The Student Room Group

Right wing snowflakes call for Greggs boycott over sausage roll nativity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iridocyclitis
How do you know the people who made the advert at Greggs are Christians? And not atheists or Muslims? I also don't remember Greggs being marketed as a Christian company - it has no religious leaning.

I don't have to know.
Original post by 999tigger
Its disrespectful. Something Greggs does every year in the hope of getting publicity so they sell more product. I dont see why Christians deserve any less respect than other religions or people who choose not to have one.Political correctness gone mad? No. They should just get some manners.

If Christians out there are taking the traditional nativity scene of wise men AND shepherds both visiting at the same time to be correct, they clearly haven't actually read the biblical birth narratives. It's barely disrespecting Christianity when the scene having the piss taken out of it isn't actually one from the gospels.

Mountains out of molehills.

Spoiler

Original post by Retired_Messiah
The wise men and manger combo

That sounds more like a Burger King offering than Greggs.
Waiting for greggs to do the muhammed poster next ramadan, I am sure there will be no outcry or death threats over that.

And who cares, people not wanting to buy something because it offends their religion is perfectly fine in a free market, calling for it to be taken down is a bit too far but in all honestly religion is very important to some and if they did this to Islam you bet they would be forced to take it down
(edited 6 years ago)
I mean... their sausage rolls taste pretty good. I mean, they taste divine.

I giggled a little once I saw the image. I giggled a bit louder once I saw the headline(s). Creative fun advertising, I wanna get a sausage roll now.
As a Christian I think they should have though twice about their display. I'm fine with it but some of the comments that Christians are getting as a result make me sad. :frown:
Original post by yudothis
What is wrong with the economic boycott? A company does something and customers react accordingly.

It depends on whether the boycott is in favour of, or an attempt to suppress, free speech.

There was pressure put by a hard left organisation in the US for corporate sponsors to withdraw ads from Fox News because they disagree politically. That is contrary to free speech and a free media.

The US equivalent to Nespresso, Keurig withdrew ads from Fox which led to a huge campaign from Republicans to boycott Keurig. They posted videos of themselves smashing machines which went viral.

http://time.com/5020773/sean-hannity-boycott-keurig/

Keurig humiliatingly climbed down, apologised and restored funding. As you say, nothing wrong with an economic boycott in that instance.
Original post by astutehirstute
It depends on whether the boycott is in favour of, or an attempt to suppress, free speech.

There was pressure put by a hard left organisation in the US for corporate sponsors to withdraw ads from Fox News because they disagree politically. That is contrary to free speech and a free media.

The US equivalent to Nespresso, Keurig withdrew ads from Fox which led to a huge campaign from Republicans to boycott Keurig. They posted videos of themselves smashing machines which went viral.

http://time.com/5020773/sean-hannity-boycott-keurig/

Keurig humiliatingly climbed down, apologised and restored funding. As you say, nothing wrong with an economic boycott in that instance.

Ah the hypocrisy of the right never ceases to amaze.

After Vegas: "terrible of the left to politicize a tragedy, shameful people".

After NY: "it's time to talk about Muslims and deportation and bans".
Original post by yudothis
Ah the hypocrisy of the right never ceases to amaze.

After Vegas: "terrible of the left to politicize a tragedy, shameful people".

After NY: "it's time to talk about Muslims and deportation and bans".

Hope you feel better after that little rant but I am not sure of the relevance to what we are discussing?

My position is to oppose a boycott which aims to suppress free speech, and to support one which promotes it.

Where is the “hypocrisy” in that?
Original post by astutehirstute
Hope you feel better after that little rant but I am not sure of the relevance to what we are discussing?

My position is to oppose a boycott which aims to suppress free speech, and to support one which promotes it.

Where is the “hypocrisy” in that?

Because your selection of what you consider pro and against "free speech" is completely biased. Those two scenarios are exactly the same that you mentioned. And yet you judge them differently. So typical of the right.
Original post by nashhh2
It makes me upset that this breed of diseased idiots are crawling into TSR.

When it became cool to hate on religion, which has given a certain level of order to society, is beyond me.

Perhaps it was when everybody figured out that none of it actually happened in reality.You say religion gave order to society but actually the most advanced countries in the world with the exception of America are also the least religious.The most religious countries are generally terrible places.People have done countless terrible things in the name of a fictional god.Quite frankly the sooner it dies out the better for everyone.
Original post by Robby2312
Perhaps it was when everybody figured out that none of it actually happened in reality.

I mean, a bloke called Jesus was almost certainly born at some point around the time of Herod the Great and the letters that make up most of the new testament were definitely written at some point. Not sure how you "figure out" something that isn't strictly correct.

Original post by AperfectBalance
Waiting for greggs to do the muhammed poster next ramadan, I am sure there will be no outcry or death threats over that.

Would be hilarious to me if they did one where god gave Muhammad a sausage roll instead of the Quran. It's fairly similar to what they've done with Christianity, really (replace the God given salvation of the Earth's people with a pastry). Can imagine the salt levels tho, no pun intended.
Beyond the fact the the photo is barely amusing, it doesn’t surprise me that there’s been an outcry. Had something like this happened with Islamic imagery there too would be a controversy.

Either way, I couldn’t care less. It’s not really significant enough in my eyes to warrant a reaction.
I mean, a bloke called Jesus was almost certainly born at some point around the time of Herod the Great and the letters that make up most of the new testament were definitely written at some point. Not sure how you "figure out" something that isn't strictly correct.

Would be hilarious to me if they did one where god gave Muhammad a sausage roll instead of the Quran. It's fairly similar to what they've done with Christianity, really (replace the God given salvation of the Earth's people with a pastry). Can imagine the salt levels tho, no pun intended.

I wasn't disputing the existence of a man called Jesus or King Herod although some would.I do however dispute whether he was born of a virgin,performed miracles,was crucified,resurrected and ascended into heaven.I see no reason to think that any of that is true.

You can't give muhhamed a sausage roll because almost certainly some muslim would probably blow himself up along with lots of other people.Which we kind of want to avoid.
Reply 94
'Lord Jesus' backwards is 'susej drol'.
If their products were any good and not the pastry equivalent of a fast food outlet, they would not need to drum up such cheap publicity.
To be fair it is akin to worshipping false idols (since the roll is in place of Jesus) and that is a big no no in Christianity.
Yeah it's meant to be a joke, but it could be seen as a big affront to god/ Jesus and the commandments. I don't think it should be taken that way, but they really should have picked another add if they wanted to be respectful.
But of course this is likely a semi-safe media stunt they decided to pull.
It's pretty funny that people can become so irate about stuff like this, and yet tolerate/look past so much other worse things in this world:colonhash:
Original post by Kindred
To be fair it is akin to worshipping false idols (since the roll is in place of Jesus) and that is a big no no in Christianity.
Yeah it's meant to be a joke, but it could be seen as a big affront to god/ Jesus and the commandments. I don't think it should be taken that way, but they really should have picked another add if they wanted to be respectful.
But of course this is likely a semi-safe media stunt they decided to pull.

I don't think anybody was really doing that level of thinking about it tho. Idolatry is a big no no but the average christian tends not to really look for it much in their day to day life, from my experience.

Original post by Robby2312
I wasn't disputing the existence of a man called Jesus or King Herod although some would.I do however dispute whether he was born of a virgin,performed miracles,was crucified,resurrected and ascended into heaven.I see no reason to think that any of that is true.

You said "none of it" happened, as in none of the religious stories. Your new post implies that some of it happened. And that's fine.

You can't give muhhamed a sausage roll because almost certainly some muslim would probably blow himself up along with lots of other people.Which we kind of want to avoid.

Oh of course nobody would do it because, regardless of any potential blowings up, jokes about Islam always cause more outrage for no discernible reason. The idea entertains me tho
Oh of course nobody would do it because, regardless of any potential blowings up, jokes about Islam always cause more outrage for no discernible reason. The idea entertains me tho

I wouldn't be surprised if they did tbh.
I don't think it's a big deal, but I can understand some people being offended.
Sure it would be nice if they'd give for something less controversial, but you live and learn.

Quick Reply