can I still get a student loan if I have lived in Middle East for 4 years

Watch
ALB65
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi can anyone tell me if I am still elegable for a student loan if I have been living in the Middle East for 4 years? I came back for 2 months every year during the time i was away over summer time. I'm back in the UK now and thinking of applying for an MA or Counselling course. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ALB65)
Hi can anyone tell me if I am still elegable for a student loan if I have been living in the Middle East for 4 years? I came back for 2 months every year during the time i was away over summer time. I'm back in the UK now and thinking of applying for an MA or Counselling course. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Hi ALB65,

In order for me to give you the most accurate answer I have a couple of questions:

1. Are you a UK National?

2. When did you return to the UK?

Thanks,

Stuart
ALB65
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stuart SFE)
Hi ALB65,

In order for me to give you the most accurate answer I have a couple of questions:

1. Are you a UK National?

2. When did you return to the UK?

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I can confirm I am a UK national and I returned in August 2017.

Allan
Stuart SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ALB65)
Hi Stuart

I can confirm I am a UK national and I returned in August 2017.

Allan
Hi Allan,

Thanks for that.

To be eligible for funding as a UK National you must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

However, if you can show us that your time overseas was temporary in nature (Gap Year/Holiday, Voluntary Work overseas, Working for HM Armed Forces etc) you may be eligible for funding if you have been outside the EU/EEA.

Acceptable evidence includes:

- A letter from HEI confirming gap year

- A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates

- A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature

- A letter from HM armed services if applicable

- Temporary visas or work permits

If none of the above is available you can send send any evidence of the break (e.g. copies of ticket receipts, accommodation lease, etc.) with a covering letter. This evidence will be deemed acceptable on a 'case-by-case' basis.

Regards,

Stuart
ALB65
Rep:
?
Hi Stuart what if I am unable to get any of those?
ALB65
Rep:
?
Would temporary employment contracts be sufficiant? say for a year to 2 years? Think I have PDF's and tenancy contacts but they were made out in the company name not my name though
Stuart SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ALB65)
Hi Stuart what if I am unable to get any of those?
Hi Allan,

If you're unable to show us that the time overseas was temporary in nature then you would be ineligible for funding from SFE.

If you're looking to do an MA then have a chat with the university. They may be able to suggest other funding sources.

Regards,

Stuart
ALB65
Rep:
?
Thanks for your help buddy
ALB65
Rep:
?
A 2 year contract or a 1 year contract in Dubai is I believe temporary in nature as its only for 2 years same as a 1 year contract would the contract have to actually state that it is temporary?
IFE1100
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi my case is similar. I would only be here in the uk for 2 years 11 months at the start of my course but I am a British citizen. Will I definitely have to wait a whole year to be eligible for student loan?
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ALB65)
A 2 year contract or a 1 year contract in Dubai is I believe temporary in nature as its only for 2 years same as a 1 year contract would the contract have to actually state that it is temporary?
Hi Alba65,

To be assessed as UK National as you are aware you,

• Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and
  • be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

We accept temporary breaks in residency, copies of contracts that show a start and end date, temporary working visas would be acceptable evidence, if assessors require any clarification they will request it.

Thanks Rona
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IFE1100)
Hi my case is similar. I would only be here in the uk for 2 years 11 months at the start of my course but I am a British citizen. Will I definitely have to wait a whole year to be eligible for student loan?
Hi IFE1100,

If you are a UK National, then as long as your break in residency was of a temporary nature, you did not emigrate, the same advice applies,

To be assessed as UK National as you are aware you,

• Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and
  • be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

We accept temporary breaks in residency, copies of contracts that show a start and end date, temporary working visas would be acceptable evidence, if assessors require any clarification they will request it.

Thanks Rona
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (186)
58.13%
I don't have everything I need (134)
41.88%

Watched Threads