Computer Science vs Economics for banking and finance jobs

Watch
anonymous45465
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If I was to study a computer science degree would I be disadvantaged whatsoever when applying to top 10 firms etc. Universities where I will study computer science include: Southampton, Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester for Economics it would be: Bath, Nottingham, Birmingham, Leeds, Loughborough
thatapanydude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anonymous45465)
If I was to study a computer science degree would I be disadvantaged whatsoever when applying to top 10 firms etc. Universities where I will study computer science include: Southampton, Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester for Economics it would be: Bath, Nottingham, Birmingham, Leeds, Loughborough
Tbh uni name matters more than degree choice. Really should only be looking at Nottingham and Bath, with Manchester and L'boro 2nd choices (forget the other unis for front-office jobs). Doing CompSci would make you stand out though during the application stage.
JoshNilsson
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I work for Deloitte and they would definitely value someone with a computing degree! There are 11 new starters in my intake and only two people (including me) actually have experience in finance so don’t think it’ll hinder you in any way
anonymous45465
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatapanydude)
Tbh uni name matters more than degree choice. Really should only be looking at Nottingham and Bath, with Manchester and L'boro 2nd choices (forget the other unis for front-office jobs). Doing CompSci would make you stand out though during the application stage.
So if anything it will improve my chances? Isn't Southampton supposed to be a highly rated university? Also, I have heard that having a CS degree would lead to you getting a computer based role as opposed to a normal role within a bank
username3480226
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Here is the thing.
You can quite easily study an undergraduate Economics degree, get a decent finance job and live happily ever after.
BUT
A lot of the top finance organisations do not value Economics undergraduates as much unless they come out of top top universities with a good grade (think LSE with a 1st/2.1). A lot of these companies in fact hire larger numbers of engineering graduates. This is because while their education may not help them, the requirements and rigor of education for engineering are higher, and they value that more than the slight headstart an economics graduate may have. For computer science, it's similar to Engineering; not AS easy, but I would argue they would value it more than an Economics degree.
One of the biggest things taking such a route though is showing that you are passionate about working in finance and why they should take you, which is arguably slightly easier with an Economics degree. However I cannot stress how strong engineering/CS degrees are in getting into finance, particularly if you go to a London Uni (Imperial will be fantastic for this) or Oxbridge.

quick summart TL;DR

They often thing engineers/CS are smarter - higher entry grades, harder work
You still need to show you care about working in finance
thatapanydude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So if anything it will improve my chances? Isn't Southampton supposed to be a highly rated university? Also, I have heard that having a CS degree would lead to you getting a computer based role as opposed to a normal role within a bank
I can do, if you spin it correctly at interviews etc, like the chap at Deloitte mentioned most finance/banking jobs can be taught, so you don't have to study econ if you want to go into finance. Southampton is a decent uni for CompSci and places like the big4, but for front-office banking it consistently send very few people into it. As I mentioned for front-office banking Notts and Bath are you best chances.
anonymous45465
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatapanydude)
I can do, if you spin it correctly at interviews etc, like the chap at Deloitte mentioned most finance/banking jobs can be taught, so you don't have to study econ if you want to go into finance. Southampton is a decent uni for CompSci and places like the big4, but for front-office banking it consistently send very few people into it. As I mentioned for front-office banking Notts and Bath are you best chances.
Doing either CS or Economics at Bath/Notts?
anonymous45465
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rohit Joshi)
Here is the thing.
You can quite easily study an undergraduate Economics degree, get a decent finance job and live happily ever after.
BUT
A lot of the top finance organisations do not value Economics undergraduates as much unless they come out of top top universities with a good grade (think LSE with a 1st/2.1). A lot of these companies in fact hire larger numbers of engineering graduates. This is because while their education may not help them, the requirements and rigor of education for engineering are higher, and they value that more than the slight headstart an economics graduate may have. For computer science, it's similar to Engineering; not AS easy, but I would argue they would value it more than an Economics degree.
One of the biggest things taking such a route though is showing that you are passionate about working in finance and why they should take you, which is arguably slightly easier with an Economics degree. However I cannot stress how strong engineering/CS degrees are in getting into finance, particularly if you go to a London Uni (Imperial will be fantastic for this) or Oxbridge.

quick summart TL;DR

They often thing engineers/CS are smarter - higher entry grades, harder work
You still need to show you care about working in finance
The one worry I have with CS is the low employment rates
Bluebell1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi not OP but I was wondering if someone can tell me clearly the difference between finance & banking.
Also what kind of companies accept people from any degree disciplines to go into finance and same for banking. Or for banking, do they prefer people with degrees e.g acturial sci, maths etc as opposed to completely different degrees e.g science/chem/biology etc.

