Lancaster University Biosciences Applicants/Offer Holders 2018! Watch

Candiceswyip
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks a lot!
Would you mind to share that is the course of Biomedical science interesting and practical or not?
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Candiceswyip)
Thanks a lot!
Would you mind to share that is the course of Biomedical science interesting and practical or not?
Well it depends what you find interesting!
In terms of practicals, in first year you will have about 2-3 a week and then 1-2 a week in second and third year. They're usually about 2-4 hours long and vary in terms of whether they're cell biology, biochemistry, microbiology, genetics etc based. You get more confident over time and more is expected of you. At the end of second year you do an independent project which gives you a chance to do actual research and is a massive learning process. You have the lecturers and postgraduate assistants who help you along the way as well. Often the coursework is based around the practicals.
Charlotte
Itsnotaphasemom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello,
Don't be nervous!
Feel free to drop a reply to this/message if you have any questions.
Unconditionals now have to go through the interview process.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Hello,
Thanks for the reply
What does an unconditional offer interview consist of?
In my head I’m reminded of those notorious Cambridge interviews.... which sound terrifying!
Hopefully they aren’t hard- is any prep needed?
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Itsnotaphasemom)
Hello,
Thanks for the reply
What does an unconditional offer interview consist of?
In my head I’m reminded of those notorious Cambridge interviews.... which sound terrifying!
Hopefully they aren’t hard- is any prep needed?
Hello,
No they're nothing like the Cambridge interviews.
Obviously I can't tell you too much but a lecturer and a current student ambassador will ask you questions about your personal statement, why you want to come to the uni, study the subject etc. Typical stuff. Most of the day will be tours of campus, talks about the course, chances to talk to students and lecturers.
They should send you some info on how to prepare & I believe that if you don't get the unconditional, your conditional offer won't be taken away.
Charlotte
Candiceswyip
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hello,
No they're nothing like the Cambridge interviews.
Obviously I can't tell you too much but a lecturer and a current student ambassador will ask you questions about your personal statement, why you want to come to the uni, study the subject etc. Typical stuff. Most of the day will be tours of campus, talks about the course, chances to talk to students and lecturers.
They should send you some info on how to prepare & I believe that if you don't get the unconditional, your conditional offer won't be taken away.
Charlotte
Will it be difficult to find a placement in year 3 of Biomed in Lancaster U?
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Will it be difficult to find a placement in year 3 of Biomed in Lancaster U?
It depends.
A lot of people are doing them at the moment and they can be competitive. However, you don't have to apply to just ones in the area around Lancaster, so for example, you could apply to some back home where there might be less competition! You'll have help and guidance throughout the process though.
Charlotte
Candiceswyip
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It depends.
A lot of people are doing them at the moment and they can be competitive. However, you don't have to apply to just ones in the area around Lancaster, so for example, you could apply to some back home where there might be less competition! You'll have help and guidance throughout the process though.
Charlotte
Because I am an international student, so I don't really understand "apply to some back home". Can you explain to me, please?
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Because I am an international student, so I don't really understand "apply to some back home". Can you explain to me, please?
Ah okay, for home students they can apply to hospitals near where they're originally from (and live at home for a year). As an International student, I'm not sure exactly how it'll work, but the point is that you don't have to work at an NHS hospital near Lancaster - increasing your chances of getting a place.
Charlotte
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (54)
32.34%
No I don't (79)
47.31%
I work during the holidays (34)
20.36%

Watched Threads