The Student Room Group

Is there a theme of power in Life of Pi?

I have to compare two novels which are Life of Pi and Animal Farm. I can easily find points to make about Animal Farm as I know the book well but I'm still reading Life of Pi and as of yet, I can't find much to discuss. I'm assuming that once I've finished the book, I'll have more points to make but I need to submit an opening paragraph for my coursework soon so I was wondering if anyone who has finished the book and can see ways in which power is demonstrated could point anything out to me to help get me started?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

ah, I'm new here so I'm still figuring things out, thank you for the help
Original post by ahirusaru
I have to compare two novels which are Life of Pi and Animal Farm. I can easily find points to make about Animal Farm as I know the book well but I'm still reading Life of Pi and as of yet, I can't find much to discuss. I'm assuming that once I've finished the book, I'll have more points to make but I need to submit an opening paragraph for my coursework soon so I was wondering if anyone who has finished the book and can see ways in which power is demonstrated could point anything out to me to help get me started?

Hello. :smile:

I love this book and the film is a visual masterpiece.

It's a story within a story, which only becomes clear when the main character is rescued.

The animals on the boat fight each other for survival. This manifests as animalistic power which Pi must rise above if he is to survive. Richard Parker is an aspect of Pi's own personality and one which he must master. the metaphor is setting boundaries and carefully establishing dominance over his patch (mentally as well as physically) of the boat.

Overarching this is the sea. Simultaneously majestic, unforgiving, ruthless and benevolent. Like a tyrannical ruler deciding the fate of his subjects at whim. The rulers domain has no boundary (beyond the horizon). It has the ultimate power of life and death.

Story telling gives Pi the power to survive, the power of faith is the common unity of the three religious themes (Hinduism, Christianity and Islam) brought together by love, compassion and charity.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by uberteknik
Hello. :smile:

I love this book and the film is a visual masterpiece.

It's a story within a story, which only becomes clear when the main character is rescued.

The animals on the boat fight each other for survival. This manifests as animalistic power which Pi must rise above if he is to survive. Richard Parker is an aspect of Pi's own personality and one which he must master. the metaphor is setting boundaries and carefully establishing dominance over his patch (mentally as well as physically) of the boat.

Overarching this is the sea. Simultaneously majestic, unforgiving, ruthless and benevolent. Like a tyrannical ruler deciding the fate of his subjects at whim. The rulers domain has no boundary (beyond the horizon). It has the ultimate power of life and death.

Story telling gives Pi the power to survive, the power of faith is the common unity of the three religious themes (Hinduism, Christianity and Islam) brought together by love, compassion and charity.

Thank you! I see exactly what you mean. :') I look forward to finishing this book as I am enjoying it so far. I was worried that I may have chosen two novels which do not fit together well but I think they will be fine based on your explanation. I was just struggling to find similarities as of yet.
Original post by ahirusaru
Thank you! I see exactly what you mean. :':wink: I look forward to finishing this book as I am enjoying it so far. I was worried that I may have chosen two novels which do not fit together well but I think they will be fine based on your explanation. I was just struggling to find similarities as of yet.

You are very welcome. :smile:

Quick Reply