The Student Room Group

REALLY BAD GCSE grades , applying to Oxbridge ?

For my GCSE’s I was predicted all A’s , but had major problems during and before my exams . Leaving me with 1A* , 2 A’s , 2 B’s ,4 C’s, 3 D’s .I know my grades are very bad , I really want to apply to Oxbridge but I know I’ll get rejected . Also , my exams were 6 months ago but I’m still so upset , because I think I disappointed my teachers and couldn’t study biology as I got s bad grade . Also , I heard Oxbridge looks at your schools results and over 30 students in my school achieved a grade 9 ( A**) , there were loads of bright people ! I also couldn’t go to the sixth Form I wanted to , I aced the interview but my grades let me down . How do I get over dwelling on such bad grades ? I also only got a C for maths , should I re sit it? I really need help because this is breaking my heart !
Firstly you could mention that you had extenuating circumstances in your GCSEs (if your major problems could be counted in that). Secondly, Oxford look more at GCSE grades more than Cambridge I think so you could consider that too
why's oxbridge so special anyway ?
i am just curious what are you doing now 3 years on?
Reply 4
Depends on your circumstances, if you have a valid reason to why your grades dropped then maybe but it is highly unlikely. I know classmates who applied to Oxford who got a grade 8’s and 9’s ( A and A* ) at GCSE and had the entry requirements required for Oxford but got rejected and had to settle for Durham ( not like Durham is a bad uni but still ). Oxford is more picky, you have to have the perfect grades, personal statement and you have to ace the interviews. Anyways good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest