The Student Room Group

Driving test- tips/advice?

I have my driving test in a few weeks and I’m very nervous. Does anybody have any tips from experience? Like little things that a lot of people slip up on? Or just any general advice? Thanks!!
Don't book the test for rush hours, especially the school rush hour. It's a ****ing free for all. Everyone driving like GTA to pick up their cuck children.
Drive slowly. I really can't stress this enough - I passed first time two weeks ago with 4 minors, and I made sure I took my time over everything, especially the manoeuvre. Obviously don't go 20 on a 40 road, or anything like that, but making sure your speed is very controllable is key.
I'm nervous about mine as well its next Friday on 24th and that's black Friday sale so I'm worried it'll be busy and rushed on the roads
Reply 4
Original post by abbiedwson
I have my driving test in a few weeks and I’m very nervous. Does anybody have any tips from experience? Like little things that a lot of people slip up on? Or just any general advice? Thanks!!

my friend failed because he didnt stop during them meeting situations, where he was supposed to hold back and let the other car drive past as the obstacle (parked car) was on his side..
so yeah, hold back if the obstacle's on your side.

check the blind spots everytime you fully stop and about to move off.
and the mirrors everytime you turn a road/overtake
when checking, move your entire head so the instructor knows very well you just done it lmao
I’d advice not to rush things, try and stay calm ( it’s much easier said then done!) As others have said, check you blind spots and make sure you brake in plenty in of time before roundabouts/ traffic lights. Also, stay hydrated to help with concentration/alertness. Make sure you’ve gone over the answers they ask beforehand as they can be easy slip ups. I think the most important thing is to stay calm and not rush. If you’re unsure of which turning or exit the driving instructor said, there’s no harm in asking again and even if you do take the wrong exit/turn, as long as you’ve done it safely, you shouldn’t be penalised

Good Luck!
1. Stay calm. If your instructor didn't think you would pass, you wouldn't be doing your test. I took calming remedies beforehand just to ease my nerves as I have incredibly bad anxiety.
2. Observations. I failed first time because I forgot to check my blind spot at one point when doing my manoeuvre. Ensure you check all your mirrors and your blind spot when appropriate. Check your mirrors consistently throughout the test, just to show you're aware of your surroundings.
3. Slowly. Don't rush, take your time.Just breathe and focus on driving to the best of your ability.
4. If the examiner tries to talk to you throughout, and it's distracting you, don't feel you have to continue talking to them. This is why I failed at first as I was too distracted. My second test, my examiner said he would only hold a conversation if I wanted to, and I managed to pass with only two minors as I wasn't distracted.
5. You've got this!

Good luck :h:
Original post by Mal99
my friend failed because he didnt stop during them meeting situations, where he was supposed to hold back and let the other car drive past as the obstacle (parked car) was on his side..
so yeah, hold back if the obstacle's on your side.

check the blind spots everytime you fully stop and about to move off.
and the mirrors everytime you turn a road/overtake
when checking, move your entire head so the instructor knows very well you just done it lmao

Meeting situations are ********. They failed me twice on meeting situations. First time because I was supposedly meant to stop but I passed the obstacle with ease and neither me nor the oncoming van had to slow down. Second time because I stopped though the obstruction was both sides. Think they just use that excuse to fail people.

The examiners are very cuck people. Didn't even come close to dangerous driving.

The test I passed I drove my worst of all, but the examiner didn't hate me that time. I think the first two disliked me because I didn't want to talk to them and the ride was awkward. Of course I tried to entertain their conversation but it wasn't comfortable. I wish people would leave me (mostly) alone until I'm in a socializing mood, which is roughly once or twice a week. Maybe a "hey how many sets do you have left" here and there to tide me over.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by abbiedwson

Hey there!

This thread should be in the Learning to drive forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:

I'd say it's nerves which get most people. The trick is to keep nerves to a minimum, and you should be fine! The driving examiner is looking for safe driving, not exceptionally impressive driving.
Get on first name terms with your mirrors. you're going to be spending a lot of time with them.
Observe like your life depends on it. Whatever manouevre you get, observe. Every few seconds check all your blind spots and everywhere. Otherwise you'll fail for being dangerous.

Keep an eye on your speed. I travelled about 2-3mph under the speed limit.

Don't worry if your gear change is not as smooth as you wanted it to be. That's only concerning if it's really rough and jumpy.

If you stall, don't automatically think you'll fail. Stalling in a place that isn't dangerous (like on a quiet road) won't necessarily mean a fail.

Ignore other drivers if they're getting too close to you or speeding or just being goofs. If they beep their horn at you for being too slow (normally means driving the speed limit) just ignore them. Follow the rules of the road.
This is a late reply! The main tips I have for doing your test are: 1. Remain calm. It is nerve-wracking and the only reason is the fact that you don’t know what will happen. Every scenario you are faced with in the test will have been covered by the instructor, so you do know how to do it! If you remain calm, and think of the positives you will start off well. 2. Take your time. One of the things that examiners will dislike is someone who tries to drive like a fully licensed person. All they want to see if safety and control! 3. Be aware of all signs, anticipate. One thing that is easy to miss is a speed sign, if you speed you will fail. As long as you are aware and scanning for signs, then not a lot can go wrong. Signs will also direct you, or make you aware of any hazards so use them and prepare well! 4. Be friendly. This sounds silly but build a good vibe with the examiner. Don’t get into the car and be silent. They are humans, they will chat away and are more than happy to talk. This will relax you more. 5. Roundabouts! If you are in the wrong lane, or do not understand the road markings, stick to your lane and take the wrong exit if needs be. This is not a fault as long as you are being safe. People try to change things whilst on the roundabout which end up causing more issues.
6. OBSERVE. Check your blind spots when moving off from a parked spot or when completing a manoeuvre, and be sure to check your mirrors thoroughly when switching lanes, pulling off or when in any tight situations. If you don’t, the examiner could fail you.
I completed my test about 4 days ago, and honestly it is not a bad experience. Enjoy it, be yourself, drive safely, and you will pass.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TikkaMoSalah
This is a late reply! The main tips I have for doing your test are: 1. Remain calm. It is nerve-wracking and the only reason is the fact that you don’t know what will happen. Every scenario you are faced with in the test will have been covered by the instructor, so you do know how to do it! If you remain calm, and think of the positives you will start off well. 2. Take your time. One of the things that examiners will dislike is someone who tries to drive like a fully licensed person. All they want to see if safety and control! 3. Be aware of all signs, anticipate. One thing that is easy to miss is a speed sign, if you speed you will fail. As long as you are aware and scanning for signs, then not a lot can go wrong. Signs will also direct you, or make you aware of any hazards so use them and prepare well! 4. Be friendly. This sounds silly but build a good vibe with the examiner. Don’t get into the car and be silent. They are humans, they will chat away and are more than happy to talk. This will relax you more. 5. Roundabouts! If you are in the wrong lane, or do not understand the road markings, stick to your lane and take the wrong exit if needs be. This is not a fault as long as you are being safe. People try to change things whilst on the roundabout which end up causing more issues.
6. OBSERVE. Check your blind spots when moving off from a parked spot or when completing a manoeuvre, and be sure to check your mirrors thoroughly when switching lanes, pulling off or when in any tight situations. If you don’t, the examiner could fail you.
I completed my test about 4 days ago, and honestly it is not a bad experience. Enjoy it, be yourself, drive safely, and you will pass.

4 years late...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending