The Student Room Group

Imperial chances

Was wondering what the chances of me getting into Imperial, or getting an interview.I'm predicted
Maths A*
Physics A*
Economics A
My GCSEs weren't great...
Reply 1
One of my frd was predicted A*AA and he's got an interview for physics. I think the chance of having an offer after an interview is fairly high at imperial actually, (I know for chemistry it's roughly 80%), so don't worry!
Reply 2
Original post by Jess Hon
One of my frd was predicted A*AA and he's got an interview for physics. I think the chance of having an offer after an interview is fairly high at imperial actually, (I know for chemistry it's roughly 80%), so don't worry!

I'm planning to study mechanical engineering so do u think that not having further maths will be a problem? It's not a requirement on the website, but most of the people who talk about imperial say it's quite important.
Reply 3
Original post by User324
I'm planning to study mechanical engineering so do u think that not having further maths will be a problem? It's not a requirement on the website, but most of the people who talk about imperial say it's quite important.

Yh they might prefer students who have done some harder mechanics in double maths...I'm not sure bout this tbh, but I think u deffo won't get rejected if it is just because u don't do double maths, cuz it's not the entry requirement anyway. Good luck!
Have you already applied? If so there is no point asking this question
But here is my opinion if you haven't. I can't say that without Further Maths your application looks exceptionally strong, and without a 3rd science (incl. Maths) you could be at a disadvantage (Economics is not a heavily weighted subject). However, if you want to go there, apply. You have a chance, there is no reason not to. I say this to a lot of people; if you even have a chance of getting into Oxbridge/Imperial, apply. Because even if you don't get those offers, you have 3 others, and since you are an Oxbridge candidate with A* predictions, you will very likely get them. There is very rarely a downside for such high achieving students to not apply (if they want to of course).
Reply 5
Original post by Rohit Joshi
Have you already applied? If so there is no point asking this question
But here is my opinion if you haven't. I can't say that without Further Maths your application looks exceptionally strong, and without a 3rd science (incl. Maths) you could be at a disadvantage (Economics is not a heavily weighted subject). However, if you want to go there, apply. You have a chance, there is no reason not to. I say this to a lot of people; if you even have a chance of getting into Oxbridge/Imperial, apply. Because even if you don't get those offers, you have 3 others, and since you are an Oxbridge candidate with A* predictions, you will very likely get them. There is very rarely a downside for such high achieving students to not apply (if they want to of course).

Thanks for the advice. Just out of interest, last year I was taking biology and was predicted an A, but dropped it because I thought it was boring. Do you think if I had an A prediction in Biology instead of economics I would have had a stronger chance?
Also yes I have already applied 😀
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by User324
Thanks for the advice. Just out of interest, last year I was taking biology and was predicted an A, but dropped it because I thought it was boring. Do you think if I had an A prediction in Biology instead of economics I would have had a stronger chance?

I think it's important for me to mention that whether or not it gave you a better chance, that's not important anymore. But for the sake of curiosity, it MAY have helped. But not massively. After a certain point, universities want you to be really good at what's relevant, and considering Biology is similar to Economics in the sense that it isn't much of a critical thinking A-Level, it might have been nice but not a huge difference, not worth the pain.
Original post by User324

Do you reckon imperial would accept 4a*s(bio,chem,phy,maths),4as,1b for engineering or medicine?Btw,I did igcse(harder than normal gcse).
Reply 8
Original post by arizonaidiot
Do you reckon imperial would accept 4a*s(bio,chem,phy,maths),4as,1b for engineering or medicine?Btw,I did igcse(harder than normal gcse).

From what I can tell GCSEs aren't that important, especially next to predicted grades. What are u predicted?

Quick Reply

Latest