Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, are 2 A*s (english lit and chemistry) 5 As and 3 Bs okay to do Medicine or not? I'm worried lol (in year 12)
    -thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a medicine applicant that isn't typical of most of the ones on here i.e. I don't have 10 A* grades at GCSE etc but I went to a very bad secondary school and I've tried to tailor my choices to the med schools that don't rely so heavily on GCSE grades. Do your research, apply to the schools that will best suit you, get a solid UKCAT/BMAT score, a good personal statement and some good A level predictions. Of course it's very competitive to get in and a lot of candidates will offer a large proportion of A* and A grades, and even many of these may not get an offer the first time round. The way I see it, from Year 13 when you apply it's a two year process, as in you may have to accept without achieved A levels you won't get an offer and will have to try again after a year out. Good luck with applying.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to a bad high school but my GCSE grades in context were high compared to everybody, I was in the top six at my school so when Cambridge say they look at GCSE grades in context then I'm not sure if it'll give me a chance or not but what kinda of medical schools don't rely so heavily on GCSE grades ??
    (Original post by jsg9)
    Hi, I'm a medicine applicant that isn't typical of most of the ones on here i.e. I don't have 10 A* grades at GCSE etc but I went to a very bad secondary school and I've tried to tailor my choices to the med schools that don't rely so heavily on GCSE grades. Do your research, apply to the schools that will best suit you, get a solid UKCAT/BMAT score, a good personal statement and some good A level predictions. Of course it's very competitive to get in and a lot of candidates will offer a large proportion of A* and A grades, and even many of these may not get an offer the first time round. The way I see it, from Year 13 when you apply it's a two year process, as in you may have to accept without achieved A levels you won't get an offer and will have to try again after a year out. Good luck with applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicinemaniac)
    Hey, are 2 A*s (english lit and chemistry) 5 As and 3 Bs okay to do Medicine or not? I'm worried lol (in year 12)
    -thanks
    I think its okay!

ReputationRep:
    Oh good, I really want to apply to Cambridge and I suppose there isn't harm in trying
    (Original post by JakeSanchez42)
    I think its okay!

ReputationRep:
    Oh good, I really want to apply to Cambridge and I suppose there isn't harm in trying
    Yeah!

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to a bad high school but my GCSE grades in context were high compared to everybody, I was in the top six at my school so when Cambridge say they look at GCSE grades in context then I'm not sure if it'll give me a chance or not but what kinda of medical schools don't rely so heavily on GCSE grades ??
    Search for "medical schools council entry requirements", read the admissions policies for unis and try and find out how they weight GCSEKCAT:Predicted grades etc. I noticed you said you'd like to apply to Cambridge, and I won't try and discourage you if you're really wanting to go for it, but the median number of A* at GCSE for medicine applicants is around 10, and the mean average for the university as a whole is 8 A* at GCSE. With Medicine, because it's so competitive, if you really want to go into the career it is imperative to use your four choices very wisely. The Cambridge website does state they have no minimum number of A* grades, however, many candidates will have potentially a full sweep. Good luck with wherever you decide to apply, pick wisely and I'm sure it'll work out.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, I just think there isn't any harm in trying because they do say they look at GCSE grades in context, plus good A-level results can make up for less stellar GCSE results it states so yeah. Plus, we had somebody from Christ College come into our school earlier this week and he said there is no minimum amount of A*s but you have to have at least 5 As/A*s plus Oxbridge are apparently looking to choose people from less prestigious backgrounds etc and my postcode fits in with an area where most people don't attend university etc so like yeah, I just thought why not, but thank you so much. I'm thinking of applying to the University Of Glasgow as well, their entry requirements didn't seem too hard
    (Original post by jsg9)
    Search for "medical schools council entry requirements", read the admissions policies for unis and try and find out how they weight GCSEKCAT:Predicted grades etc. I noticed you said you'd like to apply to Cambridge, and I won't try and discourage you if you're really wanting to go for it, but the median number of A* at GCSE for medicine applicants is around 10, and the mean average for the university as a whole is 8 A* at GCSE. With Medicine, because it's so competitive, if you really want to go into the career it is imperative to use your four choices very wisely. The Cambridge website does state they have no minimum number of A* grades, however, many candidates will have potentially a full sweep. Good luck with wherever you decide to apply, pick wisely and I'm sure it'll work out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.