Vanilla Twilight
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
I don't really understand how to do this question, any help?

"A sample of rubidium contains the isotopes ^85Rb and ^87Rb only. The isotope ^85Rb has an abundance 2.5 times greater than that of ^87Rb. Calculate the relative atomic mass of rubidium in the sample."
clouddbubbles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Vanilla Twilight)
Hi,
I don't really understand how to do this question, any help?

"A sample of rubidium contains the isotopes ^85Rb and ^87Rb only. The isotope ^85Rb has an abundance 2.5 times greater than that of ^87Rb. Calculate the relative atomic mass of rubidium in the sample."
definition of what it is : the relative atomic mass of an element is a weighted average of the masses of the atoms of the isotopes - because if there is much more of one isotope then that will influence the average mass much more than the less abundant isotope will

how to work it out : the relative atomic mass is worked out using the following formula, illustrated for two isotopes, where the abundances are given in percentage values.
Attachment 703790
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
(Original post by clouddbubbles)
definition of what it is : the relative atomic mass of an element is a weighted average of the masses of the atoms of the isotopes - because if there is much more of one isotope then that will influence the average mass much more than the less abundant isotope will

how to work it out : the relative atomic mass is worked out using the following formula, illustrated for two isotopes, where the abundances are given in percentage values.
Attachment 703790
Thanks, I know how to work out relative atomic mass on simple calculations, but this one requires you to work out the relative abundances yourself first, and I don't know how to do that?
clouddbubbles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks, I know how to work out relative atomic mass on simple calculations, but this one requires you to work out the relative abundances yourself first, and I don't know how to do that?
oh yes - ive forgotten how to work out abundance but i can go and check my books from last year if you want ahah
_RobbieL_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Essentially what you're doing is calculating an average between the 85 isotope and 87 isotope of Rubidium.

To do this, you start off with figuring out the ratio of 85:87 isotopes, which as the question told you is:

2.5:1 (because the 85 isotope is 2.5x greater in abundance than the 87 isotope). This then equals:
5:2 (I just prefer looking at it this way as there are no decimals, but you can work it out from the previous ratio just as easily).

Now you have an exact ratio, you just solve to find the average/mean. So,

[(5 x 85) + (2 x 87)]/7

I believe this should give you the correct answer. Similarly, you should be able to use this method for every relative abundance calculation you come across.
username2975726
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well the whole sample adds up to 100% right?

And 85 Rb is 2.5 times more. So you could say the abundance of Rubidium 85 is 2.5x (%) , and the abundance of Rubidium 87 is x (%)

Therefore you could say that 3.5x = 100 (%)

Solve to find x

Sub in : (85 times (x times 2.5)) + (87 times x) / 100
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
(Original post by _RobbieL_)
Essentially what you're doing is calculating an average between the 85 isotope and 87 isotope of Rubidium.

To do this, you start off with figuring out the ratio of 85:87 isotopes, which as the question told you is:

2.5:1 (because the 85 isotope is 2.5x greater in abundance than the 87 isotope). This then equals:
5:2 (I just prefer looking at it this way as there are no decimals, but you can work it out from the previous ratio just as easily).

Now you have an exact ratio, you just solve to find the average/mean. So,

[(5 x 85) + (2 x 87)]/7

I believe this should give you the correct answer. Similarly, you should be able to use this method for every relative abundance calculation you come across.
Thank you for your help!
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
Thanks for replying! Sorry if this seems obvious, but where did you get the 3.5 from?
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
(Original post by clouddbubbles)
oh yes - ive forgotten how to work out abundance but i can go and check my books from last year if you want ahah
It's okay. Thanks anyway.
username2975726
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for replying! Sorry if this seems obvious, but where did you get the 3.5 from?
Well the 2 samples are, as labelled x and 2.5x (because the abundance of Rb 87 is x as it is unknown, and 85 Rb is also unknown but is 2.5 times more than 87 Rb, so we can label is 2.5x) .

And together, they make 100% of the sample, so you could say

x + 2.5x = 100% of the sample

so 3.5x = 100%

x = 28.571%

We've solved for the unknown now. Then plug in x into the standard abundance equation

(85 times ( 2.5 times 28.571)) + (87 times 28.571) /100
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
Oh ok, thanks for the help! Do you know whether these sorts of questions where they require you to work out the abundances are common in exams? I've never come across them before.
username2975726
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh ok, thanks for the help! Do you know whether these sorts of questions where they require you to work out the abundances are common in exams? I've never come across them before.
I'm not too sure tbh. I only saw one in my textbook and in my end of topic atomic structure there was one similar to that
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
I guess it's just simple maths when you know how. Thanks for the help.
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They seem to be putting more emphasis on mathematical manipulation in the exams now so i wouldn't be surprised if they did...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (213)
43.83%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.52%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (103)
21.19%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (51)
10.49%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.56%

Watched Threads