The Student Room Group

Is getting an 90 UMS in C3/C4 harder than getting a merit in the AEA?

Title says the question.
No id say it isnt. I got 100 C3 97C4 and 79 in the AEA this year which was only 3 off distinction. if you can merit AEA your core knowledge is pretty strong, easily enough for 90s
Reply 2
Definitely not. 90 UMS C3/4 is just the most significant hurdle for an A* at A Level and AEA is designed to be for the top 10% of A Level Mathematicians (16% get an A*). If A* at A level is harder than the lowest Grade at AEA, then Edexcel wouldn't continue to run the spec.
Original post by StayWoke
Definitely not. 90 UMS C3/4 is just the most significant hurdle for an A* at A Level and AEA is designed to be for the top 10% of A Level Mathematicians (16% get an A*). If A* at A level is harder than the lowest Grade at AEA, then Edexcel wouldn't continue to run the spec.

Was just wondering because the AEA was before the A* was introduced and they ended up removing it for most subjects and so I thought that the distinction would be like an A** whilst a merit would be an A*.
Reply 4
Original post by Appleorpear
Was just wondering because the AEA was before the A* was introduced and they ended up removing it for most subjects and so I thought that the distinction would be like an A** whilst a merit would be an A*.

Not really no, because so many people get the A* in Mathematics, they saw that it was still actually useful.
Top 16% get A*
AND then it's probably something like, Top 8% Could get Merit AEA
and then Top 5% could get Distinction AEA

Quick Reply

Latest