The Student Room Group

Jobs In Computer Science

So I'm pretty good at Computer Science, I adore the subject and it's always come naturally to me. I can program really well, the theory is really easy and I'm good at maths. Problem is that I'm good at other subjects, all of which are much more well known and respected in the grand scheme of things.

I love this subject, but I come from a low-income household (my brother earnt more in his placement year than my parents combined) so I want to make sure that when I go into the real world that there's real jobs waiting out there for me as a graduate in the field I took my degree in.

As a computer scientist I hope to do well, but will other fields really accept that computer science is a respectable subject? If I apply to a job, somewhere down the line, that isn't related to the subject then will I still get a job?

Are there even any jobs that aren't going to be taken? There's a recent influx of graduates in computer science but I haven't seen a single one go on to do anything great anywhere near where I live. Are there even any jobs at all that require me to do a degree? I've read plenty of articles on "Computer Science Graduates Have One Of The Highest Unemployment Rates Of All Degrees" etc.
Original post by AmmarTa
So I'm pretty good at Computer Science, I adore the subject and it's always come naturally to me. I can program really well, the theory is really easy and I'm good at maths. Problem is that I'm good at other subjects, all of which are much more well known and respected in the grand scheme of things.

I love this subject, but I come from a low-income household (my brother earnt more in his placement year than my parents combined) so I want to make sure that when I go into the real world that there's real jobs waiting out there for me as a graduate in the field I took my degree in.

As a computer scientist I hope to do well, but will other fields really accept that computer science is a respectable subject? If I apply to a job, somewhere down the line, that isn't related to the subject then will I still get a job?

Are there even any jobs that aren't going to be taken? There's a recent influx of graduates in computer science but I haven't seen a single one go on to do anything great anywhere near where I live. Are there even any jobs at all that require me to do a degree? I've read plenty of articles on "Computer Science Graduates Have One Of The Highest Unemployment Rates Of All Degrees" etc.

In my experience there are 2 kinds of people in CS degrees: those who love the subject and those who think it will get them a job.

You seem the former which is great. The latter normally pick up the more humdrum positions in tech.

CS related jobs pay incredibly well compared to most other degree areas. A recent study showed only Architecture, Engineering and medical grads get paid better then CS grads.

There are huge shortages in tech in areas such as software engineers, Cyber Security experts and in Data Science. So we actually aren't making enough grads atm.

Look if you check out class door you will see a ton of tech jobs paying north of 60k a year outside if London.

The key thing you need to acquire is experience. There is an even greater shortage of experienced staff in tech. Get the right experience after uni and you are set up well for a very lucrative career.

Tech is pervasive in every other sector, so having a CS degree will usually be a bonus.
Reply 2
Original post by jestersnow
In my experience there are 2 kinds of people in CS degrees: those who love the subject and those who think it will get them a job.

You seem the former which is great. The latter normally pick up the more humdrum positions in tech.

CS related jobs pay incredibly well compared to most other degree areas. A recent study showed only Architecture, Engineering and medical grads get paid better then CS grads.

There are huge shortages in tech in areas such as software engineers, Cyber Security experts and in Data Science. So we actually aren't making enough grads atm.

Look if you check out class door you will see a ton of tech jobs paying north of 60k a year outside if London.

The key thing you need to acquire is experience. There is an even greater shortage of experienced staff in tech. Get the right experience after uni and you are set up well for a very lucrative career.

Tech is pervasive in every other sector, so having a CS degree will usually be a bonus.

Question is, will it last? I've seen plenty of articles about "you don't need a degree for CS" but is that really true?
Original post by AmmarTa
Question is, will it last? I've seen plenty of articles about "you don't need a degree for CS" but is that really true?

If you're looking to become a Software Engineer/programmer, then no, you won't need a CS degree as experience is much more important for that particular job.

InfoSec/DatSci then yeah, you'll probably want a degree for that solid theoretical foundation.
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
If you're looking to become a Software Engineer/programmer, then no, you won't need a CS degree as experience is much more important for that particular job.

InfoSec/DatSci then yeah, you'll probably want a degree for that solid theoretical foundation.

I'm into programming, maybe somewhere in the middle?
Reply 5
Original post by AmmarTa

Hi

There are lots of jobs going for computer science graduates, and its a highly respected degree should you want to look for a job in another sector.

One thing that concerns me is where you say 'I haven't seen a single one go on to do anything great near where I live'. This may be important. While there are lots of great jobs in computer science, and lots of great jobs which would appreciate that choice of degree they may not be readily available where you live - at least for graduate entry roles in programming for example.

Do you live in an area with large businesses and a thriving IT sector? If not you might want to consider that you will be job hunting on a national basis for a first job.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Hi

There are lots of jobs going for computer science graduates, and its a highly respected degree should you want to look for a job in another sector.

One thing that concerns me is where you say 'I haven't seen a single one go on to do anything great near where I live'. This may be important. While there are lots of great jobs in computer science, and lots of great jobs which would appreciate that choice of degree they may not be readily available where you live - at least for graduate entry roles in programming for example.

Do you live in an area with large businesses and a thriving IT sector? If not you might want to consider that you will be job hunting on a national basis for a first job.

I live just north of Birmingham (30 minutes by car), so there's not going to be much near me but I expected to see more in Birmingham. At least I have an excuse to move away now :wink:.
Reply 7
Thirty minutes isn't far! And there is lots of industry in the West Midlands. Also not so bad to get home for a weekend from the Silicon Fen area or M4 corridor. Just be open to moving as its always hard to get a decent first job. Things get a little easier afterwards.
Original post by ajj2000
Thirty minutes isn't far! And there is lots of industry in the West Midlands. Also not so bad to get home for a weekend from the Silicon Fen area or M4 corridor. Just be open to moving as its always hard to get a decent first job. Things get a little easier afterwards.

I would also say if you are good enough you may not need to travel. Working remotely from home is getting more popular. I know of one guy in Belfast who works for a company based in silicon valley and does all of his work from home. He maybe has to go to the US once or twice a year but thats it.
Reply 9
Original post by jestersnow
I would also say if you are good enough you may not need to travel. Working remotely from home is getting more popular. I know of one guy in Belfast who works for a company based in silicon valley and does all of his work from home. He maybe has to go to the US once or twice a year but thats it.

I agree, but people dont normally get work remotely contracts straight out of university (some will - a mix of luck and demonstrable skills most graduates dont have). One problem a lot of graduates have is geographic limitations leading to underemployment.
Original post by ajj2000
I agree, but people dont normally get work remotely contracts straight out of university (some will - a mix of luck and demonstrable skills most graduates dont have). One problem a lot of graduates have is geographic limitations leading to underemployment.

I agree. I think as you say you know you will have to travel a bit initially but once you get few years of good experience under your belt you'll have a lot more choice.
Original post by AmmarTa

Cool thing about CS is if you put in the work, go to a good uni with a good course, do ECs/projects, and know your algorithms/data structures down pat you could be making a lot of money at one of the top tech companies or quant funds in a product or technical position (i.e. software eng, data scientist, product manager etc).

At the same time, other general high paying careers are also available as they are to most people on most academic degrees e.g. consulting, finance, law etc.

You also have all the average paying technical roles (of which there are a lot) that you can still get with not a huge amount of extra effort. Then of course even more general average grad schemes/jobs that tend to also be degree agnostic.

Overall, if you make the most of your time at uni you should end up in a pretty decent place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Princepieman
Cool thing about CS is if you put in the work, go to a good uni with a good course, do ECs/projects, and know your algorithms/data structures down pat you could be making a lot of money at one of the top tech companies or quant funds in a product or technical position (i.e. software eng, data scientist, product manager etc).

At the same time, other general high paying careers are also available as they are to most people on most academic degrees e.g. consulting, finance, law etc.

You also have all the average paying technical roles (of which there are a lot) that you can still get with not a huge amount of extra effort. Then of course even more general average grad schemes/jobs that tend to also be degree agnostic.

Overall, if you make the most of your time at uni you should end up in a pretty decent place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know certain people discriminate against computer science and claim it's a non respectable discipline which is why I'm worried.
Original post by AmmarTa
I know certain people discriminate against computer science and claim it's a non respectable discipline which is why I'm worried.

what, they're definitely not alright in the head 😂
Reply 14
Original post by Princepieman
what, they're definitely not alright in the head 😂

I know right! But it's a genuine concern.

Regardless of that, thank you for the advice anyway! You've really put my mind to rest!
Also, best universities outside of London for Computer Science (bar Oxbridge).
Original post by AmmarTa

Seriously - I've never heard of that. Computer Games Technology - sure, MIS, maybe, but Computer Science is highly respectable and highly academic. Think of it as the equivalent of physics if you went looking for a non-IT job.
Original post by AmmarTa

Never heard of that before!

Like @ajj2000 said, I've heard that being said for 'Games Design', 'eSports', 'Computer Games Programming' etc. etc. degrees, but not for pure Computer Science....

Quick Reply

Latest