The Student Room Group

Right wing snowflakes call for Greggs boycott over sausage roll nativity

Scroll to see replies

What makes them right wing

If it was a Muslim group would the Guardian or yourself label them that?
This is a very silly story. I thought the display was funny. Probably poorly judged in terms of attracting devout Christian customers but not anything anyone should get mad over, and actually I suspect very few people did get mad. It doesn't take much of a reaction to cow a company into issuing a grovelling apology for 'causing offence' these days.

On the other hand there's got to be some truth in the Freedom Association bloke's claim that they would tread much more carefully around the feelings of members of other religions.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
This is a very silly story. I thought the display was funny. Probably poorly judged in terms of attracting devout Christian customers but not anything anyone should get mad over, and actually I suspect very few people did get mad. It doesn't take much of a reaction to cow a company into issuing a grovelling apology for 'causing offence' these days.

On the other hand there's got to be some truth in the Freedom Association bloke's claim that they would tread much more carefully around the feelings of members of other religions.

Why is it funny?
Original post by collier888
Why is it funny?

Ironic juxtaposition of solemn religious scene with mundane pastry.
Reply 5
This was probably one of the funniest articles i've seen in ages :tongue:
As a Christian I don't really find this funny but it's hardly crime of the century. There are Christians being persecuted for their beliefs in places like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, a baked goods company putting some plastic wise men round a sausage roll pales in comparison. Being offended is pointless anyway: whoever thought this up is only damaging their own chances of salvation and ultimately that's their problem, I don't care.
Political correctness gone mad it is not. Very poor taste it is. Greggs rightfully deserve a slapped wrist for this. What I can't understand is how companies consistently produce this sort of bilge. Sure, in private it is amusing. But you just don't publish this sort of thing.

You would think that universities would know how to adhere to the basics of publishing sources to back up your claims, but it would appear they don't

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41984465
Original post by collier888
Why is it funny?

How could any display that replaces a religious icon with a half-eaten sausage roll not be funny? Inserting a pork product into the context of Abrahamic superstitions is hilarious.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IamJacksContempt
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/15/greggs-nativity-jesus-sausage-roll-advent-calendar

Political correctness gone mad.

If Christians can't take a joke then they should **** off back to Bethlehem.

From what I’ve read my main concern is who on earth would buy an Advent calendar with Sausage rolls inserted each day. They’d go off unless frozen.
b-b-but sjws t-they're cucks they're the PC police
MAGA
Original post by Ambitious1999
From what I’ve read my main concern is who on earth would buy an Advent calendar with Sausage rolls inserted each day. They’d go off unless frozen.

This man is the real saviour xD.

In all seriousness though, I'm a Christian and I wouldn't even blink at this. It's obviously a joke.
The traditional nativity scene barely even follows the bible properly anyway, replacing Jesus with a sausage roll isn't much of a stretch.
I agree it is quite funny, and think it is sad that the company backed down.

We should be aiming for a world in which all religions are subject to ridicule. The trend has gone into reverse as Christians demand the same deference given to Muslims. (And of course they have a point. Why should one religion get immunity from ridicule, and not all of them?)

It is getting harder and harder to give any sort of offence in our culture. Even unwittingly, let alone gratuitously. You have to wonder if “The Life of Brian” would get made nowadays. Sigh.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/15/greggs-nativity-jesus-sausage-roll-advent-calendar

Political correctness gone mad.

If Christians can't take a joke then they should **** off back to Bethlehem.

I work in Greggs and sausage rolls are the most popular product, a few special snowflakes boycotting won't make any difference. The situation is not going to snowball (pun intended).
Its disrespectful. Something Greggs does every year in the hope of getting publicity so they sell more product. I dont see why Christians deserve any less respect than other religions or people who choose not to have one.Political correctness gone mad? No. They should just get some manners.
Original post by DeusGevalt
What makes them right wing

If it was a Muslim group would the Guardian or yourself label them that?

Every hard left pressure group is a human rights organisation” to the Guardian and BBC. Whereas anyone they disagree with is “right wing” or “far right.”

And every comment from any self appointed representative of the “Muslim Community” however half baked, is treated either as incontestable or worthy of due reverence.

You know that! :biggrin:
Original post by 999tigger
Its disrespectful. Something Greggs does every year in the hope of getting publicity so they sell more product. I dont see why Christians deserve any less respect than other religions or people who choose not to have one.Political correctness gone mad? No. They should just get some manners.

We often hear this defence of political correctness nowadays, as it falls more and more into disrepute.

“It is just good manners.”

You should be able to be rude. And an economic boycott attempts to take that away by force.

That is the epitome of political correctness. It is not about manners, it is about power.
Reply 18
Original post by astutehirstute
Every hard left pressure group is a human rights organisation” to the Guardian and BBC. Whereas anyone they disagree with is “right wing” or “far right.”

And every comment from any self appointed representative of the “Muslim Community” however half baked, is treated either as incontestable or worthy of due reverence.

You know that! :biggrin:

Name one hard left pressure group that's branded as a "Human rights organisation". I dare you.
Reply 19
Original post by astutehirstute
We often hear this defence of political correctness nowadays, as it falls more and more into disrepute.

“It is just good manners.”

You should be able to be rude. And an economic boycott attempts to take that away by force.

That is the epitome of political correctness. It is not about manners, it is about power.

You can say whatever you like. You're also free to respond to that in a manner you like. That's called freedom, not political correctness.

Quick Reply