Do people who work in the investment banking and IT industry e.g jp MORGAN, FUJITSU ETC have reallllly long hours.
Thanks in advance
JoshNilsson
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bluebell1234)
Hi not OP but I was wondering if someone can tell me clearly the difference between finance & banking.
Also what kind of companies accept people from any degree disciplines to go into finance and same for banking. Or for banking, do they prefer people with degrees e.g acturial sci, maths etc as opposed to completely different degrees e.g science/chem/biology etc.

Do people who work in the investment banking and IT industry e.g jp MORGAN, FUJITSU ETC have reallllly long hours.
Thanks in advance
I can only speak for finance but it’s things like auditin, tax and consulting and risk advisory
Breakingbank
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
computer science is way more useful and desirable for IBD than economics is, econ is just boring theory and maths whereas comp sci you learn about coding, excel etc which judging by my internship in IBD would be far more useful.. I didn't use any economic knowledge from my degree during my internship.
anonymous45465
Rep:
?
(Original post by Breakingbank)
computer science is way more useful and desirable for IBD than economics is, econ is just boring theory and maths whereas comp sci you learn about coding, excel etc which judging by my internship in IBD would be far more useful.. I didn't use any economic knowledge from my degree during my internship.
Which role did you undertake? Is the reason for the low percentage of CS grads in finance due to many of them not pursuing it? What problems did you face which were due to you completing an unrelated degree?
Breakingbank
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which role did you undertake? Is the reason for the low percentage of CS grads in finance due to many of them not pursuing it? What problems did you face which were due to you completing an unrelated degree?
- IBD
- I assume so as most of them want to go for tech firms
- well I studied economics and honestly it's not really relevant for IBD, I was on excel and PowerPoint 16-18 hours a day and if I was a compsci student I would have had the computer skills to be far more efficient and complete work quicker, this is why I personally think compsci is useful for IBD
anonymous45465
Rep:
?
(Original post by Breakingbank)
- IBD
- I assume so as most of them want to go for tech firms
- well I studied economics and honestly it's not really relevant for IBD, I was on excel and PowerPoint 16-18 hours a day and if I was a compsci student I would have had the computer skills to be far more efficient and complete work quicker, this is why I personally think compsci is useful for IBD
So if I was applying to a finance job at a top firm I wouldn't be at a disadvantage to someone with an economics/finance degree? Do I have to discuss why I decided to pursue banking as oppose to a tech related job?
lastly, based on the universities I mentioned above which one would provide me with a greater chance of landing a top banking job?
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So if I was applying to a finance job at a top firm I wouldn't be at a disadvantage to someone with an economics/finance degree? Do I have to discuss why I decided to pursue banking as oppose to a tech related job?
lastly, based on the universities I mentioned above which one would provide me with a greater chance of landing a top banking job?
This isn't how it works nor how you should be thinking about this. Banks literally could not care less which of CompSci or Econ you do when applying to any "vanilla" front office role. It simply doesn't matter and other factors of your CV (uni, grades, achievements, work exp, etc) matter far more.

CompSci isn't just fiddling around on a computer - if you're at a decent university, you'll be working hard on some pretty abstracted problems. For one of my coursework's at my current uni (as a first year) I had to effectively learn a little bit of chaos theory and time series analysis by myself before even thinking about starting it. You're gonna work hard on a lot of maths, theory, problem solving and then implementation.

Read around both subjects a little and decide for yourself what you'd rather study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
maths_tripos23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Computer Science is a much better degree than economics. With the way society is shaping...computer science majors are in a much higher demand than economics majors around the world, especially in the United States. A CS major can do anything in terms of jobs that economics major can do...it doesn’t quite work the other way around.CS is probably the best degree you can do at university now and if you study cs at a top tier CS UK Uni (imperial Edinburgh oxbridge) you’ll find that this course is one of the toughest to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads