The Student Room Group

Right wing snowflakes call for Greggs boycott over sausage roll nativity

Scroll to see replies

I read a news article where one guy from the Freedom Association called the makers of the advert "sickening" and "cowards". A little insensitive perhaps but hardly the end of the world and it barely warrants the creators of said advert being labelled as "sickening cowards".
It was hilarious. You would think that these Christians who complained about the Nativity scene would have more to concern themselves. Perhaps these people, and not only Christians, but other denominations need to clean up their *****y doorsteps in respect of endemic child abuse in their institutions/organisations before they start criticising the actions of others. In a couple of weeks, no one will remember this, but like most religious groups, they will milk it for all it's worth.
Original post by RAFLiam
I read a news article where one guy from the Freedom Association called the makers of the advert "sickening" and "cowards". A little insensitive perhaps but hardly the end of the world and it barely warrants the creators of said advert being labelled as "sickening cowards".

I hope Greggs put their nativity sausage scene on sale in all branches as a children's advent-related toy. Perhaps with extra frosting on the sausage.

Rather it's the marketing people who have no sense of respect. And who are devoid of any genuine inventiveness. Why do anything that a sector of the population might find offensive? How much do they think this will increases their sales by?

Let's see how things go when they create an image of Muhammed the prophet out of a pasty??

Or offering an unappetizing Large, Great, Bacon Toastie to offend Stonewall? No doubt another interesting response would result.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Seamus123
It was hilarious. You would think that these Christians who complained about the Nativity scene would have more to concern themselves. Perhaps these people, and not only Christians, but other denominations need to clean up their *****y doorsteps in respect of endemic child abuse in their institutions/organisations before they start criticising the actions of others. In a couple of weeks, no one will remember this, but like most religious groups, they will milk it for all it's worth.

Actually, the government now recommends church procedures to other organisations as a model for child safeguarding. As far as I know many of the 'Celebrities', Hollywood Luvvies, MPs, teachers, etc........ are atheists like you, Seamus. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

What an utterly puerile post! TSR performs an important function in that it connects students with other students so that they can make more informed education choices, get help with their studies, and get support with student life.

The Greggs topic has no place in a forum like this and should be raised in another forum.
Original post by The Sisyphus

The Greggs topic has no place in a forum like this and should be raised in another forum.

News should not be discussed in the news and current affairs forum?
What an utterly puerile post! TSR performs an important function in that it connects students with other students so that they can make more informed education choices, get help with their studies, and get support with student life.

Is that the reason why you have commented multiple times on this thread, thereby increasing the likliehood of more people seeing thread. Smart move.

By the way, could you please confirm the name of this sub forum for me? And confirm how many posts you have in the sub forums not directly related to supported study. Thanks
As funny as this is, the group does kinda have a point when it comes to the double standard here. The Guardian and its readership would have a different tone if this involved an offended group of Muslims, Hindus or Jews. But because it's a Right-Wing Christian group, now you're all calling the offended party "snowflakes."

Also, I really want a sausage roll.
"Lord Jesus" backwards is "Susej Drol"

That's all I'll say on this matter.
Actually, the government now recommends church procedures to other organisations as a model for child safeguarding. As far as I know many of the 'Celebrities', Hollywood Luvvies, MPs, teachers, etc........ are atheists like you, Seamus. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

Actually, I am not an atheist. I was brought up as a Roman Catholic. And, as far as safeguarding now is concerned, it's all come a bit late for myself and thousands of other children brought up in religious institutions between the 1940s and 1970s.
So, I have every right to throw anything I want, including stones - in fact, very big stones.

It's being discussed here because it's a NEWS item. Duh!
Original post by Trinculo
I'll believe that when Greggs bring out an Eid break-fast sausage roll.

That's entirely different from posting some cartoons on a blog.

How hilarious that some people are claiming that Christians are being treated unfairly and other religions have special protections. Being mocked is so much worse that people suggesting that you be banned, deported, spied on or have your house of worship closed down.

When Eid gets 3 to 4 months straight of commercials and marketing then the comparison can be made.
Reply 113

Stop being a butt nugget.
Original post by Eunomia
How hilarious that some people are claiming that Christians are being treated unfairly and other religions have special protections. Being mocked is so much worse that people suggesting that you be banned, deported, spied on or have your house of worship closed down.

When Eid gets 3 to 4 months straight of commercials and marketing then the comparison can be made.

People get banned, deported, spied on and have their places of worship closed down - not because of the nature of their religion, but because they are dangerous or undesirable people who want to cause harm to others.
Original post by Napp
Stop being a butt nugget.

Napp, You should find a responsible adult to have a word with nursey to see if she can reduce your medication; it's clearly affecting your ability to produce a rational argument.
Reply 116
Napp, You should find a responsible adult to have a word with nursey to see if she can reduce your medication; it's clearly affecting your ability to produce a rational argument.

Oh wow the burn... :rolleyes:
At any rate why would i need to argue the point about you speaking like a tosspot? Its an indisputable fact, not to mention what you said was simply untrue.
Original post by Trinculo
People get banned, deported, spied on and have their places of worship closed down - not because of the nature of their religion, but because they are dangerous or undesirable people who want to cause harm to others.

Don't play naive. When was the last time you heard a mainstream political figure calling for a ban on Christians coming in and the shutting down of churches? That person wouldn't still have a job if they had tried voicing an opinion like that. If anything, Christianity has special privileges and protections. I would rather have some offensive pictures and cartoons about my religion (if I had one) which I don't have to look at out there than worry about some politician who hates everyone from my background coming into power and restricting my rights.
Just another example of someones rights being more important than another groups - i know some groups who would sue for far less, beause they have been made upset 0 but onviously some groups have more rights than others. so its okay. Perhaps Greggs staff can work allthrough Christmas and Easter come to think of it ... and not have any time off 0 seeing as they dont give a stuff . I would rather buy Greenhalghs food anytime, Greggs is bland and tasteless and cheap nasty pastry and low quality fillings.

Quick Reply

Latest