The Student Room Group

Which place has more to do?

Which out of Newcastle, Leeds or Liverpool has more to see/do etc.
Original post by chickenfajitas
Which out of Newcastle, Leeds or Liverpool has more to see/do etc.

They are all very lively cities with lots to do.

Are you asking just about nightlife? If so are you interested in clubs or bars or a specific type of nightlife?
Or are you interested in sport (doing or watching)? Or shopping? Or other cultural stuff?

If you’re trying to shortlist a city for university then visiting is a good idea. If you can’t visit then giving an example of the sort of things you are interested in or a city that you like might help people answer your questions.
Original post by PQ
They are all very lively cities with lots to do.

Are you asking just about nightlife? If so are you interested in clubs or bars or a specific type of nightlife?
Or are you interested in sport (doing or watching)? Or shopping? Or other cultural stuff?

If you’re trying to shortlist a city for university then visiting is a good idea. If you can’t visit then giving an example of the sort of things you are interested in or a city that you like might help people answer your questions.

Just in general, I'm more into the nightlife, shopping, "cultural stuff" rather than sports
Try looking at the 'tourist' films on You Tube. These will show you what that city thinks are its good points.
Just in general, I'm more into the nightlife, shopping, "cultural stuff" rather than sports

I'm from Newcastle so I might be able to tell you a bit about it!

Nightlife wise there are a lot of bars, pubs and clubs around (I don't go myself being 17 but I know Flares is quite popular) you'll probably never run out of places to drink and there's places for every kind of outing!

The shopping there is great! The main street (Northumberland Street) and Eldon Square (main shopping centre) are both literally just across the street from the university and have tons of shops from clothes to food to tech to everything. Eldon square also holds a lot of student discount nights across the year and there are some quite good lunch places for a budget (e.g. eat4less). We're also the Greggs capital of the UK and I can vouch that you are never more than 5 minutes away from one so your sausage roll craving will never go unsatisfied.

Culture wise we have a fair that comes around once a year complete with rides, stalls, the lot. There are markets that go on almost every week or two on Grey's Street and a Christmas market that is there everyday from mid-November to early/mid-December which is always worth a look around (the food there is sooo good). We also have the big Fenwicks window fiasco at Christmas which is nice to look at. If you're into museums and art galleries there's the Hancock Museum right next door to the uni which has free entry and a short walk away is the center for life, a big science museum that hold events like ice skating and such. The Baltic is a modern art exhibition just over the water from the quayside which is always a nice walk anyway (there's also a fair share of bars and places to eat on the quayside too). In the summer if you feel like going to the beach it's a short bus ride away and Newcastle has excellent transport links.

There's probably so much more to talk about but I can't think of anything else right now! If you have anymore questions about Newcastle I'll gladly (try to) answer them.
Original post by returnmigrant
Try looking at the 'tourist' films on You Tube. These will show you what that city thinks are its good points.

Thank you, I have done that they all only show about 5 top things which isn't really that useful in seeing whether there's a lot to do than just them 5 things.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I'm from Newcastle so I might be able to tell you a bit about it!

Nightlife wise there are a lot of bars, pubs and clubs around (I don't go myself being 17 but I know Flares is quite popular) you'll probably never run out of places to drink and there's places for every kind of outing!

The shopping there is great! The main street (Northumberland Street) and Eldon Square (main shopping centre) are both literally just across the street from the university and have tons of shops from clothes to food to tech to everything. Eldon square also holds a lot of student discount nights across the year and there are some quite good lunch places for a budget (e.g. eat4less). We're also the Greggs capital of the UK and I can vouch that you are never more than 5 minutes away from one so your sausage roll craving will never go unsatisfied.

Culture wise we have a fair that comes around once a year complete with rides, stalls, the lot. There are markets that go on almost every week or two on Grey's Street and a Christmas market that is there everyday from mid-November to early/mid-December which is always worth a look around (the food there is sooo good). We also have the big Fenwicks window fiasco at Christmas which is nice to look at. If you're into museums and art galleries there's the Hancock Museum right next door to the uni which has free entry and a short walk away is the center for life, a big science museum that hold events like ice skating and such. The Baltic is a modern art exhibition just over the water from the quayside which is always a nice walk anyway (there's also a fair share of bars and places to eat on the quayside too). In the summer if you feel like going to the beach it's a short bus ride away and Newcastle has excellent transport links.

There's probably so much more to talk about but I can't think of anything else right now! If you have anymore questions about Newcastle I'll gladly (try to) answer them.

Thank you! I'm considering Newcastle to be my top choice against Leeds, so this was very helpful!!
Thank you! I'm considering Newcastle to be my top choice against Leeds, so this was very helpful!!

I'm applying to both Leeds and Newcastle too! I'm probably putting Leeds as Firm (if I get an offer) mainly because I want to go somewhere new and Leeds is a really nice place too (even though I've only been there once lmao). I was thinking Sheffield as insurance but the offer Newcastle has given me trumps Sheffield's massively so I don't even know any more :eek:
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I'm applying to both Leeds and Newcastle too! I'm probably putting Leeds as Firm (if I get an offer) mainly because I want to go somewhere new and Leeds is a really nice place too (even though I've only been there once lmao). I was thinking Sheffield as insurance but the offer Newcastle has given me trumps Sheffield's massively so I don't even know any more :eek:

No way, I'm also applying to Sheffield too ha!!! I got my offers for Leeds (AAB = lowered it from AAA) and Newcastle (AAB = lowered it from AAA) and Sheffield (AAB = kept same) so I don't really have much to go by in terms of grades.
Newcastle and Leeds uni are pretty much on par university wise so I'm basing my decision mostly on the place. Both seem to have really good culture and nightlife, but Leeds seems to have a much better shopping centre whereas Newcastle is so much different to where I live now (like it's near a beach, has a metro etc.) so I want to try somewhere new, like you. Also, I applied to Edinburgh so if I chose Newcastle I could always hop on the train and visit Edinburgh and it wouldn't take forever!!
Sheffield is also really good, I went there for the open day and it's still a strong contender, if for when I visit Newcastle/Leeds and I don't like it, I'll probably put down Sheffield. It just felt like Sheffield didn't have much to do there but I may be wrong.
I never knew choosing a university would be so hard ffsss!!!
No way, I'm also applying to Sheffield too ha!!! I got my offers for Leeds (AAB = lowered it from AAA) and Newcastle (AAB = lowered it from AAA) and Sheffield (AAB = kept same) so I don't really have much to go by in terms of grades.
Newcastle and Leeds uni are pretty much on par university wise so I'm basing my decision mostly on the place. Both seem to have really good culture and nightlife, but Leeds seems to have a much better shopping centre whereas Newcastle is so much different to where I live now (like it's near a beach, has a metro etc.) so I want to try somewhere new, like you. Also, I applied to Edinburgh so if I chose Newcastle I could always hop on the train and visit Edinburgh and it wouldn't take forever!!
Sheffield is also really good, I went there for the open day and it's still a strong contender, if for when I visit Newcastle/Leeds and I don't like it, I'll probably put down Sheffield. It just felt like Sheffield didn't have much to do there but I may be wrong.
I never knew choosing a university would be so hard ffsss!!!

I did prefer the city of Leeds to Sheffield but Sheffield had trams which was really cool! The shopping centres in Leeds looks great though. I'm not going to get an offer from Leeds until February cause that's when I have an applicant day so that kinda sucks but it gives me more time to think it over. I wish it was easier to choose because I keep changing my mind every day!
You have until next April at the earliest to decide. That’s plenty of time to visit....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending