The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

What are the Music modules like at St. Andrews ??

So I've decided to apply for Scottish universities because I understand that you can take extra modules in addition to your core subject. Does anyone have any experience with the music modules at St Andrews (how good are they/are there many performance or recital opportunities) ? Psychology fascinates me more than anything else but I really enjoy performing and have worked very hard to get Grade 8 and Diploma flute so it would be a strange feeling to stop performing/practicing completely!

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by Gwenog_quidditch
So I've decided to apply for Scottish universities because I understand that you can take extra modules in addition to your core subject. Does anyone have any experience with the music modules at St Andrews (how good are they/are there many performance or recital opportunities) ? Psychology fascinates me more than anything else but I really enjoy performing and have worked very hard to get Grade 8 and Diploma flute so it would be a strange feeling to stop performing/practicing completely!

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Hiya! I've applied to St Andrews, and if I get in and choose St Andrews in the end, I'm considering doing some music modules alongside a maths degree. I was wondering if you ended up going to St Andrews and if so, how you find the music modules? I'd love to hear more about it because I can't find anymore information on it apart from the one page on the website!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/music/study/musicaspartofyourdegree/

Here's a list of modules, clicking on each one will bring up a page wherein if you look on the right side there will be a link to view the module guidebook for the class.

I haven't taken any music classes, and as I'm moving into my final sub-honours semester I don't intend to. Therefore, I can't comment on how good they are or anything, but one of my friends really enjoyed the Understanding Music class and one of my other friends does singing lessons in the music centre and seems to be enjoying them so it's probably no worse or better than any of the other classes on offer.
Original post by JM_1998
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/music/study/musicaspartofyourdegree/

Here's a list of modules, clicking on each one will bring up a page wherein if you look on the right side there will be a link to view the module guidebook for the class.

I haven't taken any music classes, and as I'm moving into my final sub-honours semester I don't intend to. Therefore, I can't comment on how good they are or anything, but one of my friends really enjoyed the Understanding Music class and one of my other friends does singing lessons in the music centre and seems to be enjoying them so it's probably no worse or better than any of the other classes on offer.

Thanks that was very helpful! I saw the modules I could take on the page but I didn't know how good the teaching was, so this was very reassuring. I think I'm most interested in the Understanding Music and Making Music modules - we'll see if I actually get an offer first! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending