dalivanpicasso
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I will be applying to LSE through UCAS and there are two courses that I wanna apply for which are Social policy&Economics and Economics but I don't know which one will be a better choice. Since Im quite keen about Macroeconomics and policies Social policy&Economics looks more relevant but if its more competitive I will rather apply for Economics.. So my questions are which course is more relatively competitive and does LSE not like international students?..

These are my PG and IGCSE grades.
IB Predicted grades: 45/45
IGCSE: A* A A A C(lol)
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Last year LSE accepted ~8.8% of Economics applicants, and 5.8% of Social Policy and Economics applicants. However the latter course had considerably lower entry criteria (AAB with A in Maths, compared to A*AA with A in Maths for Economics) and takes on very few students (7 last year in total, out of 121 applicants). It's quite possible a number of applications to this joint honours course were made by students primarily interested in economics who wanted to "game" the system to get into an economics course at LSE with lower grades, thus resulting in a lower success rate.

If you are seriously interested in Social Policy, that is clearly the better option to serve your interests. It's worth noting though, social policy is not the same as economic policy, and there is a great deal of macroeconomics and economic policy options available in the core Economics programme. A personal statement primarily discussing economic policy for the joint honours course will probably be frowned upon if it isn't explicitly linked to social policy issues as they arise in economic policy contexts.

However, you normally take two courses outside the main discipline in the core economics course (one in each years one and two, and in exceptional circumstances with the agreement of the relevant staff, a further one in third year) in any case, so if you could cultivate some background in social policy on this programme as well as the traditional economic policy and theory options. You can also take Public Economics, a core course on the joint honours degree, in the single honours Economics course as well as the above external options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (850)
42.54%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.55%

Watched Threads