The Student Room Group

I need help with a Land Law Question on adverse possession.

My tutor had a very different approach to this question. Which made me extremely confused. Can anyone help me to answer this problem question please ?
In 1993, Vincent, a farmer, sold one of his fields to Mount Tara Developments Ltd. The field lay adjacent to a single carriageway road, which the local authorities had signalled would soon be upgraded to motorway status. Mount Tara Developments bought the land with the intention of building a motorway service station on the site. On the day of purchase, Mount Tara Developments wrote to Vincent asking him to remove his cattle from the field. They also asked him to place one of their advertising notices on the gate nearest to the roadway. Vincent never got round to those tasks. In fact, as the motorway development continued to encounter delays related to environmental and heritage concerns, Vincent continued to graze his cattle on the field. In 1999, Vincent decided to leave farming. He sold his cattle and retired to Spain. At his farewell night in the local pub, Vincent agreed to lease the field adjacent to the roadway to his neighbour, and local businessman, Billy. Billy, who had always fancied himself as a farmer, decided to use the field to grow-and later sell-strawberries. Billy built a number of polythene sheds on the land in order to facilitate this commercial enterprise. In 2003, the chief executive of Mount Tara Developments happened to be driving by the strawberry beds. He stopped his car and looked in over the fence but as he attempted to open the gate, one of Billy’s employee’s ran towards him and in an aggressive tone told him to ‘clear off’. A week later, Mount Tara Development’s solicitors wrote to Billy requesting that he leave the field immediately. In reply, Billy suggested that he ‘probably would leave’ if the road was upgraded because, he wrote, ‘the noise and pollution emanating from the motorway would destroy my crops’. Earlier this year, work finally began to upgrade the road but Billy has had a change of heart, and wants to remain on the land. Advise Mount Tara Developments Ltd .
Thank you !!

Quick Reply

Latest