Do uni ranks of a specific course matter?

Watch this thread
Faizanasif
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For example, if you apply to a uni that is ranked 8th overall, but for the specific course is ranked 18th, and another uni is ranked 20th overall but 9th for the specific course, which one do you choose? I know that the specific courses they'll be better research on that course, but for employer reputation which one would be best? I hope I made that clear! This is for Accounting and Finance, and the numbers are just approximate. Also each website is different when ranking unis for accounting and finance
Faizanasif
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Anyone?
Appleorpear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
would help if you said where and applying this year or next
Faizanasif
Rep:
(Original post by Appleorpear)
would help if you said where and applying this year or next
Oh sorry haha. Birmingham is ranked 19th for accounting and finance and overall whereas Southampton is ranked 15th overall but 35th for accounting and finance. However every website is different, and some even say St. Andrews is 3rd in the UK!
Student-95
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Lol, of course they matter - it's a measure of how good the course is. That's more important than the overall ranking which will be a function of all the other courses that you won't be studying.
Capricancer
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Faizanasif)
Oh sorry haha. Birmingham is ranked 19th for accounting and finance and overall whereas Southampton is ranked 15th overall but 35th for accounting and finance. However every website is different, and some even say St. Andrews is 3rd in the UK!
yes, all three domestic rankings place St Andrews third in the UK
Faizanasif
Rep:
(Original post by Student-95)
Lol, of course they matter - it's a measure of how good the course is. That's more important than the overall ranking which will be a function of all the other courses that you won't be studying.
Yes but the problem is websites stating these specific courses are so different. One says Surrey is 9th for example and the other says 30th. I was thinking maybe the employer side of things they’ll judge on how prestigious the uni is as a whole
Faizanasif
Rep:
(Original post by Capricancer)
yes, all three domestic rankings place St Andrews third in the UK
Some say 3rd but one says it’s not even in the top 20
Student-95
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yes but the problem is websites stating these specific courses are so different. One says Surrey is 9th for example and the other says 30th. I was thinking maybe the employer side of things they’ll judge on how prestigious the uni is as a whole
Look at the criteria used in the rankings. The weight of the different factors (research, satisfaction etc.) will differ depending on which table you look at.

If I'm hiring an accounting student, why would I care how good their university is at arts and humanity courses? For the most part, employers don't really care which uni you went to. Some employers will have good links with certain universities and target them more but that is generally based on their experiences with that uni, not what the rankings say.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
For example, if you apply to a uni that is ranked 8th overall, but for the specific course is ranked 18th, and another uni is ranked 20th overall but 9th for the specific course, which one do you choose? I know that the specific courses they'll be better research on that course, but for employer reputation which one would be best? I hope I made that clear! This is for Accounting and Finance, and the numbers are just approximate. Also each website is different when ranking unis for accounting and finance
No it doesn't matter, as ranking fluctuates every year and employers do not look at it whatsoever. Rankings does not necessarily reflect the strength of the department. For jobs related to Accounting and for most Finance fields, the university you go to is not taken into consideration and is hidden when hiring managers view it (e.g. Deliotte and other top 10 companies).
Daniel Chen
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
so, you mean that the overall rank is more important?
(Original post by kkboyk)
No it doesn't matter, as ranking fluctuates every year and employers do not look at it whatsoever. Rankings does not necessarily reflect the strength of the department. For jobs related to Accounting and for most Finance fields, the university you go to is not taken into consideration and is hidden when hiring managers view it (e.g. Deliotte and other top 10 companies).
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Daniel Chen)
so, you mean that the overall rank is more important?
No that's completely different to what I said. What I said a year ago is that rankings are unreliable and does not reflect the quality of teaching at universities (e.g. take Mechanical engineering at UCL as good example, its considered to be one of the worst department). Majority of employers do not follow rankings or care (if it was the case, I wouldn't have made it through to the final interview stage for some grad jobs in top companies like HSBC, which I assure you, a lot of candidates went to bottom ranking uni).

You can use ranking as a basis, but not rely on it completely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.13%
The paper was reasonable (136)
37.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.51%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.21%

Watched Threads