The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam selection day Radiotherapy

Hi,

This is my first selection day/interview on the 2nd December.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for what they're looking for and the types of questions they will ask?

I want to be as prepared as possible - without sounding scripted! Any ideas on this other than reading my statement, course content and around the subject?

Thanks a lot! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
Have you been to a Radiotherapy Department? The big thing is to make sure you really understand the role of a Therapeutic Radiographer. What the role is and the important skills and attributes required. Use the correct terminologies. What types of equipment will you be using? How does Radiotherapy work? You also want to be able to clearly display why you'd be good in this role.
This website will help.

https://sites.google.com/view/radiotherapyshu/prospective-students?authuser=0
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by Cat2289
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for what they're looking for and the types of questions they will ask?

I want to be as prepared as possible - without sounding scripted! Any ideas on this other than reading my statement, course content and around the subject?

Hi @Cat2289,

I will see if I can get in touch with one of our current Radiotherapy students that can share their advice for you. :smile:

In the meantime, you can take a look at our selection event guidance pages for that course, you did not specify so I'll provide both routes. BSc and MSc. Also, one of the lecturers has share a page where it goes into detail about the career route of Radiotherapy. I think that this would be a good read to help you get an idea so you can get prepared before the day! :biggrin:

Reanne
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @Cat2289,

I will see if I can get in touch with one of our current Radiotherapy students that can share their advice for you. :smile:

In the meantime, you can take a look at our selection event guidance pages for that course, you did not specify so I'll provide both routes. BSc and MSc. Also, one of the lecturers has share a page where it goes into detail about the career route of Radiotherapy. I think that this would be a good read to help you get an idea so you can get prepared before the day! :biggrin:

Reanne

Thank you so much, I will have a read of the information! I'm doing BSc so this is all new to me :P

If a student could get in touch, that would be very helpful thank you :smile:
Original post by Cat2289
Thank you so much, I will have a read of the information! I'm doing BSc so this is all new to me :P

If a student could get in touch, that would be very helpful thank you :smile:

Hi @Cat2289

I got in touch with a student called Angie with her advice for the selection event:

"As with any NHS course, they want to know what you are like as a person. So my main advice would be to look at the entry requirements for the course - not just academic but personal qualities and skills required (this is on the main course page), and think about how you fit this. You'll likely have some sort of work experience that you've done - at interview they want to know what you got out of this and how it made you fit for this course, rather than just a list of what you've done. They want to see that you are a caring person, and that you can also understand the patient's perspective. Show that you have a desire to do radiotherapy as a career, thinking beyond just this course. Our prospective students website is very useful.

Angie"

Let me know if you have any more questions for Angie!

Reanne :h:
Reply 5
Hi @Cat2289

I got in touch with a student called Angie with her advice for the selection event:

"As with any NHS course, they want to know what you are like as a person. So my main advice would be to look at the entry requirements for the course - not just academic but personal qualities and skills required (this is on the main course page), and think about how you fit this. You'll likely have some sort of work experience that you've done - at interview they want to know what you got out of this and how it made you fit for this course, rather than just a list of what you've done. They want to see that you are a caring person, and that you can also understand the patient's perspective. Show that you have a desire to do radiotherapy as a career, thinking beyond just this course. Our prospective students website is very useful.

Angie"

Let me know if you have any more questions for Angie!

Reanne :h:

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the help, ill definitely use that site too.

I was wondering if you had any information on the group interview?

Thanks!
Original post by Cat2289
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the help, ill definitely use that site too.

I was wondering if you had any information on the group interview?

Thanks!

Hi @Cat2289

I spoke to the one of lecturers of the course and they told me that the group interview is so that they can measure the communication and the team work within the group. :h:

Reanne
Original post by Cat2289
Hi,

Hey,

Although I haven't studied radiotherapy, I've been a student at Sheffield Hallam for three years now, so if you do have any questions about the uni or the city beyond the selection day, feel free to let me know. :smile:

Best of luck with your interview!!!
Reply 8
Hi @Cat2289

I spoke to the one of lecturers of the course and they told me that the group interview is so that they can measure the communication and the team work within the group. :h:

Reanne

Thanks for this, I'll try my best to get chatting on the day. :smile: not long now!
Reply 9
Original post by SHUGURU
Hey,

Although I haven't studied radiotherapy, I've been a student at Sheffield Hallam for three years now, so if you do have any questions about the uni or the city beyond the selection day, feel free to let me know. :smile:

Best of luck with your interview!!!

I'm so grateful for the help, thank you!

What's your favourite things about the city itself? I know Sheffield is very nice and the uni has a good reputation I just couldn't get up there on the open day :frown:

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Cat2289

What's your favourite things about the city itself? I know Sheffield is very nice and the uni has a good reputation I just couldn't get up there on the open day :frown:

Honestly, I just think Sheffield is really unique! My main reason for coming here, before even seeing the uni itself, was because of Sheffield.

As well as having lots of high street shops (and Meadowhall shopping centre), there are so many independent places in the city, from vintage clothes shops, arty shops, independent bars and cafes that offer really nice food or unique experiences, and the clubs here are really diverse for nights out which means that everybody stays happy - I feel like you can never get bored!

I think my favourite thing, though, is living in a city that isn't just about the shops and the buildings and the concrete - Sheffield has loads of green spaces within it from gardens to parks to woodlands, and the Peak District is about 20 minutes away which is great if you love being outdoors or just having a space to relax and get away from the normal "city" vibe. It's also great for anyone who likes music, as there are lots of smaller and some bigger venues for live music and so many people in the city have a love for it. It can also be relatively cheap to live here!

It's a shame you couldn't get here for the open day. Was there anything in particular you wanted to find out by coming, or was it more to see for yourself?

No problem - let me know if you have more questions. :biggrin:
Original post by Cat2289

hi how did you get on at your Radiotherapy interview? Ive just sent off my UCAS and have applied there. thanks
Reply 12
Original post by jessanna315
hi how did you get on at your Radiotherapy interview? Ive just sent off my UCAS and have applied there. thanks

Hello, I got an offer from Sheffield :smile:
It was a really great uni, the facilities and lecturers were really nice.

The group interview was a task, more like an icebreaker where you work together to do something. Mine was building a bridge from one table to another. My advice is just to speak but also to listen and make everyone be heard.

The individual interview was more like a chat, finding out about what you're like and why you want to do it rather than scientific questions. It's nothing to worry about.

It's overall very relaxed and I actually enjoyed it. Good luck! :smile:
Oh wow congratulations!! Yes I loved it on the open day they were so nice. is Sheffield your first choice? Have you applied anywhere else? Thanks for explaining about the interview process that’s a great help. What experience do you have if you don’t mind me asking? And where did you do your clinical visit? I’m going to Weston park next Thursday xx
Reply 14
Oh wow congratulations!! Yes I loved it on the open day they were so nice. is Sheffield your first choice? Have you applied anywhere else? Thanks for explaining about the interview process that’s a great help. What experience do you have if you don’t mind me asking? And where did you do your clinical visit? I’m going to Weston park next Thursday xx

Hi, thank You! It was my first interview and it went really well because everyone was so nice. I have a lot of work experience, mainly because I didn't know what I wanted to do, it was all healthcare related though. The main thing I did was hospital volunteering (not a cancer centre) In a paedetatric unit which they seemed to really like.

I also have a job in a shop which gave me the experience needed for the teamwork questions.

I did my day in clatterbridge cancer centre, they are also very interested in your visit :smile: I'm sure you'll have a great visit.

I've applied for Liverpool and Birmingham too, how about you? Xx
Yes I’ve applied to Birmingham and Liverpool too. Can’t apply anywhere else as too far away!

That’s impressive experience. Have you heard from your other choices? x
Reply 16
Yes I’ve applied to Birmingham and Liverpool too. Can’t apply anywhere else as too far away!

That’s impressive experience. Have you heard from your other choices? x

Yes, I got all offers. I was so shocked! I love Liverpool, It's my hometown but sheffield is a great second choice for me because the area is so pretty.

Good luck with yours! Message me if you need any more help, I'll be happy to help and I'll probably see you in September! :smile:
Original post by Cat2289
Yes, I got all offers. I was so shocked! I love Liverpool, It's my hometown but sheffield is a great second choice for me because the area is so pretty.

Good luck with yours! Message me if you need any more help, I'll be happy to help and I'll probably see you in September! :smile:

That’s amazing!! What were the interviews at Liverpool and Birmingham like?

I’ll let you know if I get any interview invites thank you x
Reply 18
That’s amazing!! What were the interviews at Liverpool and Birmingham like?

I’ll let you know if I get any interview invites thank you x

Thank you haha :smile: Liverpool was very relaxed too, I really enjoyed that one. The talk was very good and the facilities were amazing.

Birmingham was much more formal, but nothing too extreme - they're all looking at what you're like!

Both were full days from 10:30 until 4pm, with talks/breaks in between.

I hope this helps!!
Original post by Cat2289
Thank you haha :smile: Liverpool was very relaxed too, I really enjoyed that one. The talk was very good and the facilities were amazing.

Birmingham was much more formal, but nothing too extreme - they're all looking at what you're like!

Both were full days from 10:30 until 4pm, with talks/breaks in between.

I hope this helps!!

Thank you that’s a great help. Not sure Liverpool will consider me as I’m under their physics credits but I’ve applied anyway as I’m classed as a mature student.

Was the Sheffield one a similar time? x

Quick Reply