sophiexjervis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Im looking at unis starting in 2018 and im confused about the modules.
It says for each year that you have compulsory and optional modules
What im unsure about is:
-how many optional modules you have to take
-do you have to take a set number of modules
-do you have to choose a selection of the optional modules or do you not have to take any?

if it helps im looking at History BA courses
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sophiexjervis)
Im looking at unis starting in 2018 and im confused about the modules.
It says for each year that you have compulsory and optional modules
What im unsure about is:
-how many optional modules you have to take
-do you have to take a set number of modules
-do you have to choose a selection of the optional modules or do you not have to take any?

if it helps im looking at History BA courses
The balance between compulsories and options will vary from uni to uni and year to year. The only 'fixed' thing is that you must take enough modules to reach a required number of 'credits' - usually 120 - with different modules being worth different numbers of credits. So at Manchester you take one compulsory 20-credit module in the first year, then choose other modules to a value of 100 credits - most are worth 20 credits but some are only 10.

Have you got any particular unis in mind?
sophiexjervis
Rep:
?
i have De Montfort (Leicester), University of Chester, University of Wolverhampton in mind
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i have De Montfort (Leicester), University of Chester, University of Wolverhampton in mind
I think the source of your confusion is that the De Montfort and Chester websites are completely useless at giving you the required information!

Wolverhampton is far better. If you look at http://courses.wlv.ac.uk/course.asp?code=HS001H31UVD it's pretty self-explanatory. For example, in Semester 1 (ie the first half) of Year one there are two compulsory courses and you choose a third from a list of 4. In Semester 2 you again have two compulsories and choose a third, this time from a list of 6.

DMU are more confusing, but look at http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/u...e-details.aspx. First year is 4 compulsories, no options. In second year, it says you take four 'year-long modules' or the equivalent, but some modules (it appears to be those marked with a *) are half-years. So you would have to take two of those to make up a 'year-long' module. In addition, there are 2 compulsories both of which are half-year modules. Therefore, you take those 2, plus the equivalent of three 'year-long' modules - you could therefore take three of these, or two 'year-long' modules and two 'half-year' modules (marked with a *). There is a similar structure in third year.

Chester are least informative. If you look at https://www1.chester.ac.uk/study/und...history/201809 there are 3 compulsory modules in year 1, but they don't tell you how many options you choose. It is similar in Year 2, but with 2 compulsories. In Year 3 the only compulsory is the dissertation, but again there is no info that I can see about how many options. Note, however, that al the options are 'paired' - eg the Norman Conquest and a related module on the historical sources of the Norman Conquest. I suggest you email to ask for more details.
sophiexjervis
Rep:
?
Yeah i was struggling to find any info on module options! thanks so much
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah i was struggling to find any info on module options! thanks so much
No problem. Come back to me if you need any more information or help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (265)
56.5%
I don't have everything I need (204)
43.5%

Watched Threads