The Student Room Group

Are these grades good enough for Cambridge Medicine or a top ten university?

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yes you can. just revise.
Thank you for the advice
With only 2 science subjects at A Level, I think Cambridge would be an uphill struggle. Not technically impossible of course.
Original post by medhopeful14
I received my IGSCE results earlier this year and achieved 1A* 4A's and 5B's. I know that compared to some medical school applicants this is pretty poor. However at a - level i am taking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I hope to apply to Downing College in Cambridge. I do release that without strong a level results I will be unable to attend Cambridge University. Do you think that I could get into Cambridge/ any advice moving forth.

Cambridge does not consider psychology as a science - in says it on the websites
Original post by Chief Wiggum
With only 2 science subjects at A Level, I think Cambridge would be an uphill struggle. Not technically impossible of course.

Both you and one other Tsr user make valid points, i took psychology beause i believe i can do better in that ie acheive a star compared to physics or maths. I have looked at Cambridge collleges and Downing seems to be the most lenient stating that 2 sciences and one non- science subject may be acceptable.
Both you and one other Tsr user make valid points, i took psychology beause i believe i can do better in that ie acheive a star compared to physics or maths. I have looked at Cambridge collleges and Downing seems to be the most lenient stating that 2 sciences and one non- science subject may be acceptable.

Those who take 3 sciences are preferred over those who only take 2 and more likely to be accepted, especially in a competitive science-based subject like medicine.
Original post by nockicles
Those who take 3 sciences are preferred over those who only take 2 and more likely to be accepted, especially in a competitive science-based subject like medicine.

Yes this is correct, however i am aware from consulting the Downing college website, that they do prefer people who do 3 sciences or maths but high scores in biology and chemistry in particular are more favourable and if past offer have been made to candiates with 2 sciences at that college which seems to be the most lenient in terms of 2 sciences, I believe that this is possible for myself and other candiates through hard work and determination. Plus i dont want to put all my eggs in one basket as they say, because in the unfortunate circumstance i dont get into Cambridge an A* still looks good in pyschology for a degree in medicine at somewhere like UCL where preference is for biology and chemistry only
your gcse grades are low for cambridge and psycology is a poor a level choice. it has little relevence to medicine and is a soft subject. you might have a shot if you get A* A* A*, do amazing on the interview and get work experience eg serving food at a local hospital or working in a care home
Original post by anoymous77
your gcse grades are low for cambridge and psycology is a poor a level choice. it has little relevence to medicine and is a soft subject. you might have a shot if you get A* A* A*, do amazing on the interview and get work experience eg serving food at a local hospital or working in a care home

You make some fair points except that most applicants to Cambridge have four to five A*-A grades as indicated on their website. I disagree that psychology is a poor a level choice it covers multiple aspects on biology and is covered in some detail in a medicine degree. In addition to this cambridge has not set gsce requirements apart from a C in maths and english language. As displayed on their website they do not state a proportion of A* which must be achieved at GSCE as they do not wish to bar anybody who meets their a level requirement. They further proceed to state that they believed post 16 examination is a much better indicator at degree sucess. I believe that with strong A- level predictions, a great interview and a high Bmat Score i have a chance of being accepted
(edited 6 years ago)
You make some fair points except that most applicants to Cambridge have four to five A*-A grades as indicated on their website. I disagree that psychology is a poor a level choice it covers multiple aspects on biology and is covered in some detail in a medicine degree.

If you want to disregard the facts that's your choice to be full of denial.

Realistically with that GCSE profile, only two sciences and only three A-levels, no, sorry but I don't see you getting into Cambridge.
I received my IGSCE results earlier this year and achieved 1A* 4A's and 5B's. I know that compared to some medical school applicants this is pretty poor. However at a - level i am taking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I hope to apply to Downing College in Cambridge. I do release that without strong a level results I will be unable to attend Cambridge University. Do you think that I could get into Cambridge/ any advice moving forth.

