AQA Geography (New Spec) - Exam Questions

Watch
chariselizabeth
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, does anyone have any tips with how to answer exam questions. I'm putting in the revision and know my theory but I'm failing all of my tests as my teacher is incapable of teaching us how to answer the questions within a certain way?
clouddbubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chariselizabeth)
Hi, does anyone have any tips with how to answer exam questions. I'm putting in the revision and know my theory but I'm failing all of my tests as my teacher is incapable of teaching us how to answer the questions within a certain way?
have you got some revision guides to help?
sometimes they explain how to answer questions the best - otherwise i’m sure i (and some other users) could help you out
chariselizabeth
Rep:
?
(Original post by clouddbubbles)
have you got some revision guides to help?
sometimes they explain how to answer questions the best - otherwise i’m sure i (and some other users) could help you out
I have this one (https://www.bookdepository.com/AQA-A...xoC2agQAvD_BwE) but my teacher hardly ever teaches us either, he gives us sheets to make notes from? I haven't really looked in the the book so I'll look now, thank you!!
clouddbubbles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have this one (https://www.bookdepository.com/AQA-A...xoC2agQAvD_BwE) but my teacher hardly ever teaches us either, he gives us sheets to make notes from? I haven't really looked in the the book so I'll look now, thank you!!
yeah hopefully there might be some guidance in the book?
chariselizabeth
Rep:
?
(Original post by clouddbubbles)
yeah hopefully there might be some guidance in the book?
No there isn't any help in there, only example questions
clouddbubbles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No there isn't any help in there, only example questions
ughh!
that’s not great!
what about online? it’s a long shot but it’s worth searching around wherever you can?!
Zoqua
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I advise using every revision guide and textbook available, as well as asking your teacher what topics you should mainly focus on.
troubletracking
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don’t know if it’s the same on a level, but for GCSE you need to be clear on the command words, because you can know all the theory in the world but if you fail to answer the question correctly, you won’t get the mark. Do you know the difference between ‘describe’, ‘explain’ and ‘evaluate’? And mark schemes from sample papers should show you what the examiners and are looking for. Maybe also look for some examiners reports?
chariselizabeth
Rep:
?
(Original post by troubletracking)
I don’t know if it’s the same on a level, but for GCSE you need to be clear on the command words, because you can know all the theory in the world but if you fail to answer the question correctly, you won’t get the mark. Do you know the difference between ‘describe’, ‘explain’ and ‘evaluate’? And mark schemes from sample papers should show you what the examiners and are looking for. Maybe also look for some examiners reports?
I've already done my GCSE for Geography but the new spec is a lot different but yeah we've been through so words. It's more to do with the structure and what to include.
Zoqua
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've already done my GCSE for Geography but the new spec is a lot different but yeah we've been through so words. It's more to do with the structure and what to include.
If that's the problem then you should probably try to revise a bit more about the structure of your answers, use textbooks, look up example answers for questions of your level(I'm guessing your doing A level), and try to imitate them. I'm in Year 10 doing GCSE Geography, and I am aiming for a Level 9, I'd hate to have a teacher not teaching properly, its illogical and it wastes time, due to that disobeying the key function of a teacher, to teach.

There are probably several websites you can look at for A level Geography Structure. If you know the theory, you should be able to get good marks with good structure. What topics are you doing?
chariselizabeth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zoqua)
If that's the problem then you should probably try to revise a bit more about the structure of your answers, use textbooks, look up example answers for questions of your level(I'm guessing your doing A level), and try to imitate them. I'm in Year 10 doing GCSE Geography, and I am aiming for a Level 9, I'd hate to have a teacher not teaching properly, its illogical and it wastes time, due to that disobeying the key function of a teacher, to teach.

There are probably several websites you can look at for A level Geography Structure. If you know the theory, you should be able to get good marks with good structure. What topics are you doing?
This levels thing makes no sense to me, I sat my GCSE's nearly two years ago. A Level structure is a lot more harder as you have to include breadth and depth in a 20 marker and include more than just one case study and to compare them.
Zoqua
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This levels thing makes no sense to me, I sat my GCSE's nearly two years ago. A Level structure is a lot more harder as you have to include breadth and depth in a 20 marker and include more than just one case study and to compare them.
Sorry I couldn't have been more help. I'm can't really advise you for A Level, but if I where you I'd just revise a lot of structures, and practice past papers and look up examples of responses. Good luck.
chariselizabeth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zoqua)
Sorry I couldn't have been more help. I'm can't really advise you for A Level, but if I where you I'd just revise a lot of structures, and practice past papers and look up examples of responses. Good luck.
thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (63)
61.17%
No (40)
38.83%

Watched Threads