A level Geo: the importance of fluxes in carbon cycle Watch

Frank Peters
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Explain the importance of fluxes to the carbon cycle. (6 MARKS)

- all i can think of is that it allows the movement of carbon into useful things such as fuel
- Fluxes allow equilibrium to be maintained

Is there any more? Could I put some information about what the fluxes include e.g. photosynthesis, decomposition.
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Frank Peters)

- all i can think of is that it allows the movement of carbon into useful things such as fuel

Is there any more? Could I put some information about what the fluxes include e.g. photosynthesis, decomposition.
Hi, I've moved your thread to Geography study help
georgejensen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Frank Peters)

if they did not exist, carbon would accumulate within rocks forever. Thus, this would deplete the amount of carbon entering the carbon cycle and have an adverse impact of life form within the cycle.
eullah
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
i'm doing the same question and i'm also struggling a bit- i have a few points but the underlying theme for all of them is the concept of equilibrium:
1. fluxes are important because they maintain equilibrium within the earth's atmosphere. increasingly unbalanced fluxes (from human activity) are accelerating/decelerating the fluxes that operate within the carbon cycle, which threatens/disrupts ecosystems.
2. the fluxes help to maintain temperatures on earth (i.e. through greenhouse gases contributing to the warming of the atmosphere, whilst sequestration and sedimentation stores carbon).
3. it combines with other elements to form fuel/energy for growth, for both terrestrial and oceanic species. Therefore, it sustains life and aids in the formation of carbon sinks and sources, which maintain equilibrium.

sorry this isn't much, but i hope it's of some use
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think I done a 15 marker on this.
Arédien
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I woud include that carbon is the most useful and versatile chemical on the planet and therefore it is essential to have fluxes to move it from store to store
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (52)
9.54%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.57%
No, but I want to start (197)
36.15%
No, I am unable to (126)
23.12%
No, I chose not to (156)
28.62%