I still have to pay rent at home when I come home for the holidays...

Watch
lightfagami
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys. I have a problem.

I come from a low-income family and when I was working at home I was paying £300/m in rent.

Now I am at uni, and every time I go home I am still expected to pay this.

However, this is near enough impossible when I go home for the holidays as I will have already paid for rent up here - example, over the summer I am paying £360 a month for rent at my new house, and when I come home will be expected to pay £300 a month aswell - this means I will be paying £660 a month which I just cannot afford.

I want to come home during the holidays, especially summer to see my friends but the financial burden is too much and I'm scared I'm going to just be alone at uni over the holidays feeling depressed.

Should my parents be doing this?
yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your parents sound like ********s. Sorry.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There isn't really an answer to this as everyone is different but it does sound a bit douchey, see if you can negotiate with them?
Out of interest are they trying to put the entire rent onto you or would this just be your share?
kittycat668
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lightfagami)

I come from a low-income family and when I was working at home I was paying £300/m in rent.

However, this is near enough impossible when I go home for the holidays as I will have already paid for rent up here - example, over the summer I am paying £360 a month for rent at my new house, and when I come home will be expected to pay £300 a month aswell - this means I will be paying £660 a month which I just cannot afford.

I want to come home during the holidays, especially summer to see my friends but the financial burden is too much and I'm scared I'm going to just be alone at uni over the holidays feeling depressed.

They sound like pricks, that's pathetic, I'd understand if you were living there full time but you're not. If they need more money that bad maybe they should consider cutting down on things or getting help, seriously.
HouseOfCardsFan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I suppose it's upto your parents to be honest, as it is their home and you have technically moved out. Have you tried speaking to them about this? Perhaps offer to contribute towards bills, but explain that you are not able to pay them rent. The bills can vary massively but should be like £50 a month? Which would be more affordable for yourself.
Arianax
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your parents sound greedy.

I'm from a low-income family, I live at home but my sister doesn't. She doesn't have to pay rent. Whats the point when she already has rent to pay at university. My parents even paid her deposit etc.
nerdling_CompSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your parents are ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, you are costing them money when you're living at home.
Imperator_Intel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You don't have it so bad. A lot of people don't have parents or homes to go back to over the holidays. Talk to your parents, say you won't be able to come otherwise. I'm sure they'd be able to help you out.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Wow, i have read many of these sorts of stories but this is a new low.

I would speak to your parents and explain the financial burden of paying double rent, as you are a student and struggling with other commitments.

If they still say no, then i think you should reconsider coming home during the holidays. If you want to see your friends, maybe you should arrange plans that don't have to make u stay home for a long period.

Finally, maybe you can only come home for a weekend during the holidays to see your family. When you start adulting and have a life, you would not have time to come home a lot, so maybe it is time to get your mind into that mindset.

Good luck though.
dazee__
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can you stay at your friends house?
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Explain the problem with double rent - show them the numbers written down on a piece of paper and then see if you can negotiate a lower amount.

good luck.

---
PS it used to be possible for students to claim unemployment benefit over the summer vacation, your parents might not understand that the system has changed and you have to make the loan money last for the whole year.
numeracyhelp
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hi there, "should" is a tricky word. I guess your parents also need the money. Maybe you could try sharing the situation with them and see if they can cut you some slack. Otherwise maybe try spare room.co.uk or another sharing site. Sometimes people offer a room at very low rent because they want company. As for feeling lonely if you stay over the summer in the place you're at uni, well! You might get a nice surprise, meet some locals, get a job, get some work done to help you do well on your course. And your folks can make some money renting your room out.
ThatOldGuy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just don't go home for the holidays. Explain you can't afford it this year but maybe next year if you're working. They'll either change it or not. Either way, you aren't paying.
Krebcycle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I come from a low-income family too. All my family members are abroad studying and when they come for the holidays, they all stay at our place. It's very crowded usually with 5 in one room but we are used to it and its very fun usually. I guess my parents never liked to ask them for money except everyone contributes for the bills. Maybe you should discuss what you feel with your parents? How do they get on when you arent there? Maybe say you can contribute to some of the bills instead of the rent? Like only an amount you can afford without going broke. All the best. just talk it out.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maybe you could ask them to lower the price considering you're not there the majority of the year and they're saving money during the periods you're away? If the worst comes to worst, I'd tell them that you're not coming home for the holidays as you simply can't afford it.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As a parent who believes that working children should pay their way when living at home, regardless of parental income, this is a bit much even for me
Not the contribution part but the figures seem high when you are paying re t and not working.
You will increase the household expenses so should pay something. Gas electricity water food etc
You’re going to have to have a proper conversation with them outlining what you’ve told us. Alternatively, could you sofa surf with friends?
paulbarlow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
all a bit judgmental. we dont know why the parents need to charge there kid 300 a month. realistically whats reasonable. foods not cheap phone bill power ect it mounts up.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It would be fair for them to ask for a contribution to the extra costs. You will probably use £150-200 worth of food, gas, electric, water compared to normal while there so it's reaosnabe to help out with those things. Whether you can contribute it all depends on how well off your parents are. If they have litte income it's fair for you to pay your way. If they have plenty then they shouldn't ask for the lot given summer is a tough time for many students.

Also - if you stay in your flat you will have to pay food and bills so that's a consideration. If you can negotiate them down to the exact extra costs then it's probably better to go home.
AuroraNyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have a newfound appreciation for my family after reading this....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (565)
34.2%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (680)
41.16%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.1%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.54%

Watched Threads