Hard time choosing unis to apply to for an LLB

Watch
itsbritneybeach
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello! Well, I'm Greek and have completed a foundation course on law, and as a non English person im really clueless in regard to which unis and cities are a better fit. My college tutors and googling have helped me narrow my choices for an LLB down to Newcastle, Leeds, York and Salford. To be frank, I just want a well-established and well-connected university, and a city with high chances of employement since I need to work alongside my studies. Any suggestions, pointers and/or comments from personal experiences would be much appreciated!
itsbritneybeach
Rep:
?
Thank you so much! I will check Exeter and Manchester out, but as for Bristol it's probably out of reach for me.
flatlined
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by itsbritneybeach)
Hello! Well, I'm Greek and have completed a foundation course on law, and as a non English person im really clueless in regard to which unis and cities are a better fit. My college tutors and googling have helped me narrow my choices for an LLB down to Newcastle, Leeds, York and Salford. To be frank, I just want a well-established and well-connected university, and a city with high chances of employement since I need to work alongside my studies. Any suggestions, pointers and/or comments from personal experiences would be much appreciated!
The best universities for law re City employment prospects are usually: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, QMUL, Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Nottingham and Warwick. To which there are exceptions.

If you are thinking of qualifying as a lawyer in the UK, law degrees were never really more attractive than non law degrees to law firms, but it also looks like in the future (2020+), there will be no GDL/LPC, and therefore no law degree GDL exception. All students will be in a similar boat. As demand for law degrees is so high, I would recommend you apply for a subject with lower entry requirements if necessary so you can get into the best university possible (law firms do target certain universities, especially those listed above).

Economic History or IR at LSE will usually open up many more doors than Law at Manchester or KCL.
itsbritneybeach
Rep:
?
(Original post by flatlined)
The best universities for law re City employment prospects are usually: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, QMUL, Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Nottingham and Warwick. To which there are exceptions.

If you are thinking of qualifying as a lawyer in the UK, law degrees were never really more attractive than non law degrees to law firms, but it also looks like in the future (2020+), there will be no GDL/LPC, and therefore no law degree GDL exception. All students will be in a similar boat. As demand for law degrees is so high, I would recommend you apply for a subject with lower entry requirements if necessary so you can get into the best university possible (law firms do target certain universities, especially those listed above).

Economic History or IR at LSE will usually open up many more doors than Law at Manchester or KCL.
Thank you!! However, i'd much rather study law than another subject and then convert to law in a year.
GovernmentEarner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by flatlined)

The subtle KCL shots :awesome:
flatlined
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GovernmentEarner)
The subtle KCL shots :awesome:
Wasn't quite intentional! KCL is good. It's just that LSE opens a lot of doors across the city; bigger brand, better international weight, gold standard for anything finance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise