The Student Room Group

Is A-LEVEL Physics really hard?

My physics teacher tells me that his son I am A* Student and he really struggles with it. Would it not be recommended to a C,B grade student?

Scroll to see replies

Grow a pair, heads down , get a book open and get cracking.

You will get nothing out of this if you don't try.
Reply 2
It's hard, but you just need to put in effort, attention and practice if you want to do well. Just like any other A-Level.
Original post by DeclanGCSEs
My physics teacher tells me that his son I am A* Student and he really struggles with it. Would it not be recommended to a C,B grade student?

It depends on your passion, motivation and willingness for the subject. I know some B, C, D and even E grade students who've had a complete turn around and improved substantially to Bs and As. But they only did this because of the work they put into it.
I've also seen other people who've had the same low grades earlier but maintained that same low level of dedication which just landed them more bad grades. A* for consistency in bad grades! U for actual physics!

It all boils down to you and if you think you can do it. Intelligence isn't genetic, its an attribute that gets better with hard work.
Physics teachers love to scare people off. Mine did it so much that only 8 people ended up taking it. It’s challenging but also really really rewarding and interesting, no matter what grade you’re working at.

The only point I'd see in you taking A level Phys is if you're thinking about the Degree.
I got a U in AS Physics, a C in A2 Phys
....and yet all I get at Lancaster is firsts lol.

I say this a lot, there is more 'Physics' in A level Further Maths than there is in A level Physics
All the stuff you need for Degree Physics (this goes for Engineering too) is Maths content/modules, specifically pure and mechanics... (I know reforms lol)
I've managed to cruise along with Mechanics 2 knowledge.

There is no stereotyping anymore that a phys student is antisocial because some of the most outgoing people have the highest grades in physics. Have fun memorising all the crappy experiments :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
I absolutely love physics. I'm gonna make sure I put the effort it, last year in my 3 sciences I got a CCC and a C overall and now I need to average that to be a BB. I just need to resit maths and hopefully get a B grade on the higher tier paper.
YES
I absolutely love physics. I'm gonna make sure I put the effort it, last year in my 3 sciences I got a CCC and a C overall and now I need to average that to be a BB. I just need to resit maths and hopefully get a B grade on the higher tier paper.

That's the spirit. Good luck with everything!
It is really stressful and difficult, but if you have the motivation to keep on working with it, it does get better. It depends on what your good at within physics.
Mate honestly don't pick it. I thought I loved the subject until I took it up at a-level and now I can't bare it. I don't hate it because I'm not good either I simply hate it because it is incredibly boring
3+:1 I'm gonna go with the majority
I will probably have to get a A in maths or take AS Maths along side.

It's hard but if you are passionate and driven enough you'll be fine
Looks like chinese tbh.
Lol
Nope, also you'll probably learn more if you do Maths. Honestly, when I did it the Physics a level was a bit crap.
I do Physics A Level, I got an A in it and I even I find it difficult. But Science A Levels are wrapped around the idea of persistence persistence persistence! I'm averaging As (ish!), because in order to succeed at A Levels like these you just need to sit down, open your book, and get cracking, nothing else to it.
Its hard imo ngl
Coming from only doing Core science and additional science at GCSE, A level physics can be very difficult. But as said multiple time. Just have to get on and do it. There are aspects of physics that i can't stand, like mechanics and further mechanics, as its just suvat and momentum constantly. I mean I've lost interest for the subject, it still fascinates me, but if it werent for me wanting to go Uni, i would've stopped by now. Just think what you want to do in the future, and if physics is needed. BTW would recommend maths A level to be done alongside physics, as i'm the only one not doing it in my class and alot of the maths gets brushed over since they already know it, meaning i have to go and do extra work outside of the lesson. Last thing, if you do edexcel, write up your core practicals straight away, it's a big mistake to not!

Quick Reply

Latest