Original post by will'o'wisp2
but it doesn't tho

not done your research then
Reply 43
Original post by will'o'wisp2
but it doesn't tho

Median pay for male economics grads after 5 years: £37,600
Median pay for female economics grads after 5 years: £34,600

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/graduate-outcomes-for-all-subjects-by-university
Original post by Doonesbury

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/graduate-outcomes-for-all-subjects-by-university

Comparative statistics like this alone are useless without looking at a range of causes. University grades, the workplaces men and women apply for, to an extent university attended (e.g. econ @ LSE) & prior experience. As well as qualitative measures such as job interviews, cover letters etc.

If, and only if, men and women all apply for the exact same paid jobs with the exact same qualifications and men get the job the majority of the time, it would be unequal. But this doesn't happen, there is no wage gap worth noting.
Original post by GovernmentEarner
Comparative statistics like this alone are useless without looking at a range of causes. University grades, the workplaces men and women apply for, to an extent university attended (e.g. econ @ LSE) & prior experience. As well as qualitative measures such as job interviews, cover letters etc.

If, and only if, men and women all apply for the exact same paid jobs with the exact same qualifications and men get the job the majority of the time, it would be unequal. But this doesn't happen, there is no wage gap worth noting.

You mean like in this study (and every single other similar study?)
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/research/research-intelligence-gender-bias-hides-even-in-open-minds/421746.article

It doesn't let me access that article so I can't comment.
Reply 47
It doesn't let me access that article so I can't comment.

Create a login, it's free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
This was actually really interesting 😁
not surprising.. It should be a poster put up in every sixth-form class...

Not to deter people from taking arty/creative courses, but to let them know the risk.

In our society to be a creative individuals (including inventors/entrepreneurs) is a gamble, you tend to either end up at the bottom (the vast majority) or at the very very top (a small minority)

The other more stable degrees are far safer and you know that with a bit of hard work and persistence you will get to a decent level in life. After that its a gamble, but to get to the base level is pretty easy... and the base level is fine for most people.

To go into the arts though you need to understand that 95%+ chance is your going to fail, and end up in a much worse position then those who chose more piratical degrees.. Fine go for it, if its what you love - i did - but be realistic about the outcomes.
Reply 50

Median pay for male LSE economics grads after 5 years: £60,100
Median pay for female LSE economics grads after 5 years: £51,500

I imagine the prior experience, A-levels, etc will be very similar for the same cohort from the same university on the same course...
Median pay for male LSE economics grads after 5 years: £60,100
Median pay for female LSE economics grads after 5 years: £51,500

I imagine the prior experience, A-levels, etc will be very similar for the same cohort from the same university on the same course...

But we don't know the jobs they applied for/got rejected from. Clearly there IS a wage gap, but there are some fair reasons for it.
Original post by fallen_acorns
not surprising.. It should be a poster put up in every sixth-form class...

Not to deter people from taking arty/creative courses, but to let them know the risk.

In our society to be a creative individuals (including inventors/entrepreneurs) is a gamble, you tend to either end up at the bottom (the vast majority) or at the very very top (a small minority)

The other more stable degrees are far safer and you know that with a bit of hard work and persistence you will get to a decent level in life. After that its a gamble, but to get to the base level is pretty easy... and the base level is fine for most people.

To go into the arts though you need to understand that 95%+ chance is your going to fail, and end up in a much worse position then those who chose more piratical degrees.. Fine go for it, if its what you love - i did - but be realistic about the outcomes.

The study and charts specifically exclude earnings from self employment/freelancing. So it’s not representative of earnings from creative industries where salaried positions are rare.
With all being equal what affects your earnings more. You're degree or university?
Original post by Skyewoods
With all being equal what affects your earnings more. You're degree or university?

You have far more impact than either.
Original post by PQ
You have far more impact than either.

That
Original post by angelike1
not done your research then

i can't research something which doesn't exist, there is no gap, you can't show a graph that which tells me absolutely nothing about specifics and then you say well in the same job women get paid less, the graph doesn't even support that, it's useless and holds 0 meaning towards your arugment which is a muth anyway

but that's just generalised tho, if you want to show me some better statistics which tell me very specifically that in the same job men and women get paid less then sure i'll fight it together with you, so far all i've seen are people claiming a gap then showing me a graph which tells me average earning between men and women which tells me nothing about the claim these "feminists" make about the gap.

great times
Original post by PQ
The study and charts specifically exclude earnings from self employment/freelancing. So it’s not representative of earnings from creative industries where salaried positions are rare.

I'm not entirely sure that it would change significantly with the inclusion of sel-employed earnings.

I can only speak from my own experience as a graduate of the arts, but for each successful self-employed creative I know, there are more who are scrapping by, barely earning the minimum they earn to survive. (most of whom either have other part time work, or rely on mum and dad to top up their passions)
Original post by hannxm
I've seen psychologist jobs start on £35-45k and as you progress, likely when you're closer to retirement age and become the head of the psychology department, say in a hospital, you can earn £80-100K.

which is why it's confused me so much that psychology is so low on the list? and philosophy is higher than psychology...smh
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
which is why it's confused me so much that psychology is so low on the list? and philosophy is higher than psychology...smh

Have you looked at what qualifications are required for those jobs. They’re generally not “just” a psychology degree.

Most psychology graduates go on to work in HR or market research (or generic graduate jobs) or take additional training in teaching or counselling. Some of that additional training would still be going on 5 years after graduation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending