Turn on thread page Beta

AQA AS Computing Module 3 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supreme)
    Make sure you do the documentation as it makes the exam a lot easier although I was annoyed with AQA as they expect you to produce pages of waffle and to answer the question you didn't really need anyone of it, last year anyway. But then again without out all of the documentation they can refuse to mark it!
    You need to provide evidence in order to show the examiner that you have actually attempted the project.

The Exact message on the front of the paper is:
    Warning: If you do not hand in both documents it may not be possible to issue a result for this unit.

AQA will most likely still mark your examination (sometimes reports go missing in transport - they still mark these papers), what will happen though, is in the exam you need to reference "where in your report you have showed...", since you have no documentation, you cannot get any of the marks for that question and related questions. In other words - you will most likely end up failing the exam.

BTW, ONLY ever reference a MAXIMUM of THREE (3) pages of your report in your exam - if you reference more, they will only look at the first 3 page references made.

You are NOT required to write pages and pages of waffle - sad but true - the examiner will not look through your entire report, they will only look at the pages referenced from your exam paper. But you still need to do at least the minimum, else if your answer is not in the report, you can't possibly reference it!

Any questions - feel free to ask.

-mi§tery-
    Teacher of AS & A2 Computing

ReputationRep:
    I used Access to produce my Tod's Tyres system last year and I got 90/90 UMS so I dont think that it hinders you at all using a program such as Access and not programming it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    90/90? You are good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    90/90? You are good!
    297/300 for AS, I just cant motivate myself to do the A2 project though, its just like jumping through hoops and not interesting in the slightest. :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mi5tery)
    You need to provide evidence in order to show the examiner that you have actually attempted the project.

The Exact message on the front of the paper is:
    Warning: If you do not hand in both documents it may not be possible to issue a result for this unit.

AQA will most likely still mark your examination (sometimes reports go missing in transport - they still mark these papers), what will happen though, is in the exam you need to reference "where in your report you have showed...", since you have no documentation, you cannot get any of the marks for that question and related questions. In other words - you will most likely end up failing the exam.

BTW, ONLY ever reference a MAXIMUM of THREE (3) pages of your report in your exam - if you reference more, they will only look at the first 3 page references made.

You are NOT required to write pages and pages of waffle - sad but true - the examiner will not look through your entire report, they will only look at the pages referenced from your exam paper. But you still need to do at least the minimum, else if your answer is not in the report, you can't possibly reference it!

Any questions - feel free to ask.

-mi§tery-
    Teacher of AS & A2 Computing
    Ok I was wrong then :rolleyes: but thats what I was told.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the same for pre-release materials as well.

If you're doing portfolios, they just look at the pages you indicated on the mark sheet.

ReputationRep:
    im workin on access. has anyone come up with a good design layout that their willing to share. id say 4 tables tops but if u can do it with any less , can u share ur idea

ReputationRep:
    IF YOU LOOK AT PAST PAPERS, YOU'LL SEE ONLY ABOUT 7/60 ARE TO REFER TO THE DOCUMENTATION...

Right, the first time i did this, i spent AGES on the project, made it amazing, it all worked and super documentation.. but in the exam i did **** on the questions and i got a U. the second time i did it, i was like **** the project.. ill make up documentation (i did like 4 pages of some diagrams n ****) and i just tried to revise the sort of questions theyd asked in previous papers. The grade i got for that was B!!! and i didnt spend ages on project. In the exam youll have questions on stuff not related to the project documentation... except about 7 (no more than 10) which ask you to refer to pages in your documentation. so really youre just spending months on a project just for like 7 marks.. **** that, just revise the questions from past papers. PURE PWNAGE!

ReputationRep:
    just go to the AQA website, look at the past papers and count the marks which ask you to refer to the documentation.

if you just knock up some "documentation" make up some simple diagrams, make up some equations that work out costs or whatever... its jsut so simple. i was just so pissed off at getting a U after spending so much time on the project.. so i thought there must be a way round it. and there was, so FU<K YOU AQA!! HAHA PWND U! 30 mins to knock up a few diagrams and got a B lmfao

oh and in class i did nothing! but the teacher didnt know that.. so he signed the piece of paper to say i did it... meh

ReputationRep:
    I did Tod's Tyres and did it using Delphi (which sucks). I got a lower mark than someone who used Access. If you do it in Excel you WILL get a crap mark. Access is fine though, although personally I think it is an easy copout not putting an real effort into it or learning anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedi Ezekiel)
    If you do it in Excel you WILL get a crap mark.
    FYI: The specification now explicitly states what you can use for your solution. Using a spreadsheet no longer fulfills the specification criteria, hence if you use MS Excel for Terry's Turkeys, you will be going against what the specification defines as acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    *shrug*

My statement is still true then isn't it. Do it in Excel and you will get a crap mark! I havn't even looked at the criteria, I did it last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedi Ezekiel)
    My statement is still true then isn't it. Do it in Excel and you will get a crap mark! I havn't even looked at the criteria, I did it last year.
    Your statement certainly does still hold true! =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supreme)
    But then again without out all of the documentation they can refuse to mark it!
    They cannot refuse to mark any work submitted. The problem is that most of the marks come from questions that talk about the documentation you produce.
    Here is a question I would expect to see on this years paper

You were told to use an order number on the bills. Give a page number where there is a reference to order number.

Other questions are likely to include, table/data descriptions. And evidence of testing done.

ReputationRep:
    I am also doing Terry's Turkeys and i am as good at it as Scholes is good as Tackleing! i have some older versions of Tods Tyres but i am still not getting any where with it. I have no idea on how to do VB, people have said you don't really need it so i will try it with out but i am just as useless with the basics of Access. Does any one know of any useful sites that could help me with my course work, like the different commands and lines of code etc...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99roddisd)
    Without VBA how are you going to match the requested turkey weight to the turkey list. i can't see it being to easy,

dave
    Matching can be done by Terry. He is part of the system too. I think VBA is needed to ensure that no more than 5 turkeys are on each order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeycheese)
    just go to the AQA website, look at the past papers and count the marks which ask you to refer to the documentation.

if you just knock up some "documentation" make up some simple diagrams, make up some equations that work out costs or whatever... its jsut so simple. i was just so pissed off at getting a U after spending so much time on the project.. so i thought there must be a way round it. and there was, so FU<K YOU AQA!! HAHA PWND U! 30 mins to knock up a few diagrams and got a B lmfao

oh and in class i did nothing! but the teacher didnt know that.. so he signed the piece of paper to say i did it... meh
    Yer problem comes from the follow-on marks on the paper. The markers can ignore the rest of a question if you don't get the first part which refers to your documentation. You skated on thin ice, Monkeycheese, you were lucky but it isn't a design for life. Better to have a realistic attempt at the bits likely to be asked about in the paper surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.D.M)
    You people all know exacly what you're doing. Im sarting Computing this year and I have no Idea, we were supposed to finish the project last week doing it in access. The most experience i've had with a computer is playing games. All this talk about programming has completely lost me!!!
    Look at the specification of the problem and identify the key points. These will be asked about in the exam. Throw something together in access that shows you tried to make something for each one of these points. You don't need programming for the basic project. Chill and have a go in Access

ReputationRep:
    Yer problem is that A customer could order FIVE turkeys

ReputationRep:
    I am doing AS AQA Computing, We just started the coursework, last week! We have to use Visual Basic.

The coursework looks so damn hard. I was even thinkig of quitting, I was told Computing Exam marking scheme is a joke, actually very hard to pass an exam. The reason I never dropped computing is I thought doing 3 subject is useless.

I need some tips

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.