Can someone score this economic essay?

Watch
BULL14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Explain what is meant by ‘monopsonistic demand for labour’ and analyse how a trade union can influence wages & employment levels in an imperfectly competitive labour market (10 marks)

A monopsony is a sole-buyer in the market. This makes the monopsony labour market an imperfect market. In labour markets, such as the NHS, the monopsony is the sole or dominant employer. In the case of a perfect monopsony, this means the demand for labour is determined by how much the monopsony wants to demand at particular wage rate.This can be depicted by figure 1.
Figure 1

The monopsonist’s level of employment is determined by the point where MRP=MC. This is the point of profit maximisation. In a perfectly competitive market, the wage rate should be at the point W1. However, in a monosomy Q2 workers should be willing to work for an hourly wage of W2. Unlike in a perfectly competitive market (where wages are W1 and labour supply Q1), the wage may be lower than the MRP of labour. This makes the monopsony the wage maker.

A trade union is an organisation formed to represent the interests of a group of workers e.g. NUT & BMA. The purpose of trade unions is to employ collective bargaining to improve conditions for work & wage rates. When trade unions enter monopsonistic labour markets it is an example of a bilateral monopoly. This is where there is a single buyer & a single seller. Figure 2 illustrates how trade unions may increase the wage rate in a monosomy.

Figure 2
W2 is the wage rate monopsonist would have paid workers without the union. Theoretically, the presence of a union should increase wages up to W1. Assuming firms pay wage rates agreed by trade unions. This now means that the profit maximising level of workers is where the horizontal line from W1 (new marginal cost curve) intersects MRP. Therefore, the no. workers employed increases from Q2 to Q1.

The union has thus managed to increase both, wages and employment, in the monopsony.

Figure 1
Figure 2
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (104)
5.14%
Uncertainty around my education (304)
15.01%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (215)
10.62%
Lack of purpose or motivation (282)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (91)
4.49%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.63%
Loneliness (175)
8.64%
Financial worries (74)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (89)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (96)
4.74%
Lack of real life entertainment (111)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (179)
8.84%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (191)
9.43%

Watched Threads