The Student Room Group

Difficult to get a job in the NHS. advice appreciated

irst of all a bit of background info- and a chance to vent and rant. I'm 36 and graduated 5 years ago with a 2:2. Since University I have worked in dead end retail jobs. Was also an estate agent for few months but that didn't work out. Basically this job is having a detrimental affect on my physical and mental health. Im putting weight on, getting more anxious and depressed and dont sleep enough. Also I feel this job is eroding my intelligence. Without meaning to humble brag, I used to be a lot smarter 5 years ago. Needless to say, I want a new job.

Anyhoo, I have tried applying for the NHS graduate program a number of times (as they don't discriminate against over 25s, as well as being open to 2:2 degree holders). Due to high volumes of competition I have never been sucessful. I have also tried applying for the more entry level positions, but they only seem to be for internal candidates who are on the bank. I mean, how do you even get onto the bank in the fist place? I have even been told that it it usually friends and relatives of present and past NHS employees who are allowed to join the bank. Any outsiders have very little chance of getting on. Probably easier to become a Freemason.
However, last month, I applied for the role of Learning and development Administrative Appreciate. I attended the interview but was turned down. The interviewer told me that I should consider applying for any NHS role as an apprentice. How would I go about that?

Any advice appreciated.
Of course if this was a pretentious thread about Atheism or Islam or some humblebrag "am I good enough with AAAAA?" there would be a larger resresponse! Sad
This website has some information about the different apprenticeships available however i don't think you'd be eligible as most apprenticeships are for under 25s without a degree

Your best bet is to keep trying. This website details how you would apply for bank.

How much experience do you have working in hospitals?
My advice would be to sign up to a temping agency. Some hospitals have their own. This will help you gain experience in the NHS and to understand how different departments work on their own and together. You'll also gain an idea of the sort of work that you enjoy - patient focus customer service or in a non front line patient role.
No. I did history and sociology, so would like to do something with statistics

Quick Reply

Latest