The Student Room Group

English Literature

Hey, I have mock exams next week. I need to remember quotes from 15 poems, 2 plays and a novella. I've done my analysis but I just can't seem to remember quotes. I really need to remember them by Monday. Any tips? Also, how many should I remember?
(edited 6 years ago)
quizlet, tinycards and songs on youtube helped me for lit paper 1 ( I have paper 2 week after next!)
good luck with mocks!
For my revision I used to plan essays and then bullet point what I would say if it came up in the exam. So like for Macbeth, for the question 'How is corruption shown in Macbeth', I would have written like six or seven quotes, and then bullet pointed a couple of things about them, pulling them apart and analysing the use of structure and language in each. That way, you don't have to learn as many quotes, especially if they overlap with other essay titles. It got me an 8 in English lit, so definitely worth a try if you work best revising from lists or that sort of thing.
Original post by Toastiekid
quizlet, tinycards and songs on youtube helped me for lit paper 1 ( I have paper 2 week after next!)
good luck with mocks!

Hey thanks, I have a few quizlet flashcards. Good luck on your paper too!
Original post by Vanilla Twilight
For my revision I used to plan essays and then bullet point what I would say if it came up in the exam. So like for Macbeth, for the question 'How is corruption shown in Macbeth', I would have written like six or seven quotes, and then bullet pointed a couple of things about them, pulling them apart and analysing the use of structure and language in each. That way, you don't have to learn as many quotes, especially if they overlap with other essay titles. It got me an 8 in English lit, so definitely worth a try if you work best revising from lists or that sort of thing.

Hey, that seems like a good idea. I was trying to condense information and analysis down but this seems like a good way to link it to exam practice. I'm hoping for a grade above 7. Thanks!
Original post by AmritaB
Hey, that seems like a good idea. I was trying to condense information and analysis down but this seems like a good way to link it to exam practice. I'm hoping for a grade above 7. Thanks!

No problem! This worked really well with poetry too. I paired all the poems up and then looked for themes, similarities and differences between them, and again, you hardly need to know loads of quotes if you can analyse and talk about them effectively.
Try to find 6 or 7 good quotes that you can use in detail no matter what the question. Might also be worth learning a couple of throwaway quotes - I don't know what your texts are but for me it was Mr Hyde="damned juggernaut". etc. that you can drop in. For learning the poetry quotes I stuck them up around my room. All that being said, I didn't start properly revising until February, so don't burn yourself out. I didn't do great on mocks but got an 8 in the summer :smile:
Original post by JoeHill00
Try to find 6 or 7 good quotes that you can use in detail no matter what the question. Might also be worth learning a couple of throwaway quotes - I don't know what your texts are but for me it was Mr Hyde="damned juggernaut". etc. that you can drop in. For learning the poetry quotes I stuck them up around my room. All that being said, I didn't start properly revising until February, so don't burn yourself out. I didn't do great on mocks but got an 8 in the summer :smile:

Hey, thanks for the tips. And yeah, I don't wanna burn myself out but I have to meet expectations since these mock results will be talked about in parents evening which is greaaaaat.. !

Quick Reply

Latest