No harm in applying when the time comes - you still have 4 other slots to use as a backup. But you're disadvantaged in terms of GCSE grades and A-level choices. You'll probably need everything else to be exceptional (grades, interview, PS, admissions test).
I really don't believe most of them have 4-5 A/A* A levels, also you just said before even with that certain college they still would prefer 3 sciences so surely you should try to put yourself in the best position possible.
You make some fair points except that most applicants to Cambridge have four to five A*-A grades as indicated on their website. I disagree that psychology is a poor a level choice it covers multiple aspects on biology and is covered in some detail in a medicine degree. In addition to this cambridge has not set gsce requirements apart from a C in maths and english language. As displayed on their website they do not state a proportion of A* which must be achieved at GSCE as they do not wish to bar anybody who meets their a level requirement. They further proceed to state that they believed post 16 examination is a much better indicator at degree sucess. I believe that with strong A- level predictions, a great interview and a high Bmat Score i have a chance of being accepted

Of course there’s a chance and if you don’t apply you’ll never know but you are putting yourself at a real disadvantage here compared to the other applicants. Doesn’t matter if they state a C grade or 2 science subjects, competition will naturally push this higher. Medicine is incredibly competitive and Cambridge is also competitive. Imagine you’ve got 1000 applicants (a number pulled out of thin air, I don’t know the true figures) and 800 of those have loads of A*s and As at GCSE and 3 sciences at A level at very good grades all with lots of work experience. Realistically are they going to pick someone with lower grades etc? I know grades aren’t everything and go ahead and prove us wrong, everyone has a chance. A girl in my year at school got straight A*s at GCSE, did loads of work experience and achieved A*A*A* in bio, chemistry and maths, had a high BMAT score and STILL didn’t get in. Obviously I can’t say anything about her interview because I’m not the admissions officer but you get the point.

Also you state ‘most applicants have 4-5 A* grades’ that’s just that, applicants. Not necessarily people who get offers.

Also if you think you have a chance, why are you asking the question?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by anoymous77

Are you having a laugh? Psychology has no relevance to medicine?

Psychology is one of the most popular choices for medical applicants. Honestly I think psychology has far more relevance to modern healthcare professionals who have regular contact with patients than Chemistry. A huge proportion of your time during preclinical years will be spent learning about psychopathology, communication...

OP your choices are fine, however look at the bigger picture. There are so many medical schools out there. You will leave with exactly the same credentials. Just make sure you do your research. Cambridge have a fairly outdated method for teaching medicine and very little patient contact. It may not make you best clinician you can be, unless you want to go into academic/research medicine.
Original post by TRAnders
Are you having a laugh? Psychology has no relevance to medicine?

Psychology is one of the most popular choices for medical applicants. Honestly I think psychology has far more relevance to modern healthcare professionals who have regular contact with patients than Chemistry. A huge proportion of your time during preclinical years will be spent learning about psychopathology, communication...

OP your choices are fine, however look at the bigger picture. There are so many medical schools out there. You will leave with exactly the same credentials. Just make sure you do your research. Cambridge have a fairly outdated method for teaching medicine and very little patient contact. It may not make you best clinician you can be, unless you want to go into academic/research medicine.

Cambridge has plenty of patient contact in the clinical years with a huge emphasis on communication skills. Although yes it is important to be aware of the preclinical clinical divide (Cambridge is far from unique in that respect though).

Pretty sure Cambridge graduates have one of the highest pass rates on PACES?
From the website: "Of the two per cent of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, six per cent were successful in gaining a place."
It won't be easy but not exactly impossible either.
Original post by Vanilla Twilight
From the website: "Of the two per cent of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, six per cent were successful in gaining a place."
It won't be easy but not exactly impossible either.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf (page 12)

you need 3 sciences now
Never knew that, my bad.
Original post by CloakedSpartan
If you want to disregard the facts that's your choice to be full of denial.

Realistically with that GCSE profile, only two sciences and only three A-levels, no, sorry but I don't see you getting into Cambridge.

Your opinion is respected, i give my actual results and that's all. I rather do that than be one of those kids asking if they can get into medicine with staright A* at gsce and a level, full marks on the Bmat and something ridiculous like i discovered a new element or some sort. I personally dont have a massive issue in terms of GSCE'S, i get my facts straight from the cambridge website and in addition to this the downing college website more specifically. I think you need to check yourself in terms of saying that i live full of denial, all my facts come from actual sources not TSR users who are full of themeselves e.g. look at other medicine threads and you'll know what i mean. I took two sciences purely on the basis that i didnt want to put all my eggs in one basket as they say as quite frankly i know that their are other unis for medicine which offer equally good courses.

Quick Reply

Latest