The Student Room Group

Worst job "interview" ever? (Five guys)

So I had an interview at Five Guys a few weeks ago, and I'm curious as to what people think of my experience.

So I applied for a job at five guys on indeed, it's a pretty new store in my town and has only been around a few months, now I applied at like 3 in the morning, and I literally received a call from them at 11 am that morning asking me in for an interview on the same day, I told them no and we arranged an interview for the following day.

So I turned up to the interview on time at 12 am, beforehand I'd been informed that it was an in-depth interview + trial which can take up to 3 hours, a bit long I thought. Other than that I was told nothing. I approached the manager who seemed swept off his feet and he offered me a drink and told me to take a seat, after a 30-minutes wait he approached me and took me into the staff area. He straight away criticized my choice of shoes (I went with smart black leather shoes) and said they're not five guys recommended shoes (didn't realise I had to buy five guys shoes for an interview less than 24 hours after it being offered), I also was criticized for wearing smart black trousers and not jeans.

So I was paired up with a guy, lets call him Drac, he was Romanian. I've got nothing against eastern europeans and I am of a Dalmatian background myself, but the entire store was Romanian and they all spoke Romanian whilst working with each other, which seemed unprofessional. He briefly taught me some basic fry cooking and left me alone for about 30 minutes on a busy Saturday, I was then put on the fry cutter station with some semi-aggressive geezer who was extremely awkward and not particularly friendly. I was cutting fries for a good 2 hours, after which I was put back on fry cooking for another hour. At this point I'd been working largely independently for almost 4 hours, I informed Dracula and he was like "oh sorry, take some food and the manager will be with you shortly).

I don't eat bread or red meat so I just had some chips, I waited well over an hour (so 5 hours at this point almost since my "interview" had started) for the manager to speak to me. He asked me if I enjoyed it, I said it was alright, then he said they'd be in contact with me shortly and then sprinted off back to the kitchen.

Not once was I interviewed, no one asked for me ID or proof of address, and the manager had forgotten my name by the end of the interview. I never received any further contact and my application has been pending for 3 weeks. I would have declined them anyway.

Is this what all five guys interviews are like? It seemed genuinely awful lol.
Reply 1
That sounds terrible! Although i love how Drac's name turned into Dracula lol xD I work in a food place myself and my interview was just literally 10mins of chatting about the work i would do and a tour around the place. I was told it was only going to be casual so wore jeans, T-shirt and trainers which they had no problem with. Furthermore I didn't prepare any food until i was actually hired...it seems odd to me that they would make you do that....but it might just be a five guys thing idk >_<.
(edited 6 years ago)
You were conned into working half a shift, doing the menial work for a few chips, to fill in for a staff shortage, I suspect. Hence the early interview offers. It sounds as if they are practised at it.
Original post by Froppy
That sounds terrible! Although i love how Drac's name turned into Dracula lol xD I work in a food place myself and my interview was just literally 10mins of chatting about the work i would do and a tour around the place. I was told it was only going to be casual so wore jeans, T-shirt and trainers which they had no problem with. So it might just be a five guys thing idk >_<.

See I used to be a manager at Mcdonalds (recently moved home to do college hence the looking for a job) and when we did an interview, we would actually interview the person, give them a 15 minute try out, then speak to them about there experience afterwards. What I did at FG was literally half a shift.

I dressed smart because I genuinely thought it was an interview, though I wasn't in a suit or anything haha, just smart casual.
Original post by Good bloke
You were conned into working half a shift, doing the menial work for a few chips, to fill in for a staff shortage, I suspect. Hence the early interview offers. It sounds as if they are practised at it.

See when I first did the "interview" I thought it was an odd experience, but since I was so desperate for a job I sort of didn't overthink it, but everyone I've spoken to about this has been shocked and has said exactly what you just said.

I don't think they'll hire non-Romanians tbh, I don't even live in an area with a large Romanian population, but the entire store and manager was Romanian and they were speaking in their own language whilst working, so I wouldn't have gotten on well there.
(edited 6 years ago)
like someone else said it just sounds like you got tricked into free work tbf.
i had a horrible "interview/trial" with meat and shake, basically did a few hours work for nothing (no tips, meal, anything) then got told to go home. shouldve clocked when they said their manager quit recently.
Reply 6
Original post by mature student
See when I first did the "interview" I thought it was an odd experience, but since I was so desperate for a job I sort of didn't overthink it, but everyone I've spoken to about this has been shocked and has said exactly what you just said.

I don't think they'll hire non-Romanians tbh, I don't even live in an area with a large Romanian population, but the entire store and manager was Romanian and they were speaking in their own language whilst working, so I wouldn't have gotten on well there.

As a Romanian I can understand that.

I was looking for a job at the nearest job agency. All the staff from there were polish people and they speak in their on language. All the good jobs were only for polish people.

I think it's rude to speak other language especially when there is one person that can not understand.
Original post by Heyok
As a Romanian I can understand that.

I was looking for a job at the nearest job agency. All the staff from there were polish people and they speak in their on language. All the good jobs were only for polish people.

I think it's rude to speak other language especially when there is one person that can not understand.

If it was a small restaurant or ethnic food shop or something it's fair enough, but when its a large multinational chain like five guys or a job agency it's pretty bad to speak your own language like that.
when its a large multinational chain like five guys

Like many such 'chain' restaurants, Five Guys is a franchise operation. In fact, one of the five guys finds the franchisees.

Each franchisee runs a separate independent business, paying the central company a fee to use the brand, format and menu and, perhaps, buying materials from the franchise owner. There is unlikely to be much centralised control over staffing matters.

Sounds like they just brought you in to do some free work. They have to pay you for the work you did. I'd get in contact with them and demand payment.
Reply 10
I applied on Wednesday at 7pm for a job at a branch in Belfast, I the next day got called 3 times in college, I texted saying I was in college and then he called again after I had told him this, I got home and they called, and asked me to come in the next day, I said I can't but Saturday I can, I haven't went yet but I don't even know what branch I'll be working at cause there are 2 in Belfast, the guy has gave no detail on what to wear or what I will be doing iam not sure if I will be going or not
Original post by &quot
So I had an interview at Five Guys a few weeks ago, and I'm curious as to what people think of my experience.

So I applied for a job at five guys on indeed, it's a pretty new store in my town and has only been around a few months, now I applied at like 3 in the morning, and I literally received a call from them at 11 am that morning asking me in for an interview on the same day, I told them no and we arranged an interview for the following day.

So I turned up to the interview on time at 12 am, beforehand I'd been informed that it was an in-depth interview + trial which can take up to 3 hours, a bit long I thought. Other than that I was told nothing. I approached the manager who seemed swept off his feet and he offered me a drink and told me to take a seat, after a 30-minutes wait he approached me and took me into the staff area. He straight away criticized my choice of shoes (I went with smart black leather shoes) and said they're not five guys recommended shoes (didn't realise I had to buy five guys shoes for an interview less than 24 hours after it being offered), I also was criticized for wearing smart black trousers and not jeans.

So I was paired up with a guy, lets call him Drac, he was Romanian. I've got nothing against eastern europeans and I am of a Dalmatian background myself, but the entire store was Romanian and they all spoke Romanian whilst working with each other, which seemed unprofessional. He briefly taught me some basic fry cooking and left me alone for about 30 minutes on a busy Saturday, I was then put on the fry cutter station with some semi-aggressive geezer who was extremely awkward and not particularly friendly. I was cutting fries for a good 2 hours, after which I was put back on fry cooking for another hour. At this point I'd been working largely independently for almost 4 hours, I informed Dracula and he was like "oh sorry, take some food and the manager will be with you shortly).

I don't eat bread or red meat so I just had some chips, I waited well over an hour (so 5 hours at this point almost since my "interview" had started) for the manager to speak to me. He asked me if I enjoyed it, I said it was alright, then he said they'd be in contact with me shortly and then sprinted off back to the kitchen.

Not once was I interviewed, no one asked for me ID or proof of address, and the manager had forgotten my name by the end of the interview. I never received any further contact and my application has been pending for 3 weeks. I would have declined them anyway.

Inform their head office. They ought to be genuinely interested in feedback. It was ****, tell them.
Totally used this guy and should have paid him for labour as that is training not an interview. You shouldn't have agreed..this is why I won't do food service unless it's a classy bar/bistro the ones where you wear a bowtie 👔🍸
Reply 13
I think you should wrote a letter of complaint to Five Guys head office in the uk, stating if they dont pay you for your work you will make a complaint to the regulators/authorities.

If u can be bothered that is.
Reply 14
Original post by AlexanderHam
Sounds like they just brought you in to do some free work. They have to pay you for the work you did. I'd get in contact with them and demand payment.

Perhaps in the first instance, but I doubt he will get anywhere. He will need to contact head office.
[quote(Original post by "mature"student)]See I used to be a manager at Mcdonalds (recently moved home to do college hence the looking for a job) and when we did an interview, we would actually interview the person, give them a 15 minute try out, then speak to them about there experience afterwards. What I did at FG was literally half a shift.

I dressed smart because I genuinely thought it was an interview, though I wasn't in a suit or anything haha, just smart casual.

I used to work at mcdonalds too (for 9 years).
And yes that experience sounds dodgy and a bit awful.
Id complain to head office or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending