The Student Room Group

Right wing snowflakes call for Greggs boycott over sausage roll nativity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nashhh2
It makes me upset that this breed of diseased idiots are crawling into TSR.

When it became cool to hate on religion, which has given a certain level of order to society, is beyond me.

Diseased idiots? Would you care to elaborate on and justify that hateful comment? Nobody is 'hating on' religion (are you American?), but it is certainly fair game to ridicule superstitious beliefs and criticise religions.
Original post by Trapz99
They can if they want but clearly that's going to create bad publicity

The bad publicity came in the form of Greggs' apology.
There is a blatant difference between discrimination and people needing to grow a thicker skin. This isn't discrimination against religion; people are just so favourable of getting offended at everything? Why are people complaining about a sausage roll replacing Jesus in a shawl? It's only humour, good grief. There's a difference between that and minority groups facing intended ridicule. It's impossible to say anything and not offend someone nowadays. :colonhash:

There always has to be that one little snowflake to kick up a fuss over nothing.
Original post by ByEeek
Political correctness gone mad it is not. Very poor taste it is. Greggs rightfully deserve a slapped wrist for this. What I can't understand is how companies consistently produce this sort of bilge. Sure, in private it is amusing. But you just don't publish this sort of thing.

You would think that universities would know how to adhere to the basics of publishing sources to back up your claims, but it would appear they don't

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41984465

Lol. Did you write "very poor taste" ironically?
Original post by 999tigger
Why do you get off by insulting Christians? Why do you enjoy being offensive and supporting people who enjoy doing likewise?

Nothing to do with power its about respect and basic human decency , which you seem to be short of and fail to understand.

Ad hominem.

For the record I don’t insult Christians, and don’t personally get off on it.” I just categorically dispute the right of groups of every stripe, to close down public criticism and ridicule by the use of force.

No one has the right not to be offended and it is time sensible people of all political persuasions took a stand against all this snowflakery.

If their belief system is correct all the sausage roll blasphemers will go to hell for all eternity. That ought to be enough for them.

In the here and now free speech needs to be fought for.
Original post by astutehirstute
We often hear this defence of political correctness nowadays, as it falls more and more into disrepute.

“It is just good manners.”

You should be able to be rude. And an economic boycott attempts to take that away by force.

That is the epitome of political correctness. It is not about manners, it is about power.

What is wrong with the economic boycott? A company does something and customers react accordingly.
Original post by astutehirstute
Ad hominem.

For the record I don’t insult Christians, and don’t personally get off on it.” I just categorically dispute the right of groups of every stripe, to close down public criticism and ridicule by the use of force.

No one has the right not to be offended and it is time sensible people of all political persuasions took a stand against all this snowflakery.

If their belief system is correct all the sausage roll blasphemers will go to hell for all eternity. That ought to be enough for them.

In the here and now free speech needs to be fought for.

This is really just evidence of the way political discourse has gone. Accuse a group of something that is the opposite of what it tends to represent as a means of discrediting or antagonising them.

Everyone knows that "snowflaking" is a term reserved almost exclusively for the ultra-liberal left, and the common understanding is of people who think themselves as absolutely unique and delicate - people who have certain ideas around their own sexuality or belief systems.

This whole absurd Greggs thing doesn't in any way imply "right-wing snowflake" on these Evangelical Christians - but some people just like to say so as a means of attacking them. If anything, they're asking for the opposite - they're saying that they are receiving disproportionately unfair treatment where other religions would be protected.

I think there is some truth to their claim. Greggs aren't shy of trouble-making publicity. They cried like little biatches for ages over the VAT on hot pastries thing. Equally, they must have known that they were using religious symbolism in an ad campaign over a group (Christians) for whom no-one would care much, there would be little chance of a boycott and no chance of violence - in return for a lot of free publicity.
Original post by nashhh2
It makes me upset that this breed of diseased idiots are crawling into TSR.

When it became cool to hate on religion, which has given a certain level of order to society, is beyond me.

Religion is an archaic form of societal control. The only order it ever gave was paying it to avoid punishment and kill those of a different one.
Original post by yudothis
Religion is an archaic form of societal control. The only order it ever gave was paying it to avoid punishment and kill those of a different one.

You forgot the ban on eating pork products like sausage rolls, the ban on wearing clothes made of mixed fibres, the controls on what to believe, the interference with private and consensual behaviour and the general instruction to keep women down.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
The double standards here are quite astounding. If the sausage roll was in place of Muhammad, for example, all hell would break loose. There would be numerous Guardian opinion pieces about how it represents terrible bigotry in our society, Jeremy Corbyn would probably issue a statement, the Twitterverse would go into meltdown, etc.

Making fun of your own versus of others. Similar to blacks can say the n word but whites can't.

Not that I'm against satire of all religions, but I can see why there would be a different reaction.
Reply 70
Since when does religion = political leaning?

The reaction is ridiculous though
Making fun of your own versus of others. Similar to blacks can say the n word but whites can't.

Not that I'm against satire of all religions, but I can see why there would be a different reaction.

I don't think that's the same thing. Black people using particular racial epithets is within that group. Muslims and Christians don't insult their own religions within their own groups.

Some religions - particularly Islam - have particular protected status in terms of satire/insult. It's clear that no-one is allowed to insult or satirise Islam without at least the threat of lengthy and boring debate or at the other end threat or use of violence.

Other religions don't enjoy this status. Christianity and Buddhism spring to mind. I don't see how it's a case of "own vs others".
Original post by Snazzyzebra
Baby G!

:hmmmm2:
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
As a Christian I don't really find this funny but it's hardly crime of the century. There are Christians being persecuted for their beliefs in places like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, a baked goods company putting some plastic wise men round a sausage roll pales in comparison. Being offended is pointless anyway: whoever thought this up is only damaging their own chances of salvation and ultimately that's their problem, I don't care.

Greggs should be even handed in their mockery of religion; they could make a Buddha out of a Scotch Egg perhaps ? or model the Ka'bah
using a cinnamon bun ?
Original post by Trinculo

Some religions - particularly Islam - have particular protected status in terms of satire/insult.

I can assure you that, in the UK at least, they do not. All religions are fair game for humour, satire and mockery.

http://www.jesusandmo.net/?s=mockery

http://www.jesusandmo.net/?s=satire
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
I can assure you that, in the UK at least, they do not. All religions are fair game for humour, satire and mockery.

http://www.jesusandmo.net/?s=mockery

http://www.jesusandmo.net/?s=satire

I'll believe that when Greggs bring out an Eid break-fast sausage roll.

That's entirely different from posting some cartoons on a blog.
Original post by Trinculo
I'll believe that when Greggs bring out an Eid break-fast sausage roll.

That's entirely different from posting some cartoons on a blog.

You appear to be applauding violent intimidation.
I'm offended that the holy sausage head has been bitten off. Looks like a scene out of 1st century CSI.
Original post by chazwomaq
I'm offended that the holy sausage head has been bitten off. Looks like a scene out of 1st century CSI.

That isn't the head; it was circumcised.

How do you know the people who made the advert at Greggs are Christians? And not atheists or Muslims? I also don't remember Greggs being marketed as a Christian company - it has no religious leaning.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest