppliers, “demanded a 10 per cent price rise in Tesco products, including those made in the UK, to offset the higher cost of imported goods” (Independent, 2016). Due to this price hike, Tesco’s sale revenue could be affected.'

Have I got the jist of an analysis, or am I pretty much just talking out of my a***?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galahad_)
    Need to do a PESTLE analysis for a business of my choice, I chose Tesco.

Currently on the Political factor and I just wanted to check if I'm going the right way or if I've missed the point of a PESTLE analysis completely?

This is what I've got for Political factors -

'Politics can affect the business of Tesco in many ways. For example, Brexit, which has hit many companies and will continue to do so, has also affected Tesco’s stock. Unilever, one of Tesco’s bigger suppliers, “demanded a 10 per cent price rise in Tesco products, including those made in the UK, to offset the higher cost of imported goods” (Independent, 2016). Due to this price hike, Tesco’s sale revenue could be affected.'

Have I got the jist of an analysis, or am I pretty much just talking out of my a***?
    Hi Galahad_

I currently study Business Management and Marketing so have had to do a few PESTLE analysis(!) And what you have started with looks good to me. PESTLE is used simply to say how macro environments will affect your company.

Let me know if I can help any further!

Chris - NTU Rep

ReputationRep:
    I have to do some PESTLE Analysis for my Global Citizenship unit (Welsh Bacc) and what you've written for the political aspect looks decent to me (similar to what Chris said, I know). But what you've written so far looks like a sound analysis of the political aspect so I'd say you're doing good so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galahad_)
    That's pretty much it. Is this for school or uni? That will affect the level of detail and word count.

For Political factors you're also looking at countries where the country operates and how stable they are (eg does Tesco have any stores in Zimbabwe?), the budget framework and potential changes (eg is the government about to double the tax on fuel in the Budget next week?). There won't be any trade tariffs from Brexit until we've left, but you're right to point out the uncertainties.

One small point - Tesco's share price today is about 28% higher than the day after the Brexit vote - be careful you try not to bring personal biases or incorrect assumptions into the analysis.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.