The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Is it worth applying to LSE with a prediction less than the entry requirements

I want to study Economics and am not sure whether it is worth applying to LSE. I'm predicted a B in AS further maths, and the university says it requires an A for AS further maths, the A*AA with A* in maths entry requirement I meet but will they quickly overlook my application because of my AS grade? Some universities do give offers with lower predicteds but has LSE ever done the same? I don't want to waste a space on my UCAS choice if there is a small chance of me getting in. Any help would be appreciated
Original post by dot2307
I want to study Economics and am not sure whether it is worth applying to LSE. I'm predicted a B in AS further maths, and the university says it requires an A for AS further maths, the A*AA with A* in maths entry requirement I meet but will they quickly overlook my application because of my AS grade? Some universities do give offers with lower predicteds but has LSE ever done the same? I don't want to waste a space on my UCAS choice if there is a small chance of me getting in. Any help would be appreciated

If you really like the uni and you have space for a risky choice then I'd say do apply.
Going to :bump: to see if people with more experience of LSE can further advise you on this.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Why not :smile: I'm also applying to LSE for a course 1 grade higher than my entry requirement. They're more of a 'just to see' university as I'll probably get rejected anyway
I applied for Econcomics at LSE last year with the exact grade requirement but was rejected because of my personal statement, so I think it is very important that you have a good personal statement. I have met someone whose offer was lowered from A*AA to AAA for economics and that person applied to LSE. I'd say work hard for the personal statement maybe?
Reply 4
Pretty sure they auto reject if you don't meet the minimum in the first 2 weeks- maybe not...
Original post by coconut64
I applied for Econcomics at LSE last year with the exact grade requirement but was rejected because of my personal statement, so I think it is very important that you have a good personal statement. I have met someone whose offer was lowered from A*AA to AAA for economics and that person applied to LSE. I'd say work hard for the personal statement maybe?

That's a load of horse sh*t.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lse_entry_offers_l100_economics
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lse_entry_offers_l100_economics

According to this they dont ever lower it, think the outreach part is LSE choice which, according to an LSE student, makes it much easier for people to get an offer from there
Reply 7
Not really, theyre always heinously over subscribed so are very unlikely to make needless allowances.
Yeah im doing it rn, mostly for poor london plebs like me lol, it's basically lots of saturday sessions where you learn about a certain topic (im doing maths) on a broader term. You kinda have an advantage in that being in LSE so much meant my personal statement was basically designed for LSE and their course + im fairly sure doing it means its easier to get in too
Please what were their predicted grades when they were given that offer
Dont forget those are minimum grades and many people over and above that will not get in.

If you go lower down the food chain then you can chance it with one or two of your choices and they might set a target offer in excess of your predicted as an incentive.
The vast majority of people who apply will have exceeded or met those requirements. I really doubt that they’d give an offer to someone who hasn’t met the requirement unless they’re truly exceptional. If you are determined to go to LSE then it’s best to get good A Level grades this year and apply after getting your results during a gap year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Mystelle
Why not :smile: I'm also applying to LSE for a course 1 grade higher than my entry requirement. They're more of a 'just to see' university as I'll probably get rejected anyway

do you mind telling me if you got in?
Original post by levelzero
do you mind telling me if you got in?

I actually withdrew my application in the end, after considering their embarrassingly low student satisfaction score πŸ˜‚

Quick Reply

Latest