The Student Room Group

Core 3

I have inegrated and applied the limits 1.5 and 0 to get -10.125 as the area under the curve. But, I'm unsure on how to find the area of the shaded region?
Original post by Chelsea12345
I have inegrated and applied the limits 1.5 and 0 to get -10.125 as the area under the curve. But, I'm unsure on how to find the area of the shaded region?

You found it, just make it positive since area cannot be negative by definition. You found it negative because the curve is negative in your region of integration.
Original post by RDKGames
You found it, just make it positive since area cannot be negative by definition. You found it negative because the curve is negative in your region of integration.

You're right, i just checked the answers page. But,surely the area when integrated is the area under the curve instead of above the curve?
Reply 3
Integrating makes makes the area negative for area underneath the line y=0. Just do what RDKGames said and make it positive. This is a really annoying problem when you try to intergrate circles at the origin(obviously i do it for fun because i would have the radius and why bother doing simple stuff)
You're right, i just checked the answers page. But,surely the area when integrated is the area under the curve instead of above the curve?

This is where I dislike the notion of people saying that integration finds the area "below the curve"

In fact, integration finds the area between the curve and the x-axis. The above statement is true if your curve is above the x-axis, as then the area between the curve and the x-axis is in fact below the curve.

Besides, surely the area below the curve in your region of integration would be infinite?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
This is where I dislike the notion of people saying that integration finds the area "below the curve"

In fact, integration finds the area between the curve and the x-axis. The above statement is true if your curve is above the x-axis, as then the area between the curve and the x-axis is in fact below the curve.

I think i got taught that way in core 2 for most part but thankyou for the explanation! The question makes more sense now!! :smile:
I think i got taught that way in core 2 for most part but thankyou for the explanation! The question makes more sense now!! :smile:

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest