The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

University age.

Hi, I am hoping to apply for university starting next year, however I will only be 16, nearly 17. Will this be possible? I am in the midst of studying my highers so I will have the grades.
No problem about applying to uni but think about life and your experience there if you will still be -18
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
some unis say you have to be 18 when you start the course so make sure you check on their websites
I personally wouldn’t go to University under the age of 18. A bit part of University is growing up and learning to be independent, you shouldn’t rush growing up. Also, another part of University is partying and drinking - it will be no fun if you’re underage because you’ll feel miserable that you can’t go
I've always thought you have to be 18, because when you're 17 you're still a child in the eyes of the law, therefore don't you need a legal guardian or something? However I've heard a lot of people saying it is possible. All the universities I considered you had to be 18 for I believe. My uni for example says you can't live in halls or enroll on a course if you're under 18. There's just a lot of legal stuff that makes it more complicated to accept a child into university.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Not sure what Unis you have considered, but I have not seen one myself that doesn't allow under 18s.

For legal reasons, the Uni must provide you your own single room. What is your Uni?

Sorry I don't want to say because my course is kinda small, identification and stuff like that. Maybe is was just my department at my uni who doesn't allow it.
Reply 6
Personally I know that I'm ready, whether that becollege or uni so I don't think that's an issue for me.
I've done both undergraduate and postgraduate at Stirling. When I was in first year at Stirling undergrad, plenty of people were 16/17 years old. One of my friend's flat-mates had left school in 5th year, and was 16 for most of first year. I work for Stirling Uni demonstrating and teaching during first year CompSci labs - many of those students are younger than 18, even still in November. There aren't restrictions on ages at Stirling Uni, to my knowledge. Certainly not for undergraduate.

I was 17 when I started. It's a pain being just slightly too young to go out, but there's more to uni than drinking. Certainly I wouldn't let that dissuade you from an application. Plus you end up with people throwing you one mega party when you finally do turn 18. So it's a trade-off... :tongue:

If you feel ready to take the next steps into further education, then I wouldn't let anyone persuade you or dissuade you. You'll know how you'll feel and whether it's right or wrong - it's totally subjective. Regulations, however, are not - and being 16 or 17 is demonstrably fine.

Original post by DrawTheLine
I've always thought you have to be 18, because when you're 17 you're still a child in the eyes of the law, therefore don't you need a legal guardian or something? However I've heard a lot of people saying it is possible. All the universities I considered you had to be 18 for I believe. My uni for example says you can't live in halls or enroll on a course if you're under 18. There's just a lot of legal stuff that makes it more complicated to accept a child into university.

Whilst it's true that legal adulthood is gained at age 18 (the UN specifies this as the age of adulthood under their Rights of a Child Convention), several laws in the UK contradict this somewhat. Moving out from home and into sole residency/occupancy can be done aged 16, as can marriage and engaging in sexual relationships. Hence most universities accept applicants aged 16 or over. Although, I'm sure at under 18, a guarantor has to be allocated for any rent payments for student accommodation etc. This isn't universal, but I find it unusual to find somewhere that won't accept an under-18.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest