Can I buy a decent desktop PC for about £500?

Watch
Cameron.P.94
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My PC needs replacing, can I get a new decent one for around £500? I'm willing to spend a little more if I have to. I'm starting to get into coding so it would need to be able to handle that, as well as not stalling or freezing when browsing the internet and downloading things. Monitor suggestions would be good as well, but I'd only want to spend £100 or less on one. Thank you.
SophieCLOUD
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Getting a secondhand one is an option, if you're okay with that. It generally is an expensive item, so it's really an issue of budgeting and quality of the product. Hope this helps somewhat!
Cameron.P.94
Rep:
?
(Original post by SophieCLOUD)
Getting a secondhand one is an option, if you're okay with that. It generally is an expensive item, so it's really an issue of budgeting and quality of the product. Hope this helps somewhat!
Thanks, I don't really want a second hand one as I want to ensure the quality of it being new and I don't want to drop £500+ on something that isn't new from factory settings.
SophieCLOUD
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cameron.P.94)
Thanks, I don't really want a second hand one as I want to ensure the quality of it being new and I don't want to drop £500+ on something that isn't new from factory settings.
Fair enough. Why not just google 'best budget PC' and see what pops up? The average prices aren't bad at all, so it could be in your best interest to something like that.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
My PC needs replacing, can I get a new decent one for around £500? I'm willing to spend a little more if I have to. I'm starting to get into coding so it would need to be able to handle that, as well as not stalling or freezing when browsing the internet and downloading things. Monitor suggestions would be good as well, but I'd only want to spend £100 or less on one. Thank you.
Second hand isnt a bad idea, but you have to know what you are buying.

That said you can build a reasonable pc for £500. This year there has been unprecedented change in the PC market as AMD have brought a competitive chip known as Ryzen that gives you much better value for money than Intel. Its forced Intel to bring out better value chips known as coffee lake which is 8th generation.

You can use PC partpicker to get an idea of what you can build for £500.

I would just point out a few things to get more for your money.

1. Timing of purchase will make a difference. Black Friday is coming up or even better early next year is when second generation of Ryzen is out plus some cheaper Intel motherboards. It should mean price cuts for current stock.

2. Scavenge what you can form any old systems such as case, keyboard, power supply etc to avoid purchase. If you want everything new, then thats fine, but its less money to buy the components that matter.

3.Decide if you want to game or not. the most expensive item is a graphics card. the other item that has got stupid expensive is RAM, which is c £140 for 16gb. You might want to stick to 8gb.

4. I was thinking of building your own, but you can try assembled as well. try hotuk deals and hexus forums for suggestions.

5. Pc partpicker will have plenty of builds.

6. You might also want to factor in a small ssd. Its just about finding the right balance of components which gives you the pc you want in budget.
asdfhgygfasdhjb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
get a laptop nibba
yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)

That said you can build a reasonable pc for £500. This year there has been unprecedented change in the PC market as AMD have brought a competitive chip known as Ryzen that gives you much better value for money than Intel. Its forced Intel to bring out better value chips known as coffee lake which is 8th generation.

1. Timing of purchase will make a difference. Black Friday is coming up or even better early next year is when second generation of Ryzen is out plus some cheaper Intel motherboards. It should mean price cuts for current stock.

2. Scavenge what you can form any old systems such as case, keyboard, power supply etc to avoid purchase. If you want everything new, then thats fine, but its less money to buy the components that matter.

3.Decide if you want to game or not. the most expensive item is a graphics card. the other item that has got stupid expensive is RAM, which is c £140 for 16gb. You might want to stick to 8gb.

4. I was thinking of building your own, but you can try assembled as well. try hotuk deals and hexus forums for suggestions.

6. You might also want to factor in a small ssd. Its just about finding the right balance of components which gives you the pc you want in budget.
Oh this really makes me want to build a new PC again, but then again mine still works fine for my needs.
pfdavina
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,I got a wonderful Dell laptop for just under 500 pounds including virus protection for 12 months. (1TB and 8GB) It is the Inspiron 5000 I think. I have had it for about 2 months and everything about it is perfect except it's battery life is no longer than 5 hours, so I just charge it when I use it... this can be a problem for some but not for me. Link attached below of the collection.http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/scc/s...ops?~ck=mnThis is the one I got(but in black):http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lapto...570-laptopHope I helped!
Cameron.P.94
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)

Thanks a lot. How hard would it be to build my own considering I don't have any knowledge of building computers? I'm very good at using computers and I know what all the components do but I've never built anything, the most I've physically done is put more RAM into a computer a few years ago.

How much do decent/good parts tend to down on Black Friday? I'm not really looking to game so I wouldn't need a super graphics card but I don't want a rubbish one either. I can use the PSU, keyboard and mouse from my current PC and I could take the RAM out it but I don't think it's that great quality so I'd probably need to buy new RAM.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Thanks a lot. How hard would it be to build my own considering I don't have any knowledge of building computers? I'm very good at using computers and I know what all the components do but I've never built anything, the most I've physically done is put more RAM into a computer a few years ago.

How much do decent/good parts tend to down on Black Friday? I'm not really looking to game so I wouldn't need a super graphics card but I don't want a rubbish one either. I can use the PSU, keyboard and mouse from my current PC and I could take the RAM out it but I don't think it's that great quality so I'd probably need to buy new RAM.
Very easy. Its just like Lego and even if you went very very slow, then you could do it in an afternoon. Its literally putting things in slots and a few connectors or screws. There are a zillion guides on the net and youtube.

If you look on pc part picker or you can ask on hexus.net or toms hardware forums

PC partpicker is designed to help you id the parts you need.

You need
1. CPU- look at reviews for AMD 1400 4/4, 1500x 4/8 and 1600 6/12 £130-£180 The 1600 more for heavy content creation all rounder.
or intel 7350k 4/4 or 8400 6/6 £160-£180. The 8400 best for gaming.
2. Motherboard About £75-£110 AMD About £120+ for Intel. Cheaper intel boards next year.
3. Ram DDR4 2x 4gb abut £80
4. HDD 1 TB ££35 or SSD 240gb £75.
5. Graphics card second hand or 750ti about £140- easy to upgrade- I would go 2nd hand.

Case, keyboard, psu, dvd drive(not always needed). Heatsink if not a standard one.

Things are moving quickly so the latest AMD chips are Ryzen, but there will be an upgrade in February. Slightly faster and more efficient.

Intel are on 6th generation look for the processor to beginning with an 8 like 8400. Intel has basic onboard graphics which will be ok for internet etc.

Read lots of reviews (part of the fun) and ask lots of questions.

You want a balanced machine in budget.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

https://forums.hexus.net/
152mmOfDerp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Something like this will be great for what you're doing (assuming you aren't gaming)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Yyhz2R

CPU: i3 8100 - Would've gone for Ryzen although as you aren't gaming, you won't need a separate GPU. If you do get into gaming in the future, you can always grab a GPU and stick it in.

Motherboard: One thing I'm not a big fan of with Intel is you have to use a Z370 motherboard. Z370 motherboards are more expensive as opposed to a more mainstream B350 motherboard as you can overclock CPU's on them. The 8100 isn't overclockable. Getting something overclockable would cost more as you'd have to get a more expensive CPU and get a separate cooler (the standard i3/i5/i7's come with their own cooler).

The motherboard is also Micro ATX which means it's smaller than standard ATX ones. This form factor allows you to fit the whole computer into a smaller case.

RAM: 1x8GB stick should be more than enough. You could easily get by on 4GB but everything moves forward quickly so if you can afford it, 8GB is a must. Running two sticks of RAM doesn't reap any huge benefits, having 1 stick makes upgrading easier in the future. You said that you might be able to use your current RAM but it should be noted it must be DDR4 or it won't be compatible with anything new.

SSD: An SSD speeds up a PC in general. It means when you click on something, you won't experience any waiting times as SSD's transfer data at speeds greater than a traditional HDD. Only store programs and the OS on this as nothing else will benefit from the extra speeds.

HDD: 2TB is probably the most cost effective way to get mass storage at this price.

CASE: A small case which is affordable. Cable management is pretty good according to the reviews as is quality. Nothing like some of those £100+ cases with lots of features but this one will do the job.

PSU: Unless you can find the exact model of your current PSU and it is less than 2 or 3 years old, grab a new one as the PSU is arguably the most important part. A bad PSU won't regulate voltages well which can damage your parts in the long run. the CXM 450 watt PSU is the cheapest I'd go when building a PC as it is very good quality and has an affordable price tag.
tehseen750
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi all,
I am going the purchase a loptop and have to select between two laptops. On has i5-7200U 2.5GHz and other has AMD Quad Core FX-9830P Processor. Could anyone help me for which one should I go.

Thanks
152mmOfDerp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tehseen750)
Hi all,
I am going the purchase a loptop and have to select between two laptops. On has i5-7200U 2.5GHz and other has AMD Quad Core FX-9830P Processor. Could anyone help me for which one should I go.

Thanks
The i5 7200U, despite its lower clockspeed, is significantly faster than that FX processor due to its IPC.
larryboy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not worth having a desk imo. Cant really see the point and yes you can get a good one for much less.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (3)
23.08%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (4)
30.77%
I have already dropped out (0)
0%
I'm not a current university student (6)
46.15%

Watched Threads