The Student Room Group

Confused as to which A-level choices to pick

Subjects I really enjoy are Maths and Chemistry. For A levels the 5 choices I had in mind were : Maths, Chemistry, Biology, English Literature or Government and Politics.

At university I preferably want to study either chemical engineering or law. I really do enjoy the two but i find law slightly more interesting and fun. At first I was sure on taking Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Gov n Pol but after the head of sixth form spoke to me and said that some unis wont consider me because I didn't choose Eng Lit. I do prefer Gov n Pol since its more engaging and the teacher is amazing .Eng Lit is alright but it can get boring and I'm predicted an 8 in it. My mum is also dissuading me from taking Eng Lit. I wouldn't mind taking Eng Lit

Is Eng lit an important A-Level for wanting to choose a Law degree and what 4 A-levels would you suggest I take given my chosen career paths.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Law has no subject requirements. You can (and people do) successfully apply to Law with a full set of STEM subjects and no "arts" essay based subjects.

I would recommend taking Maths, Chemistry, and Biology, as this gives you the maximum flexibility in applying to STEM subjects if you decide to remain on the science (or for a few disciplines, engineering) route, as well as for Law (and for example Economics or Business/Finance courses).
I am currently doing maths chemistry and biology and absolutely love it would highly recommend and most courses will accept for a law just make sure if you want to do law at uni that you have some works experience for your personal statement just to show you have an interest in the subject as wasn’t chosen as an a level

Quick Reply