What sort of student in their right mind would shop at Waitrose?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My flatmate baffles me. She buys the majority of her food shop from Waitrose and sometimes a bit of Sainsburys (which is also pricey in my opinion). We have an Aldi nearby and a few Tescos so I don't get why she gets it all from expensive supermarkets. Is there really that much difference in quality?
She also regularly orders takeaways, buys lots of stuff online and even buys Cushelle loo roll. I know some people are in different financial situations but surely this is excessive and anyone would naturally want to save money where they can even when you are very middle class.
Or am I just being a scrooge here
RachelPantrey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some people like to splash the cash if they can and this seems to be the case
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't know tbh. It's not like Aldi has rubbish quality or whatever . Waitrose and M&S are way too pricey.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Emerald777O)
I don't know tbh. It's not like Aldi has rubbish quality or whatever . Waitrose and M&S are way too pricey.
Oh yeah she also shops at M&S too which is next level
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because Waitrose sells positively superlative food.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My flatmate baffles me. She buys the majority of her food shop from Waitrose and sometimes a bit of Sainsburys (which is also pricey in my opinion). We have an Aldi nearby and a few Tescos so I don't get why she gets it all from expensive supermarkets. Is there really that much difference in quality?
She also regularly orders takeaways, buys lots of stuff online and even buys Cushelle loo roll. I know some people are in different financial situations but surely this is excessive and anyone would naturally want to save money where they can even when you are very middle class.
Some people prefer quality and are prepared to pay the price premium? If your flatmate is budgeting for it effectively, what's the problem?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you get a free coffee & newspaper at Waitrose :adore:
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh yeah she also shops at M&S too which is next level
And like John Lewis! I mean they can afford it then cool
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maybe she's used to shopping at waitrose when she's at home so she wanted to stick with her chosen market at uni to retain some sense of familiarity
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When one shop's at Waitrose, one avoids the riff raff:

:ahee: :arsenal: :beer: :blow: :borat:
:broken: :bumps: :couchpotato: :danceboy: :elmo:
:gangster: :gangster: :gangster: :headbang::hippie:
:jerry: :jester: :lockstock: :mario: :ninja2:
:party2: :pimp: :poo: :stink::zorro:
G-Sci
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All the time she's spending her own money and yours isn't affected, leave her to it! Some people don't have to worry about money, perhaps it's what she's used to at home, maybe she has preferences? Really and truly, it doesn't really matter. It's her money and her decision.
kkboyk
Report 3 years ago
She's spending that much probably because she can afford it (most who can afford to do this have a part time job, large amount of money in their savings), or can ask mummy and daddy for more money. From my own experiences, these people tend to fall in either of those categories.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
She's spending that much probably because she can afford it (most who can afford to do this have a part time job, large amount of money in their savings), or can ask mummy and daddy for more money. From my own experiences, these people tend to fall in either of those categories.
Or good scholarships. It is how I paid for my Deliveroo, M&S and Waitrose addictions. The logic is: why pay £2 in Tesco for something which might be nice when you can pay £4 in M&S for something that will definitely be nice.

By the way, OP, Sainsbury's is not that expensive.
kkboyk
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
Or good scholarships. It is how I paid for my Deliveroo, M&S and Waitrose addictions. The logic is: why pay £2 in Tesco for something which might be nice when you can pay £4 in M&S for something that will definitely be nice.

By the way, OP, Sainsbury's is not that expensive.
Or that tbh. Entirely dependant on their background.

Btw OP, Sainsbury's is exactly the same price as Tesco, and the same quality.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
even buys Cushelle loo roll
Cushelle loo roll? My goodness, is she also carried to class on a litter?

OP people buy more expensive things because they can afford to, students as much as anyone else. I realise that a lot of students are on a tight budget but some aren't particularly, and while they should avoid rubbing really extravagant habits in everyone else's faces they're not under an obligation to cut costs just because others have to.
Shaanv
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
U better believe that im buying cushelle when i go uni, u cant cut costs on loo roll😂
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
you get a free coffee & newspaper at Waitrose :adore:
Those lower middle class hooligans dont let you have the coffee whilst shopping now though! You have to wait until you have done your shop!
clearasilly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I find Waitrose own branded stuff to be much better quality than other supermarkets e.g. ready meals, soups, desserts, baked goods, fruit & veg. So I'd rather spend that little bit extra for something I know I will actually enjoy eating. Although if I'm honest I find that Tesco and Sainbury's prices are very similar to Waitrose anyway. Aldi is cheap but often the package sizes are smaller so the value for money isn't always there, plus I find most times the quality is disappointing.
Not every student is struggling, and in fact she might even be saving in other areas but chooses to prioritise good food over other things. In regards to Cushelle, that **** is extremely soft, once you've tried it it's hard to go back.
I would worry less about your flatmate's spending habits because it isn't really any of your business how she spends her money.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emerald777O)
And like John Lewis! I mean they can afford it then cool
John Lewis is very competitively priced given their price matching, especially for TVs where they provide a 5 year warranty as standard.
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Classic case of having more money than needed. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and she's not really harming anyone by doing it. But I can understand where you are coming from.

With some things it is nice to get the more expensive versions and to go to shops like waitrose and m&s, so I can understand wanting to splash out a bit.

But a lot of the time buying things from a more expensive shop is hilariously misguided. Often times things are are produced and made in the same factory and a different label, box or jar is used. So you're literally just paying for the brand, not the quality. This is also surprisingly true sometimes with meat. There was a big scandal recently about a meat supplier who supplies meat for everywhere from aldi to m&s. Though the scandal was about something else not relevant to this.

source: Know several people who work in food production factories and in packaging...they see this all the time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (55)
29.41%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.02%
No I am happy with my choice (103)
55.08%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.49%

Watched Threads