The Student Room Group

The A*A*A*A Dream!

I'm not one for fancy text and stuff, let's keep it nice and simple. Enough to motivate me :smile:

I'm taking:
Maths - Predicted A*
Further Maths - Predicted A
Computer Science - Predicted A*
Physics - Predicted A

Hoping to get this to A*A*A*A next year along with an EPQ at an A* grade.

GCSES: [They're disappointing since I didn't revise at all, motivated me to try at A-Level though!]
Maths - 8
English Language - 6 (ugh)
English Literature - 7
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
Geography - A
French - A (I did terribly on the speaking/writing but got max UMS on the reading and listening papers!)
Computer Science - A (I did shockingly on the second controlled assessment, no excuses I was just lazy and got an A... Should've easily been my best subject)

All my A-Levels are linear but I plan to finish the content for this year by January so I can focus on consolidating it all and starting on the second year work early.

University Not-So-Shortlist: [Roughly in order, use colours, green means decided for now, yellow means undecided]
University of Oxford - Computer Science (Not sure of the college yet, maybe Baliol?)
University of Cambridge - Computer Science (Trinity College, Jesus College, St. Catharines)
University of Bristol - Computer Science
University of Bath - Computer Science (My brother goes there, it seems so lovely there! Plus placement years)
University College London - Computer Science
Imperial College London - Computer Science
University of Warwick - Computer Science
University of St. Andrews - Computer Science
University of Manchester - Computer Science

My Schedule:
Dressed / School -> Chill -> Powernap -> Eat -> Homework -> Revise -> Research -> YouTube :P -> Bed
Pretty basic schedule, starts and 7AM and lasts till 12AM usually.

That's pretty much what's happening with my story so far!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

ohmygod how did you get a's without revising? that's a talent kwneend anyway good luck with your a-levels i'm sure you'll smash them!
'Didn't revise' Gets A's and A*s at GCSE.

You will be fine. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by entertainmyfaith
ohmygod how did you get a's without revising? that's a talent kwneend anyway good luck with your a-levels i'm sure you'll smash them!

My teachers were pleased, I got one of the highest in the year but honestly it wasn't my personal best and that's what matters in the end: achieving the best you're capable of. Regardless, thank you for the compliment it's much appreciated!

I hope so, TSR sets the standards so high with ridiculous people getting 5/6 A*s and those are my competition :eek: so I'm gonna have to push myself hard!
Reply 4
17/11/2017:
Today I was pretty lazy, didn't do much work in class but managed to complete a practical in Physics! Computer Science is always a doss for me (since I can already program better than my teachers :smile:, cheeky brag I know) so I just sat about and helped people create some pretty fun programs in Java that do some pretty weird stuff (we were making a Monster's Inc. themed program and got given a decent amount of creative freedom). Typhoid booster shot for when I go to India this winter, my arm's feeling bloody heavy though :s-smilie:. Just going to do some programming on a little game project that I'm working on and then go to bed after watching some videos.

Here's a little screenshot of the menu screen (the background is just a render of a random portion of the map, it selects a new portion every time the game loads):
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
18/11/2017:
Today was a Saturday, I was supposed to go out but I had an accident this morning and really couldn't be bothered after that. Spent all day programming and I'm planning to do some Physics / Further Maths work later this evening. Finished the inventory system in my game project, fleshed out the scripting utility classes and finished the basic entity system. Everything is just written to a flat-file for now for simplicity but that should be fine (just add some basic encryption to the save files with a cheeky shift/Caesar cipher). The game engine might just be released as a base for other programmers to make RPGs from, I could even use it in my Computer Science club that I'm running in school (more details above)!
Reply 6
17/01/2018:
I've been lazy, really lazy. Not much work over Christmas. I was on holiday and got ill so I completed Chapter 4 / 5 for my core Maths module and finished my statistics so now I'm starting mechanics. I'm pretty happy with that, but I'm still not content with my progress. I'm behind in Further Maths from where I'd like to be since we still don't have the textbook released and my Physics is lagging behind a bit. Computer Science I'm not worried about, my programming is fine and the content is a breeze too.

Today I taught Maths again to the Year 11 talented maths set which was nice. Pretty good day overall.
Reply 7
heya :hi:
your GCSE grades are pretty good despite 'not revising' :biggrin:
i'm assuming you're in year 12 (since you haven't decided on your unis)
good luck with your A-levels!! we share 3 subjects :hugs: (I take chem instead of compsci), which exam boards do you do?

ps. i don't think you can apply to both oxford and cambridge... they don't let you coz they're looking for the same kinds of people so you'll have to choose one or the other.. otherwise, i'd apply to both as well
Reply 8
Original post by nyxnko_
heya :hi:
your GCSE grades are pretty good despite 'not revising' :biggrin:
i'm assuming you're in year 12 (since you haven't decided on your unis)
good luck with your A-levels!! we share 3 subjects :hugs: (I take chem instead of compsci), which exam boards do you do?

ps. i don't think you can apply to both oxford and cambridge... they don't let you coz they're looking for the same kinds of people so you'll have to choose one or the other.. otherwise, i'd apply to both as well

Thanks! I do AQA for Maths and FM and OCR for CompSci and Physics. I know about the Oxbridge thing, still undecided on which to apply to though!
Original post by AmmarTa
I'm not one for fancy text and stuff, let's keep it nice and simple. Enough to motivate me :smile:

I'm taking:
Maths - Predicted A*
Further Maths - Predicted A
Computer Science - Predicted A*
Physics - Predicted A

Hoping to get this to A*A*A*A next year along with an EPQ at an A* grade.

GCSES: [They're disappointing since I didn't revise at all, motivated me to try at A-Level though!]
Maths - 8
English Language - 6 (ugh)
English Literature - 7
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
Geography - A
French - A (I did terribly on the speaking/writing but got max UMS on the reading and listening papers!)
Computer Science - A (I did shockingly on the second controlled assessment, no excuses I was just lazy and got an A... Should've easily been my best subject)

All my A-Levels are linear but I plan to finish the content for this year by January so I can focus on consolidating it all and starting on the second year work early.

University Not-So-Shortlist: [Roughly in order, use colours, green means decided for now, yellow means undecided]
University of Oxford - Computer Science (Not sure of the college yet, maybe Baliol?)
University of Cambridge - Computer Science (Trinity College, Jesus College, St. Catharines)
University of Bristol - Computer Science
University of Bath - Computer Science (My brother goes there, it seems so lovely there! Plus placement years)
University College London - Computer Science
Imperial College London - Computer Science
University of Warwick - Computer Science
University of St. Andrews - Computer Science
University of Manchester - Computer Science

My Schedule:
Dressed / School -> Chill -> Powernap -> Eat -> Homework -> Revise -> Research -> YouTube :P -> Bed
Pretty basic schedule, starts and 7AM and lasts till 12AM usually.

That's pretty much what's happening with my story so far!

omggggggggggg how are your gcse grades bad xx
Original post by AmmarTa
Thanks! I do AQA for Maths and FM and OCR for CompSci and Physics. I know about the Oxbridge thing, still undecided on which to apply to though!

aww.. we don't share exam boards but it's okay.. the topics are pretty similar :biggrin:
ah okay.. I was under the impression that you didn't realise that you could only apply to one and not both because they're both green on your OP :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by yes18
omggggggggggg how are your gcse grades bad xx

My family has high standards, but I mostly agree with them that I could've done better.
Original post by AmmarTa
My family has high standards, but I mostly agree with them that I could've done better.

honey puhleassseee thats like amazinG!!! you tell your family to calmd down haha
Reply 13
Original post by nyxnko_
aww.. we don't share exam boards but it's okay.. the topics are pretty similar :biggrin:
ah okay.. I was under the impression that you didn't realise that you could only apply to one and not both because they're both green on your OP :smile:

That's a fair assumption, I appreciate the gesture regardless :smile:
It's a shame we don't share exam boards though, there's very few people I know doing FM on AQA, Edexcel seems to be much more common.
Original post by AmmarTa
That's a fair assumption, I appreciate the gesture regardless :smile:
It's a shame we don't share exam boards though, there's very few people I know doing FM on AQA, Edexcel seems to be much more common.

:biggrin:
iirc there are some people here who take AQA but I can't remember who they are :tongue:
yeah.. I do Edexcel.. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by yes18
honey puhleassseee thats like amazinG!!! you tell your family to calmd down haha

Thank you! I feel like the push has helped drive me forwards though.
Original post by AmmarTa
Thank you! I feel like the push has helped drive me forwards though.

what do you want to be?

Spoiler

Reply 17
Original post by yes18
what do you want to be?

Spoiler

I don't think I could handle being a doctor, my family wants me to be but I'm much more inclined to the technology and finance sectors than the health sector.
Original post by AmmarTa
I don't think I could handle being a doctor, my family wants me to be but I'm much more inclined to the technology and finance sectors than the health sector.

BEST of luck!!!! xx
Reply 19
Original post by yes18
BEST of luck!!!! xx

Thank you very much, best of luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest