Skyhawkwolf
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I just got my first progress check in and... well... it's not where I want to be, not a disaster but C, D and E. does anyone have any help? (This is for Chemistry, Biology and History) General advice or study advice would be awesome. Thanks!
Nottingham Trent University
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Skyhawkwolf)
I just got my first progress check in and... well... it's not where I want to be, not a disaster but C, D and E. does anyone have any help? (This is for Chemistry, Biology and History) General advice or study advice would be awesome. Thanks!
Hi Skyhawkwolf

The step up from GCSE to A-levels is a big one, in fact I'd say its bigger than A-levels to University so my first advice would be not to worry too much. As you say, your grades aren't a disaster and it's something to work on, progress reports are there to help you improve.

Have a look back at your notes and tests to have a look at areas you struggled with. Once you have done this, make sure to study these areas. I used to get past papers and pick out the areas that I struggled with so that I could test myself on how much I know.

With A-levels it is really important to do extra work than what is just done in the classroom. Even if it is just for 2 or 3 hours a day, keep on going over your notes, studying the key areas of what your being taught and you'll be fine.

Don't be downbeat by your progress report, use it as motivation to improve

Give me a shout if I can help any further!

Chris - NTU Rep
Chemistry_Queen
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I can only help with Biology and Chemistry, but here's my advice.
Biology is just about learning learning learning. Use flashcards and test yourself regularly with past papers. Once you've used your exam boards questions up, use others. And make notes using the spec! The texbook has lots of babble that you don't need to know - condense your notes into easily memorable chunks and you'll be off to a great start.

Chemistry, again, is practice, practice, practice. Past papers, texbook questions, any questions you can find. Another tip - LEARN YOU MECHANISMS. They're easy marks in the exam. Chemistry, more so than biology, is about understanding. If you don't understand something, this applies to both subjects, don't move on until you do. Use youtube videos, ask your teacher, but make sure everthing is concrete now, and come exam time, it will be true revision, and not 'learning the actual content.'

Good luck - A levels are tough but if you work hard, you'll be okay
Skyhawkwolf
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Nottingham Trent University)
Hi Skyhawkwolf

The step up from GCSE to A-levels is a big one, in fact I'd say its bigger than A-levels to University so my first advice would be not to worry too much. As you say, your grades aren't a disaster and it's something to work on, progress reports are there to help you improve.

Have a look back at your notes and tests to have a look at areas you struggled with. Once you have done this, make sure to study these areas. I used to get past papers and pick out the areas that I struggled with so that I could test myself on how much I know.

With A-levels it is really important to do extra work than what is just done in the classroom. Even if it is just for 2 or 3 hours a day, keep on going over your notes, studying the key areas of what your being taught and you'll be fine.

Don't be downbeat by your progress report, use it as motivation to improve

Give me a shout if I can help any further!

Chris - NTU Rep
Thank you, thats really helpful and has cheered me up
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
this is me in 3 weeks , doing the same subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.76%
Okay (110)
29.02%
A bit lacking (141)
37.2%
Not good at all (91)
24.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed