Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

19 and no idea what I want to/can do with my life (UK) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently 19 years of age and have no idea what I want to do with my life.When I did my GCSE’s back in school I got a C in English - a C in Maths - a B in ICT - a C in History. Horrific results I know.Then I went onto do Entry Level 3 Motor Vehicle at college which wasn’t for me but I passed.I then did IT Level 2 at college and got a merit.I then tried IT Level 3 and it really wasn’t for me at all and realised that isn’t what I want to do with my life so I dropped out.Ever since then I’ve been working temporary jobs with agencies to get myself money hoping some day I’ll figure out what I want to do, but I haven’t.What are my options? Are my GCSE’s that bad I should retake a few?Go back to college?Find an apprenticeship? I have no idea what I’d want to study either, I have a keen interest in business and administration but I want to study something where I can progress more in the future, you know?Sorry for the long post, tried to cram everything in there. Just kinda feeling down about the whole situation.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Now you're 19 I'm pretty sure youd have to pay for a college course now. If you're into business and administration then do something to do with that. Start your own business maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Move to New York purchase a periauger and start your own ferry service

ReputationRep:
    Posted in the wrong thread -_- my bad, just move along.

ReputationRep:
    What is your purpose in life?

Maybe try this - stop looking for your purpose to be centered around your work/studies/career.

On average its an awful idea that leaves a lot of people unsatisfied, frustrated and feeling like they are missing something from their lives.

Only a minority of people will end up with a dream career that progresses perfectly from level to level, opening up new opportunities..

Only an even smaller minority will get that career in an area they are passionate about and live for..

The vast majority will end up working jobs they don't love, or don't fit the desirable 'career' model etc.

---

So what can you do? Find purpose in meaningful things that bring you joy and that you can find purpose in - then use your work to facilitate them, rather then relying on the work to give you purpose.

For example, the most common of these for the past few hundred years was: Family.

People lived for their families, the ones they loved.. work is just their to facilitate giving more and having a better family. Obviously now we have a wider diversity of passions, it could be an interest, a hobby, a life-style, or anything else instead of family.. but I still defend that the most healthy way to live your life is to have purpose outside of work, and then use your work to facilitate and improve your purpose. IF you then get the opportunity and can pursue work that you love, its a bonus.

I don't love my work - (I do enjoy it a bit) - but it pays the bills, it lets me and my wife have what we want, its growing and giving us a better life year by year, and one day soon it will support our future children. It does not matter to my inner being though if I have to change career, or move about.. because my purpose, the thing that keeps me going is not work - its family.

---

So my recommendation to you is to find yourself meaning outside of work.. then look in a very cold and logical manner about what lines of work do you have available to you that can best provide for your desired purpose, giving you the most money, and the best balance between money and time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Find what you would love to do.

You've already eliminated some of this that the motor vehicle and IT course wasn't for you.

Do you enjoy buildings, infrastructure, highways? Perhaps a civil engineering, the built environment or a construction management course or degree could be for you.

There's many options but since you d already done a level 3, im sure you will have to pay for your course. However there are adult learners loans for this.

You could also study any degree you want with the Open University.

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.